Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM confidence to doubts
Quote | Reply
Last week did a half Im for training in 6 hrs (for those who saw that post). Today in Montana did PEAKS to Praires..9 mile run followed by 43 mile bike then 22 mile kayak. Dis the run in 67 the bike had a brutal head wind,avg. 21.5mph for 2 hr then kayak in 2 and one half. In the bike at 30 miles had cramps in quad and hamstring. Here is what is depressing,a couple guys just smoked me on the bike. They only train a couple days a week while I have been doing 9 to 11 hrs aerobic a week for two years.I have no previous sports background beyond 2 and ahalf years ago( I am 43)To train so hard for so long and just get smoked,...well,..depressing.I have a IM in 9 weeks.I was looking at 13 hrs,now ??To just finish is "yes" quite a accomplishment.To work so hard just to find out,yes you can finish but you will never be even a middle of the packer,well takes the wind out of your sails. Well, I am still going to do this,Have any of you had your doubts like this. I am new to Tri"s and compitition. Is this just a learning curve. It seams at 43 I am always competing against people that have been athletes for years.....I read once that when you start tri"s that no matter what your age you will see improvement on timesfor 5 yrs..? Is this true. Its funny but after reading posts of how the race fees are high, this is the reason that will not let me quit my goal today. Thanks for listening to the rant Ken
Quote Reply
Re: IM confidence to doubts [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ken,

i have thoughts like this all the time (especially after reading some of the times people on this message board are pulling off!). i started doing triathlons 3 years ago (this summer will be my 4th season). i have NEVER stuck with any exercise/ sport that long (aside of some casual cycling, which i have done all my life). i train year round, and sacrifice a lot of free time to devote to this sport. why? BECAUSE IT'S FUN!!!! fast times, PR's, and personal expectations aside, that's what it always boils down to in the end. hope it's the same for you. if so, don't let negative thoughts discourage you. if you walk away from that race knowing you did your best and had some fun in the process, you can't ask for more than that. best of luck with the IM!

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: IM confidence to doubts [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you sydnrusty. I did have fun,was having fun,just had these studs that humbled me. Funny, on a couple of these threads it is the overall opinion that to qualify for Hawaii has nothing to do with genetics just effort. At my YMCA there is a group that runs daily(all over 40)they all ran mile times of 4:06 to 4 :30 when they were young. When I was in the USMC my best was a 5:50 at 18 yrs old yet I could out hump them in the mountains with a 85lb pack. Now they can do a stand alone marathon in 3:05 to 3:15 while I can do one in 3:45. I have worked extremely hard for two years and all I can hope for is respectability.I know I know... do not worry what others think, race your race for yourself,great...tell that to yourself three hours out on a course as others pass you while your working hard after training hard.... Sorry,unusual postfor me, bad day probably will not hear this again Been there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're getting worked up over nothing to be honest.

Firstly the 5 year thing is probably correct, might even be longer for some people, just look at Paula Radcliffe it has taken nearly ten years for her to come close to peaking and she's not even there.

Now the first IM scenario. I have to be honest and say I had absolutely no doubt that I could finish. Well it was Utah and as it turned out I toasted myself on the bike and the rest of the day went to pot.

I went to WI and the swim scared the piss out of me, my second ever mass start. The bike was the complete opposite, after going way to fast at Utah I took it way to ez at WI and rolled around the course in 7 hours, then the run, first half was nice, next 6 were fine and the last 6 were a mental nightmare.

I took 2 hours for the last 6 miles of the run. Finish was 13.5.

13 hours is really doable if you pace it right and keep your head together, you can swim 1.15, ride 7 and run 4.45 including transitions.

You'd need to post your times for the swim and the run but there's really no reason why you cant do it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM confidence to doubts [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks once again for your reply Andrewmc. I will do it. Time? who knows. I guess this just proves that be a forum, wife or whatever, you just never accomplish your goals solely alone. Tomoorows a new day. Be assured the day I finsh IMCDA I will be thanking all of you..Gods honest truth... My wife(who is a seamtress)made me a a one piece suit,and just gave me a cape and said I was superman. Thats better than any IM. I am a lucky man
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other thing to consider and not before CDA but if you were to tackle another IM is that you might not be optimising your training time and working on your weaknesses.

Now as to these runners that ran sub 4.30 miles and run 3.15 marathons and you running a 3.45, look Eddy Hellybuck ran Boston last monday in 2.20 I think, might have been a little slower, and he is 42 years old. Now I'm not saying you can go out and run a 2.20 marathon but prehaps you can get to 3.15 if you just re-examine the way you are approaching it.

Andrew "more and more time on my hands as I've become an armchair triathlete"
Quote Reply