Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Wisconsin bike vs IM Canada, old Pineman
Quote | Reply
I've ridden the old Pineman course (Deer Creek) numerous times, and finished Ironman Canada last month. I've signed up for Ironman Wisconsin next year, and I'd like to get some comparisons from anyone who's done both Wisconsin and either Deer Creek Pineman or Canada.

My assessments of Canada and Deer Creek:
Canada - the toughest climbs I've ever ridden (Richter and Yellow Lake) - but also long stretches of flats and rollers for recovery, and a long screaming descent down the back of Yellow Lake (44 mph for 3 miles - woo-hoo!)
Finished in 7:33. (overall finish 16:48)
Deer Creek Pineman course - no individual hills to match Canada's largest, but no long recoveries either. I've heard it described as "relentlessly hilly". I always wondered how the course map could show 9 "significant uphills" and only 2 "wicked downhills" but that seems about right. Plus - multiply that by two for the full distance. I know I had race day adrenaline going in Canada, but the Deer Creek course beats me up worse every time.
So - how does Wisconsin compare to either or both of those? Judging by the course map and profile, it looks like there are no large hills as in Canada, but the frequency of hills might be more like Deer Creek. How does the severity of hills compare? Also - it looks like cornering skill would be a much larger factor at Wisconsin - would that be an accurate assessment?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bob Leckron
Indianapolis, IN
Quote Reply
i think you mean mohican pineman [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the original iterations of the pineman were at mohican state park, near mansfield. it moved to deer creek last year, just south of columbus, which made it nearly flat.

i raced the old pineman the first three years, and then wisconsin last year, and i found the wisconsin bike course much easier. there's a lot more in the line of level riding, and the climbing is less intense, and more spread out. nothing like the constant rollers on the second half of the old pineman loop. i believe wisco also has about 3000 ft less of elevation gain, so that's nice too. my best ride at the pineman was 7:10 (or so), but i managed to put up a 6:06 on the wisconsin bike course. hope this helps. later

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: i think you mean mohican pineman [mckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the correction - I did mean Mohican Pineman. I raced on the old course in 1999 and 2000 - 1999 was the fog-shortened race and I missed the bike time cutoff in 2000. That was one tough bike course.
Quote Reply