Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM nutrition, salty food for Bike leg ?
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

Now that I am slowwwly but surely ramping up my mileage for GFT , I find it hard to stomach all the sweet stuff and I tend to stop eating after 5-6 hours ( my bike eta will be 7-8 at GFT ) -- and I know that this is a big NO NO ! But I really feel nauseous even thinking about my favorite kg bars.

Pretzels ? hmmm not very tempting. what else can I stash away in my special needs bag for the 2nd part of the bike so I can get some calories in ?

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: IM nutrition, salty food for Bike leg ? [triagainorlando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IANAT ( I am not a triathlete - cyclist only ) but during my long training rides, I pack salty crackers ( Kraft/Nabisco's "Club Social" and Nestlé's "Saltclic" are my favorites - don't know what is avaiable to you though, this is Brazil here ).
A single serving pack (3 crackers) has 120 calories, 20g of carbs and 3g of proteins, besides all the salt you need.
On my even longer rides I may also have a bread/cream cheese/cheese/ham sandwitch packed in a jersey pocket, but that is usually a no-no for race day.

Good luck nevertheless, whatever you choose!

Rick

Ricardo Wickert | Team Magnesium Pur - Germany | My sporadically updated blog: The Thin Grad Line | My team-issued TT bike: Trek Speed Concept 9

2015 Sponsors & Partners: Magnesium Pur | Ullmax | B&W Bike Cases | Ristorante La Dolce Vita | Trek Bikes via Bici-Sport Binder
Quote Reply
Re: IM nutrition, salty food for Bike leg ? [wickert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm going to jump on the cracker idea. while i haven't done an ironman i've done enough long cross country marches to recomend cheezits (spelling?). salty, cheesy and portable. a package of these towrd the end of a mission or march could get you many things. money, kit, haircuts. ummm cheezits. cheese...

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Potatoes.

Cook some small potatoes, like the red ones, the night before until they are just slightly soft, but don't mush up. Leave the peeling on. Drain the water, stir in some butter and salt, and put them in your special needs bag. They will be a welcome relief from the sweet stuff and the processed bars and gels, and you will get some salt along with carbohydrates. Try it in training first, obviously, but this seems to work well for lots of people because potatoes are so easily digestible. Have a great IM!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first IM at Lake Placid 10 days ago and I ate Ritz Peanut Butter crackers during the second half of the bike. They go down easy and taste good.

Good Luck,

Tridad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I strongly suggest you try Carbo Pro. You can mix a very high concentration that is easy to get down since it is not sweet. I have the exact problem you have. I can't get other stuff down as the hours drag on.

Carbo Pro won't give you any salt that you may need in the hot conditions. Taking a few salt tablets along the way should be just the trick. Give it a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Ironman 5 times. Try Pringles.

1. High Fat Content so they stick to your ribs

2. High Salt Content so they help prevent muscle cramps

3. Very easy to swallow (they don't take much chewing)

4. You can get small cans at most rest stops which fit into your special needs without being too cumbersome

Potatoes are an old Ultra-Runner standby, but I think it's a bit too heavy for Ironman. In addition, it takes slightly more work. Stick with things which are already packaged and keep your life simplified on race day.

Another good drink is Sustained Energy. You can mix 1200 calories in a large bottle and flavor it to your liking. I highly recommend this product to all my athletes doing Ironman. It's Maltodextrin based so it doesn't cause as much stomach distress as other products.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: IM nutrition, salty food for Bike leg ? [wickert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bom dia, Rick :-)

Ever pack any Guarana for after the ride? Ooooh, do I miss Guarana!

p.s. email me offline I've got some things to chat about re:Brazil. You can reach me at fey2k at yahoo dot com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pringles and corn chips are my favorites. For a sugar boost, nothing beats a Snickers -- yum!
Quote Reply