Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM flat tire paranoia - tube recommendations?
Quote | Reply
I've been having some bad luck with flats lately and I'm getting paranoid about the possibility of another during IMMT in two weeks.

Looking for some quality tubes for the ride. Any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: IM flat tire paranoia - tube recommendations? [eisforurgent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe check the rim tape? I've been riding FLOs with Conti GP4000s and Q-tubes for 4-5 years now, and think I've had 2 flats total.
Quote Reply
Re: IM flat tire paranoia - tube recommendations? [eisforurgent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Latex tubes are the fastest.

Practice changing tires/tubes and the fear will go away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If properly installed, tubes make little difference in flat protection. Latex tubes can help prevent some pinch flats, but take a little more care to install properly, which as already mentioned can cause flats.

Anytime you get a flat, you should determine the cause. Sometimes it's difficult to do on the side of the road, but if you can't figure it out then, you should do it at the end of the ride. That will greatly decrease the chance of another flat compared to simply swapping out the tube and continuing to ride on. Saving the flat tube and finding where the hole (or what type of hole) in the tire is will help immensely.

If you're constantly getting pinch flats, that could be a sign that you're either not installing your tubes properly, you're not running enough tire pressure, or you're simply not avoiding cracks, potholes, or rocks that you should be avoiding.

If you're constantly getting punctures on the side of the tube that faces the rim, then your rim tape might need to be adjusted or replaced...or you might have something sharp in your rim bed.

If you're constantly getting punctures from the tire facing side of the rim, are you getting them in the same place? Are you sure you have removed the sharp object from the tire? Sometimes they are not easy to see or feel. This is why saving the punctured tube helps so you can match up the hole in the tube with the tire for further inspection.
Quote Reply
Re: IM flat tire paranoia - tube recommendations? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am already running latex, but I am wondering what everyone uses in their flat kits for a spare tube? An extra latex tube or butyl ?
Quote Reply
Re: IM flat tire paranoia - tube recommendations? [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your flat kit must be a butyl tube as co2 will not last very long in a latex tube.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved over to tubeless in April. I have had 3 punctures (glass and other road debris) since then which have all self sealed while riding. The most I had to do for any was hit a CO2 because the tire pressure had dropped to about 20-25 psi before it sealed (I was still able to maintain 20-21mph for about 5 miles before I decided to pull over). Took all of about 30 seconds to top it off and continued riding for a month before I recently removed the tire to do an actual patch. After seeing how fast they are and how well they self seal I have stopped carrying my emergency inner-tube all together. Tubeless is now my setup for my race wheels for what it is worth. -Chris

---
You'e opinion is only as good as your signature line
-Chris
Quote Reply
Re: IM flat tire paranoia - tube recommendations? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
If properly installed, tubes make little difference in flat protection. Latex tubes can help prevent some pinch flats, but take a little more care to install properly, which as already mentioned can cause flats.

Anytime you get a flat, you should determine the cause. Sometimes it's difficult to do on the side of the road, but if you can't figure it out then, you should do it at the end of the ride. That will greatly decrease the chance of another flat compared to simply swapping out the tube and continuing to ride on. Saving the flat tube and finding where the hole (or what type of hole) in the tire is will help immensely.

If you're constantly getting pinch flats, that could be a sign that you're either not installing your tubes properly, you're not running enough tire pressure, or you're simply not avoiding cracks, potholes, or rocks that you should be avoiding.

If you're constantly getting punctures on the side of the tube that faces the rim, then your rim tape might need to be adjusted or replaced...or you might have something sharp in your rim bed.

If you're constantly getting punctures from the tire facing side of the rim, are you getting them in the same place? Are you sure you have removed the sharp object from the tire? Sometimes they are not easy to see or feel. This is why saving the punctured tube helps so you can match up the hole in the tube with the tire for further inspection.
During the ride, after you unmount the flat tire, inspect it for anything obvious, then run a cotton ball around the inside of the tire and the rim. It'll pick up small debris you might have overlooked (thorn, glass, etc), without cutting your finger. You can just tuck a cotton ball inside your spare tube so it's there when you change a flat.

If you inspect the old tube at the end of the ride and still can't find the puncture, add some air and submerge it in the bathtub.
Quote Reply