Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM training after a breakup [bufit323] [ In reply to ]

I am sure there is a problem with the timing chip or something.

Here is the IMFL photos: http://www.shopfinisherpix.com/...a-2012/pbib/461.html

So she swam a slightly above average IM Swim/Below average IM Bike and pretty decent/ok IM Marathon. I guess that could happen but not sure why the runs times only show up to 13.1 then jump to a finish of 26.2. That marathon is a 9:29mi pace for 26.2 miles.

Two months before IMFL she ran a 10 mile road race and averaged 10:39/mi miles; who knows.....

Re: IM training after a breakup [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]

agreed. a witch hunt is never in good taste and is truly a poor form of bullying. at best it's no better than the kid on the play ground yelling "cheater cheater cheater", not saying anything we do is above playground level already (we ride bikes and go 'swimming', sounds like childs play really)

i started this morning for the first time opening this thread and reading it from the start. when i got to the end, the hunt had already started. crazy turn of events and as a story line i TOTALLY didn't see that plot twist coming.

i admit to doing my own quiet research.

Tim

Tim

Re: IM training after a breakup [trijedi] [ In reply to ]

trijedi wrote:
I know what you mean. ST isn't nice once there is blood in the water.

Here's an interesting post by the OP from July 2012...

iJen0311 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Another piece of advice when starting lap 2: Instead of jumping into the water as soon as you can (that yellow buoy right on the beach in the pic), run down the beach to where the swim initially started and start swimming lap 2 from there. Two reasons: 1) you can cover that distance much faster running than you can swimming and 2) you wont have to fight the current.

I think I'd prefer just swimming one lap ;)

And I thought I was going to get some work done this morning....

Re: IM training after a breakup [Newyorkfan21] [ In reply to ]

Newyorkfan21 wrote:
I am sure there is a problem with the timing chip or something.

Here is the IMFL photos: http://www.shopfinisherpix.com/...a-2012/pbib/461.html

So she swam a slightly above average IM Swim/Below average IM Bike and pretty decent/ok IM Marathon. I guess that could happen but not sure why the runs times only show up to 13.1 then jump to a finish of 26.2. That marathon is a 9:29mi pace for 26.2 miles.

Two months before IMFL she ran a 10 mile road race and averaged 10:39/mi miles; who knows.....

Based on those pics, she changes clothes and gender alot in an IM......

Re: IM training after a breakup [trijedi] [ In reply to ]

trijedi wrote:
I know what you mean. ST isn't nice once there is blood in the water.

Here's an interesting post by the OP from July 2012...

iJen0311 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Another piece of advice when starting lap 2: Instead of jumping into the water as soon as you can (that yellow buoy right on the beach in the pic), run down the beach to where the swim initially started and start swimming lap 2 from there. Two reasons: 1) you can cover that distance much faster running than you can swimming and 2) you wont have to fight the current.

I think I'd prefer just swimming one lap ;)

Thats funny a little bird send me a link to this thread

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4060842;page=3;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Tri_biker wrote:
Why do you say that?
iJen0311
Because you swim one loop, get out and run and start a second loop. There's not much to stop people from doing one loop if all they desired was a finisher's medal.

Re: IM training after a breakup [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]

As you know during an IM for your photos it is common to get other peoples photos mixed in yours....that isn't unusual

Re: IM training after a breakup [Newyorkfan21] [ In reply to ]

but once again, just compare the same name (same state, profession etc etc) finishing times with Augusta 70.3 from 2011 and Ironman 2012 and it's obvious. Forget even searching for pictures.

Re: IM training after a breakup [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]

Evidence is mounting. Something tells me this isn't going to end well.

Re: IM training after a breakup [dstu] [ In reply to ]

...and I suspect this thread will be locked and someone will be calling Slowman a commie by lunch.

This is pretty sad on all fronts, I wish the person didn't feel the need to do it, i wish they didn't feel the need to claim their medal, I wish we didn't find out about it and I wish I didn't have knowledge of this type of behavior at a race. Just reduces the experience for me (a little).

I love going down at 11:00 and watching those people come down the chute; hopefully I will be able to watch them next year and not think: "they probably cut the run course in half" or "they probably only did one swim loop"

Just wish I hadn't heard about this. Can't turn back time I guess.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes

Re: IM training after a breakup [IronLance] [ In reply to ]

IronLance wrote:
profession

The most disappointing part...

Re: IM training after a breakup [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]

How do I go about getting the movie rights to this?

She's not a big fan of cheaters......

"There were peletons on the bike leg. I know this is news to no one but I was a bit shocked when the course marshals just rolled past groups of drafters without making any notes. Thumbs down to the massive amounts of drafting."

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.

Post deleted by razorbacksteve [ In reply to ]
Re: IM training after a breakup [iJen0311] [ In reply to ]

I don't know this person, but after reading the post everything seems so odd. If her break-up was bad enough to derail her training how is she already with someone new. But I guess you can't always control when you find someone.
As far as the results. We all shouldn't get wrapped up in them. Yes, it does suck when someone cheats. And yes the integrity of our sport is compromised when people do cheat like that. But all of us honest athletes can display our medals on the wall and bib numbers for all the races we have done because we fought honestly that day. It might not have been the best race but sometimes hard days are the ones we enjoy the most because we fought through and finished. For her however everything might just get tucked away in a drawer and it will be awkward when someone brings it up to her.
We work hard for our war stories but don't let someone else bring you down. They have to live with what they did. We don't.

