Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM to sprint distance training.
Quote | Reply
I finished my A race which was a full distance last Sunday. I got my nutrition very wrong and ended up at 13:22. I entered a local sprint as I liked the city centre route but now I want to restore some self pride and get a decent time. The sprint is in 23 days time (27 days after the IM). How should I go about improving speed for the sprint? How much rest should I have?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: IM to sprint distance training. [Earthwormjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really not a ton of time to properly recover & build back up. I wouldn't get too carried away, as you're just gonna risk injury. I take it the sprint is 4 weeks post IM. The first week can be completely off or a handful of easy training activities. Week 2 should be maybe 50-60% of IM training volume. 1 light workout per discipline is fine. I would start that towards the end of week 2. Week 3 can be 80% of IM training volume. 1-2 normal workouts per discipline. Have the intensity mirror the sprint distance. The last week is race week so a normal taper type week, mimicking the 50-60% week. Workouts should be easy. Threshold stuff is fine the week of the race. You're really looking at a 10 day block from 2.5 weeks to 1 week to go.

I wouldn't recommend trying to cram in a bunch of speed stuff right after an IM. If you can find another sprint or olympic 4-8 weeks after that race then that would be a better race to expect a good result at. Gives you time to recover and time to make training adaptations.

At this point, fitness isn't going to change much before your sprint. Your body probably hasn't been asked to do a ton of speed stuff in the IM build. I would consider those things, set realistic goals, and plan races out to give yourself a good shot at doing what you want to do when it comes to racing.

Slowtwitch Editorial Team // < url url=https://www.instagram.com/...gt;Instagram</url > // < url url=https://twitter.com/...t>Twitter</url >
Quote Reply
Re: IM to sprint distance training. [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your help, 6 weeks on from the sprint I'm doing the run leg of a 70.3 relay for my club, really looking forward to it.

Next week I'm in the mountains and lakes with my folks which is usually lots of slow but steep trail running with my old dad and lake swimming, I'll bring my bike too.

I polarize my bike and swim training (but not run-injury) so I should have some speed there just not on the run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easiest thing to improve your time is to practice and hone your transitions.

Not the answer you wanted, but probably what you have time and energy for and it is not dangerous to your health.

I've had my PR marathon 2 weeks after my first 50 miler. During those 2 weeks I only did very light low mileage training. Your fitness will be outstanding so it is about executing at max HR for 1 hour.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: IM to sprint distance training. [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your input. Makes sense! Transition takes a greater percentage of total time in sprint than in long distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% agree with dcpinsonn

If i was training for a spring... i wil try to run sub 20 mins (<4min/km) where i may target 3:15:00 for an (4:45-4:50)... no way i could safely make the make that switch in few weeks.

But if you are just looking to run a sprint at your IM pace (small success)... that should be easy.
Quote Reply
Re: IM to sprint distance training. [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One year - I was focussed on Kona....
I was doing high volume with a little quality/High intensity mixed in.
I did great at Olympic distance nationals that year.
And beat a rival who was training specifically for Olympic distance.

A year later, I was focussed on Olympic Distance (worlds in Chicago).
I was doing more quality/High intensity and less volume.
I didn't do very well.
Also I was crushed by the rival I had beaten the year before.
He was focused on Kona.

There might be a moral to this story.
Or maybe two.

1) We should always do some high intensity work in each sport.
2) Most AG athletes (even those who aspire to podiums and top finishes at Kona) could benefit from more volume.
Quote Reply
Re: IM to sprint distance training. [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
Easiest thing to improve your time is to practice and hone your transitions.

This is the answer Op!

In 70.3/IM transitions are a drop in the bucket.
Sprints your doing the same transitions as a longer race but the percentage of the overall race is SOO much more drastic.

This weekend I did a small local sprint. Came out of the water and there were a bunch of other guys right near me fumbling with their bikes/shoes/etc. I beat them all out of T1. Only 2 of them passed me on the bike. Got into T1 and those same 2 guys who passed me were there and I beat them out of transition again. I'm a shitty runner so they ended up passing me, but if I was as bad as them at Transitions I would have definitely been a few spots down and an overall slower time. I think both my transitions were under 1 min each. My wife said she saw some people in transition for almost 5 mins!
Last edited by: Vetratten: Aug 2, 21 16:26
Quote Reply