Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts?
Quote | Reply
I’ve done about 6-7 IM branded 70.3 races but I’ve been doing local tris for like 13 years. Just my opinion, but at a 70.3 I feel like I get a $250-300 experience on race day. Always well organized, no shortage of volunteers or aid, solid atmosphere.

My issue is with local races. When I pay $85 for a sprint race or $110 for an OLY I usually feel like I got a $30 experience. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll continue to race all my local events but I was just contemplating this issue today. People generally complain about IM brand prices.
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come race in Britain.
It's the polar opposite.
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you're looking to get out of a race. If you like the village, the swag, etc... then Ironman events are right up your alley. If you're looking to race and have fun just while on course, local tri's fit that really well.

I think the problem occurs when I see the local tri's asking the Ironman prices, because if I'm dropping the $300 it might as well be an Ironman branded event with all that comes with it. I had flirted with the idea of doing Miami man or Oil Man and they both cost more than a normal 70.3. Maybe I'm crazy, but I can make that jump mentally for some reason. Same way I can't fathom dropping $700 on Alcatraz.

I love what Caltri is doing and Without Limits here in CO, they're making races that are affordable and accessible to all kinds of participants. If I can just get out and race for under $100 on a weekend, I'd write that check without thinking about it. It's crazy because I would easily sign up for 6-7 $100 races, but to spend $700 on a single race I stew in my mind for days and procrastinate if I really want to sign up.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like I get an appropriate value out of all the types of races I do. First, there really very few $35 races anywhere anymore of any kind. I did a local 4M race a week ago that was $35. I did a local pool Olympic a couple weeks ago that was $30, and it was great for what it was. And, it was also the cheapest event of any kind that I have done anywhere. The IM races are spendy, but they also have a major brand premium on top of the whole experience (signage, volunteers, road closures, transition area, etc.). T, and that was my cheapest event of the last few years. The sprints and Olympics I do range from $80 - $120, and the are spot on with value. They are small, but are very-well managed for their resources.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have yet to do a WTC event, but a quick check seems like most of the 70.3s are closer to $400 these days (and many aren't local so add travel costs) vs (at least in socal) a number of Olympic/sprints right around the $100 mark (even some 70.3s that aren't much more). The indie races also usually seem to have more flexible logistics (e.g., morning of packet pickup) which means the race can be effectively a half day activity vs a full weekend. For me, being able to not put all my race eggs in one basket for the same price is a nice option. It probably does help that these are still closer to 1000 participants than 100, so it doesn't end up feeling like a training day with some aid stations.
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
Have yet to do a WTC event, but a quick check seems like most of the 70.3s are closer to $400

I'm not sure what you were quick checking but most of the North American 70.3s that are open for registration right now are at $250.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re not wrong. Many local races I’ve been to don’t even have a post race meal just fruit... and for $85 bucks no less. While IM may cost an arm and a let the experience you get for $800 is actually a fair price. Especially once you factor in the banquet, the breakfast, the onsite nutrition, the swag. I just have had about 50 gel packs that alone is nearly $100! The backpacks must be worth a good $30+ if you were to buy an equal backpack in a store. The hat and shirt a good $15 and $20 respectively.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
andrewjshults wrote:
Have yet to do a WTC event, but a quick check seems like most of the 70.3s are closer to $400

I'm not sure what you were quick checking but most of the North American 70.3s that are open for registration right now are at $250.

Which IM 70.3s are $250?
Last edited by: MrTri123: Aug 17, 19 15:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a very local olympic distance tri today. 15$! With free coffee and hot dogs afterwards!! One of the nicest events I’ve been to (except for the 11°C bike in heavy rain).
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lubbock was $165 when it went on sale, it’s at $225 now.
Great race, your entry includes a pretty good banquet too.

Not affiliated, just did it this year.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Come race in Britain.
It's the polar opposite.

This
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Thom wrote:
andrewjshults wrote:

Which 70.3s are $250?

Steelhead, Lubbuck Madison. Except for the ones in bigger cities or more expensive areas, most open registration at $250
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gulf coast 70.3 just opened at $250. Now it’s $275 I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why the hell did I register for AUGUSTA for $375? Lol

Lesson learned

Thanks guys
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
andrewjshults wrote:

Looks like the three I happen to look (local + destination) at are on the higher end of them (two socal, one Hawaii).
Oceanside - $375-430
SuperFrog - $325-375
Hawaii - $345-400

LP is $285-325
Traverse City - $250-325
Santa Cruz - $275-325

Maybe socal is an odd comparison spot since there's both a robust set of local races and it seems to be a popular destination for traveling to races. $250 seems to be the price point for races that don't sell out (even with the tiering).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I jist signed up for 70.3 CDA and it was $300 all in (even with that dumb active.com fee) In 2018 I did 70.3 Chatty for just about the same.

MrTri123 wrote:
Thom wrote:
andrewjshults wrote:

Which IM 70.3s are $250?
Last edited by: ericallenboyd: Aug 17, 19 17:32
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [ericallenboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done several different races through BC over the last couple of years and have found the IM races to be pretty good value. Traffic control has been superior to any of the individual races. When comparing the 2 IM 70.3's I've done vs the one put on by another company the price was nearly identical but the swag, traffic control and general event hype was way better at the IM venues.

We do have a couple great small local races that I believe provide great value. Tyhee Lake (Smithers, BC) holds a cool olympic, sprint and duathlon that only costs $30. The course is pretty sweet, not much for swag but I could care less at the price range.

Races that are going to charge the same as IM race fees need to step up on the cool factor in my opinion as IM can do so much with the huge numbers that they draw. Doesn't have to be crazy swag, just a well run event with some local flare, always adding just a little more than expected at the price level that is chosen.
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest, all of the California races murder the Texas race courses by a long shot. It’s worth the extra money to actually enjoy the scenery and avoid the gawd awful heat + humidity. For this very reason, I put down the extra dollars and leave Texas for those courses without flinching. I wouldn’t do another Texas 70.3 or 140.6 even if you paid for my entry.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Aug 17, 19 20:57
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Come race in Britain.
It's the polar opposite.

Same in France where the prices are:
~600€+ for a full IM
~300€+ for a 70.3
~120€ for an unbranded 70.3
~50€ for a local oly
~25€ for a local sprint

IM branded triathlons are waaaaaaay more expensive than local races. They sometimes can be waaaaaaay better, sometimes just slightly better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a local sprint-series in my town, it costs about 5 usd/race. The roads aren't closed but not much traffic.

https://acprestation.se/
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [pwai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I paid 300 euros for embrunman 2 years ago. I thought it was good value

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, unbranded IM are at most half the price of branded IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Thom wrote:
andrewjshults wrote:

Which IM 70.3s are $250?

Most at Tier 1. But if you wait until Tier 3 or later you will pay $300+.

Edit - I saw the California prices above ... crazy! I live in the Southeast and it's definitely cheaper here.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Aug 18, 19 5:23
Quote Reply
Re: IM brand events are fairly priced. Local tris are grossly overpriced. Thoughts? [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:
Come race in Britain.
It's the polar opposite.

This

About $1200 or so economy class just to get to Gatwick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest gripe about IM is not that I pay that price, but then what I get for that price. You’d think such a big brand would spend a few more bucks per racer and get a name brand shirt that doesn’t come apart at the seams after one wear, a backpack that isn’t an incredibly cheap bag, and a medal that’s better than the medals I’ve gotten at local 5K’s.

Having organized races, my thought is that racer experience doesn’t stop at what they get on the course, but what they go home with. Spend a few extra of those $750 and even just a tiny bit, act like you care.

Hail Purdue
Quote Reply

Prev Next