Re: IM training after a breakup [KoNP] [ In reply to ]

KoNP wrote:
so could you confirm that the OP is bib 461?

I am, and I did not cut the course. I've privately explained the issue with Slowman and shared with him the names of the folks I've been dealing with at IM to have the timing corrected.

I know I'm not fast, I'm nowhere near a kona qualifier, and I didn't cut the course.

Someone referenced my time at Augusta last year which yes, was dismal (in many ways, that are pointless here). I had a terrible race for quite a few reasons and worked over the last year to overcome them. I still haven't figured out long distance racing as you can see I had no idea how to pace the bike versus the run.

I raced IMFL for no one but myself and cheating would have only been a waste of time, money, and effort.

You may carry on with the witch hunt now.

iJen0311 wrote:
KoNP wrote:
so could you confirm that the OP is bib 461?

I am, and I did not cut the course. I've privately explained the issue with Slowman and shared with him the names of the folks I've been dealing with at IM to have the timing corrected.

I know I'm not fast, I'm nowhere near a kona qualifier, and I didn't cut the course.

Someone referenced my time at Augusta last year which yes, was dismal (in many ways, that are pointless here). I had a terrible race for quite a few reasons and worked over the last year to overcome them. I still haven't figured out long distance racing as you can see I had no idea how to pace the bike versus the run.

I raced IMFL for no one but myself and cheating would have only been a waste of time, money, and effort.

You may carry on with the witch hunt now.

So glad to hear this. Hope all turns out well.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Last edited by: razorbacksteve: Nov 8, 12 9:26

It sure would help if there were more pics of you running. But of course that's not your fault. Just bad luck, really bad luck.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.

Re: IM training after a breakup [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]

pattersonpaul wrote:
It sure would help if there were more pics of you running. But of course that's not your fault. Just bad luck, really bad luck.

Yeah, I get that. I don't know where the course photographers were, but I do remember the one at the state park turn around dismantling his camera the second time I went through (maybe because it was getting dark?). I don't know if he was an official photog or not, but he had a pretty serious setup.

I just looked up a training partner who raced as well, and he only had 1 run pic (bib 1804).

Re: IM training after a breakup [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]

Congrats.....that's a great improvement in just a year. Especially the swim with a fast current assisted swim of 49 and change to a very choppy ocean swim supposedly in 1:20 as you say. And a 2:54 half marathon to a 4:08 marathon after double the bike mileage. Impressive especially after being hit by a car in training.

Can you share your coaches name/contact with me. I'm currently looking for one.

Re: IM training after a breakup [IronLance] [ In reply to ]

IronLance wrote:
Congrats.....that's a great improvement in just a year. Especially the swim with a fast current assisted swim of 49 and change to a very choppy ocean swim supposedly in 1:20 as you say. And a 2:54 half marathon to a 4:08 marathon after double the bike mileage. Impressive especially after being hit by a car in training.

Can you share your coaches name/contact with me. I'm currently looking for one.

Cute. As I alluded to earlier, when I raced Augusta, I had a very bad race. I did not swim the 1.2- I got very anxious at the start and basically floated/dog paddled the whole way. This made me realize that I'd never be able to race anything long distance without swim work. Since May, I've done a weekly 2.5 mile swim (1.25 out with current, 1.25 back against) in the ocean to prepare me for the swim. As for the run, I was also unprepared in Augusta for the hills, and when I got off the bike I had bricks for legs. I walked the entire thing, and actually almost had my chip pulled when the course was closed for weather.

I should know that explanations are fruitless, but figured I might as well.

Hi Jen,

Thanks for coming back on the thread. I am glad to hear that the course was not cut. This really was a standout performance for you compared to past results, not just Augusta, especially given the training challenges. What did you do to improve your IM run split to 9:29 min/mile when your recent 5ks are in the 11 to 12 minute per mile range and half marathons in the 14 to 15 minute per mile range? Was it a new dedication to training that did not exist before? Your swim pace improvement to 1:46/100m is also very impressive, compared to Miamispeed sprint at 3:30/100m and of course Augusta at 2:34, the best triathlon swim split reported in your Athlinks results. Did you join a masters team or get private coaching? Thanks.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Re: IM training after a breakup [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]

Yes Row, I did have a few sessions with a swim coach. However, as I explained in the post above you, my fears of the water was my major obstacle. This is actually the first tri I've done where I've actually swam the whole thing instead of flailed through it, and I felt very comfortable.

I ran most of my recent 5ks and 13.1's with my ex who had a herniated disc in his back, so we typically jogged together. I'm no fast runner, but typically ran 9-10/min miles in training. I trained with Fink's competitive Ironfit plan but scaled back to "just finish" after some training snags.

Thanks for filling us in on your training improvements.

I can't figure out what happened to your chip during the run. Each of the first 6 run splits shows a somewhat consistent pace progressively adding the split time to the race time, including the first one adding to the race time at the end of the bike plus T2. The splits leading to a race time at 13 miles of 13:51 and then jumps to the finish 5 minutes later at 13:56 which matches your finisherpix. I would have expected one of the splits somewhere along the way to show a huge gap for the period that your chip wasn't working.

I can see scenarios that would lead to the missing swim split/super long T1.

I know you told Slowman but, you could probably call off this "witch hunt" by explaining what happened with your chip.

You know, I'm not going to judge anything here, but if you have a Garmin file or some GPS device that could be referenced it would quell the doubters and put more trust in your claims. Otherwise it's an uphill battle for you and the evidence against your claims are not in your favor. Congrats on at least getting to the starting line :-)

Prev Next