Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM and Ultra Marathon in same season? Yeah or Nay??
Quote | Reply
I'm running a marathon this coming April 26, then IM Lake Placid July 26.

Do you think a 24 hour Ultra on a flat paved 1 mile loop September 5-6 will be too early?

The format of the race is run as far as you can for 24 hours...

I've never done an Ultra but have always wanted to. I figure a flat 1 mile paved loop might be a good intro but am not sure how smart it is so soon after a full IM?

I did IM Louisville this past October and feel like I recovered pretty well and got my weekly mileage up to normal within a month...
Quote Reply
Re: IM and Ultra Marathon in same season? Yeah or Nay?? [KRadzi634] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d personally be nervous of the surface and would prefer trail.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: IM and Ultra Marathon in same season? Yeah or Nay?? [KRadzi634] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait and see how long your marathon recovery is before you sign up for the Ultra. The IM recovery will be longer than the marathon recovery. For me the recovery is twice a long but everyone is different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
24 hours on a 1 mile flat loop? I think I'd go mad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 4 IMs and an ultra in one year, so I think its doable. Granted, my ultra was only 50 miles which took about a third of the duration you will be on your feet. Since it's a 1 mile loop there will be a lot of opportunities to rest and fuel, which should help. I say go for it. A 24 hour ultra isn't a race for most participants (like an IM or 50 miler can be), so if you go in with the mindset that you just want to have fun, I think the recovery should be sufficient for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell yeah! Go for it. Just listen to your body.

See you in Placid!
Quote Reply
Re: IM and Ultra Marathon in same season? Yeah or Nay?? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David Goggins did that stuff with 0 training. HTFU buttercup and do it :).

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Re: IM and Ultra Marathon in same season? Yeah or Nay?? [Xatefrogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xatefrogg wrote:
David Goggins did that stuff with 0 training. HTFU buttercup and do it :).

David Goggins did a full squat set on Friday night with his Chief going heavy and then rolled up to the 100M with a pack of crackers, if I recall correctly.

Yeah he did it. Badass.

Advantage to small loop is you get to create the ultimate aid station. All kinds of snacks and food and drinks that should at least make every mile enjoyable.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it! I have done several of the looped 24 hour races and have not had any issues from doing them that impacted my running in a negative manner and I would argue that they are actually beneficial in helping you to increase your confidence level in your ability to run long. All of the races that I have done have been on trails so I would caution you to be careful on the road. However, one of the nice things is that you can take a break or just stop at any time and you are only at most 1/2 mile from the aid station. While I have not done it after an Ironman I did pace my girlfriend for 40 miles at Leadville Trail 100 3 weeks after completing an IM distance race and one of our friends had the fastest run in her age group at IM AZ after running multiple timed and ultra races within weeks/months of her IM.

Under no circumstances should anyone ever volunteer to crew someone at one of these races. Your runner comes by every 10-20 minutes and you never get a break. It is brutal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NJ marathon?

On paper it's not perfect, but it could go really well if you treat the IRONMAN training right.
Use the opportunity to push your ride duration up and increase run frequency but not nescesarily duration.
The increased bike volume will both IRONMAN speed and prep for the 24 hour.
Given all your events are road it's a good choice to keep the 24 hour road as well and the short loop should serve to help you govern your effort based on how you are feeling that day.
I've seen many similar seasons before so if you have any questions feel free to message me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is sounding a lot like Glass City Marathon and 24 hours at Olander......🤔
Quote Reply
Re: IM and Ultra Marathon in same season? Yeah or Nay?? [Dennywal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dennywal wrote:
This is sounding a lot like Glass City Marathon and 24 hours at Olander......🤔

Yes!!! I live in in Oak Park, just outside of Chicago. But I grew up in Sylvania, OH. My dad is got me into triathlons and running so I end up going home to Ohio and do all those races with him. Chicago races are awesome! But Daves running and run Toledo and all those little organizations work together to put on some fun races. they have a great running community there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. Sounded all too familiar. I live across the street from Olander. Spectated the 24 hour race many times, but never competed as it always clashed with my race calendar. I’ll be running GCM as well, best of luck!

Back on topic, I think you will be fine to do both. Afterwards might be a different story!
Quote Reply