Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM nutrition take 37 - lets talk about the run
Quote | Reply
After starting my third and finishing my second IM at Pineman this last weekend I have come to the inescapable conclusion that I am missing part of the equation. I know I was moderately undertrained for this race but I think there were other things at work.

Lets forget about the aborted swim in the fog and go with the rest. I felt great nutrition wise on the bike and after getting off. I had a solid 5:44 ride and had forced myself to relax and take it very easy. I followed that up with a miserable 5:17 run. The first 9+ miles of the run were right on 10:00 - 10:30 pace. Then my right calf started cramping and I had other obvious signs of nutrition/hydration distress, i.e. light-headed, slightly elevated heart rate, muddled thinking, etc. that I did not have 30 - 60 minutes prior. Looking back into the race, my nutrition got haphazard on the run. I was very methodical on the bike but once on the run I wasn't. I peed in T2 but not again until mile 15 or so after upping my fluid intake once I noticed things going south. I had a gel near the beginning of the run but my stomach wasn't happy with that and I got lost on calories too. I sweat heavily and take salt tabs but those weren't making my stomach happy either. From mile 10 - 20 I walked a lot more than I ran trying to recover. I was able to run about half the way in the last 6.5 miles.

So the question is, what is your IM Marathon nutrition plan? Mine is obviously not working.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: IM nutrition take 37 - lets talk about the run [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only say what has worked for me. Double gu to start the run. 1 gu every 30 min subsequently. Drink gatorade and diluted endurox or accelerade during the run from fuel belt & grab gatorade & water at aid stations. Succeed salt tab every 30-90 min, depending on the heat. I grab a whole banana @ special needs and eat it while running. I also will grab fruit from aid stations and eat while running if I need a pick me up. If I really feel like I need a pick-me-up I will grab cola. I've also eaten ritz peanut butter cracker sandwiches on the run w/ good results. I tend to drink/eat on feel the last hour or so. I never pee during the marathon or bike ride, but that's normal for me. I've done 2 IM's w/ virtually no walking using this plan. The 96-degree walkfest that was CDA is another story. I walked plenty, but managed to salvage a 4:07 split, good for 119th on that hot day.

IMO, people don't eat enough during the marathon. People focus on their nutrition plan on the bike, but don't spend enough time on their marathon plan. In my 1st, I ate loads of fruit during the marathon, at one point even grabbing a whole peach from a spectator and devouring it while running the next 1/2 mile. This year, I switched from all gatorade to accelerade and diluted endurox along w/ the gatorade to add extra calories, so I didn't have to eat quite as much fruit. Obviously figure out what works for you in training. I think you've gotta have a couple of 8-9 hour days to work on a nutrition plan if nothing else. One nice thing about these workouts is that they end in the hotter part of the day(when you will actually be running). I also do about a 1/3 of my long runs in the hottest part of the day.

You are using buffered salt tabs, right? Granted, I tend to have an iron stomach, but the only times I have been nauseous during training were when I was using regular, unbuffered salt tabs.

Hope there's something there that helps
Last edited by: jaylew: Aug 1, 04 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: IM nutrition take 37 - lets talk about the run [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the difference between "buffered salt tabs" and Endurolytes? I'm beginning to think my stomach problems on the run are due to the Endurolytes.
Quote Reply
Re: IM nutrition take 37 - lets talk about the run [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, there is a lt there I can use. My IM DNF was at Coeur d'Alene so I know how good that 4:07 actually was. I went too hard for my abilities in the heat and didn't do enough to stay cool on the bike, one giant case of heat stroke later I had to quit about 2 miles into the run and stagger into the med tent as I went by.

I use Endurolytes for electrolyte tabs and I know I don't eat enough on the run. My problem seems to start with the fact that by the time I hit the run I am so tired of gels that I could scream. I've tried Carbo Pro some over the summer and I think maybe that will work better for me on the run. I just hadn't worked it out enough prior to Pineman to trust switching over. I may as well have for the run, it wasn't going to get much worse. The fruit would probably be a good switch too. I would probably also do well to look at the double gel to start the run, I'm usually moving a little slower to start the run any way and they would have time to settle.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: IM nutrition take 37 - lets talk about the run [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I use Endurolytes for electrolyte tabs and I know I don't eat enough on the run. My problem seems to start with the fact that by the time I hit the run I am so tired of gels that I could scream. I know what you mean. I try to switch what I'm drinking and eating from bike to run for this reason. I do no gels at all on the bike. Just solids and liquids. I also switched from accelerade on bike and run, to diluted endurox on the run for the change in taste. I've tried Carbo Pro some over the summer and I think maybe that will work better for me on the run. I just hadn't worked it out enough prior to Pineman to trust switching over. I may as well have for the run, it wasn't going to get much worse. The fruit would probably be a good switch too. I would probably also do well to look at the double gel to start the run, I'm usually moving a little slower to start the run any way and they would have time to settle. I do mine while I'm in T2.
Quote Reply
Re: IM nutrition take 37 - lets talk about the run [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What's the difference between "buffered salt tabs" and Endurolytes? I'm beginning to think my stomach problems on the run are due to the Endurolytes.
I've never used edurolytes, but I believe they are buffered. The ones you get at the pharmacy that are just NaCl are definitely not.
Quote Reply