Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released
Quote | Reply
Dane County (Madison) released their guidelines for opening. Seems to all but cut IMWI and IMWI 70.3 off as they say they'll stay in phase 3 until there is a vaccine.
Last edited by: lessthaneight: May 19, 20 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [lessthaneight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phase 3 with a 250 person max limit.

I expect most local governments to have similar policies with numbers maybe up or down depending on the locale but there's no way those max limits would be high enough to allow an Ironman race to happen.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that is the case I have to assume Age Group Nationals will be cancelled as well?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [2brokenhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2brokenhips wrote:
If that is the case I have to assume Age Group Nationals will be cancelled as well?

Different county and almost 80 miles apart.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [2brokenhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2brokenhips wrote:

OMFG

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [lessthaneight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lessthaneight wrote:
Dane County (Madison) released their guidelines for opening. Seems to all but cut IMWI and IMWI 70.3 off as they say they'll stay in phase 3 until there is a vaccine.

Where do these people come up with "THERE NEEDS TO BE A VACCINE"?

So are they going to stop Wisconsin from having 80k fans? Doubt it.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lessthaneight wrote:
Seems to all but cut IMWI and IMWI 70.3 off as they say they'll stay in phase 3 until there is a vaccine.

I wonder how many years they are willing to wait? 2019 may have been the final year of IMMOO.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [davetopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, all these plans assume there will be a vaccine. What if there isn't? We never have gatherings over 250 people again?

I am bummed because I am signed up for this race. Though, I understand why the local government would prefer to be cautious this fall.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [Lucero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lucero wrote:
Seriously, all these plans assume there will be a vaccine. What if there isn't? We never have gatherings over 250 people again?

I am bummed because I am signed up for this race. Though, I understand why the local government would prefer to be cautious this fall.

If there is never a vaccine, then I'd imagine at some point they'd revise the guidelines. It's not like they are carving these in stone, and they can never be changed.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
lessthaneight wrote:

That's exactly what's going to happen. What world do you live in??? They will be lucky to play without fans let alone with.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
lessthaneight wrote:

The place they get that message is some key people in the media (I don't want to turn this political). The reality is that world has operated in the face of many diseases with no vaccine. It can't hide from every disease awaiting treatment or vaccines. That's a bonus if modern medicine can figure it out. In the mean time, we will figure out how to operate while getting exposed to all kinds of disease as we alway have since the dawn of time. Whether we will have triathlons in excess of 250 people or rock concerts with 80,000 people its just a matter of time. After this fear factor wears off, we'll just get on with life, initially in a paranoid fashion, eventually we'll just live with it. Good to see the Euro soccer leagues starting to play. Slowly this will show people that we can get inside each other's personal space without dying (although the players are in their own bubble eventually they won't be....you can't stop 21 year old millionaire sports stars from having sex with groupies, so all these player curfews will be eventually broken and the virus will be inside their league bubble and they will play with it).

As pro sports play inside each other's space, then youth sport follows, cultural events will follow and then we'll get to larger triathlons as we know them. The world does not have enough infrastructure to live with spacing and disinfecting everything.

Eventually enough people that immunity that all those measures are no longer required even with no vaccine.

I had a friend go in yesterday for a brain surgery....kind of an emergency....before they cut open his scalp he said, "hospital is basically empty, its like a private wing for me".
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if there is no vaccine, we have more problems than a race schedule...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:

The same problems humanity has dealt with for 100,000 years.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [davetopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetopia wrote:
benleg wrote:

The same problems humanity has dealt with for 100,000 years.

i wander how they were hosting international races when the spaniard brought the tuberculosis to america?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
lessthaneight wrote:

That's exactly what's going to happen. What world do you live in??? They will be lucky to play without fans let alone with.

The world I live in is the real one. The one that is not full of people on slowtwitch or twitter or even Facebook. For example, this weekend I drove up Beeline Highway to the Bush Highway bridge and then down Bush Highway to Saguaro lake to scout both a long ride route and the beach at Saguaro for OWS (have never swam there). The PEOPLE are done. Every since parking spot was full, the loading zone was full of parked cars. The beach itself? Slammed. Then I drove south again on Bush Highway and and the sides of the highway near the other beach had cars parked all over the sides of the road. Then I continue driving, every spot on the Salt River where there was a rec site or parking was slammed. Salt River Tubing, humming hardcore.

Whether there is a vaccine deployed in the Fall or not, there's multiple strains of this virus and enough people have been infected that we're stuck with this. It's a Viral Respiratory Disease, that means you're talking a vaccine every year like the flu vaccine. And people still don't get the flu vaccine every year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think Covid-19 is just a respiratory disease then you are not living in the real world. And just because stupid people are congregating without social distancing does not mean governments are about to sanction mass gatherings like Ironman races.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Post deleted by jrielley [ In reply to ]
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COVID-19 is a Respiratory disease. That is what it has been classified. You catch it literally in the same way as the FLU. By breathing in the air particles of an infected person. This exposure also has to be prolonged as well.

But you're not picking up what I'm putting down, it's very clear. There are multiple strains of this virus. Just like with the flu, pharmaceutical companies make a guess on the strain when developing a vaccine for the "flu season". Sometimes the vaccine works, sometimes it doesn't work as well. I'm not going to get into it deeper as this is about racing and not about the politics of knowing how many Chinese are dead. The point is that just because there's a vaccine doesn't mean it will work. There's no approved Vaccine for MERS or SARS.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
THIS IS NOT THE FLU! People need to stop comparing it to the flu. Right now this virus has a 6% death rate in the US based on those who have it. 1,565,391 cases with 93,168 deaths. Flu is like .1% death rate. Not even close.

Correct.

jrielley wrote:
And just because some people are being stupid and not listening to social distancing guidelines does not mean that the NCAA or any sport will/should allow a gathering of tens of thousands of people. Hell every major sport is going to try to play with no fans. So the NCAA will be on it's own? And I would also bet a lot of money there are going to be plenty of other schools outside of California who have no students come back in the fall.

Correct. But (I'm assuming here) he's not saying that we should go back to life as normal before a vaccine. He's saying that people are stupid and we're going to spread this virus long before a vaccine whether we have mass events or not.

jrielley wrote:
I am sick of this too but I also do not want to risk going out and getting the virus then spreading it to my parents or my wife's parents or anyone who is at high risk. Hell, we do not even really know the long term impact of this virus even if you "recover".

Abso-fucking-lutely. And honestly, I think most people, even the dumb ones feel this way but people are highly impatient and are now willing to take the risk to have some type of normalcy. And I'm sending this from the liberal-ass bubble of Los Angeles where I'm seeing 75% of people taking that risk now.

**I in no way want this to be taken as "do it this way" or even "doing it this way is wrong". I make no judgements on policy here. I am simply saying "people are stupid and we should all hope that herd immunity isn't the end of the world"
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin - Dane County Guidelines Released [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not going back to life like it was. Being ultra hygienic, I thought I was before, but no sir. The amount of soap I've purchased and used in this period of time shows that. My point with all of what I'm saying is that the majority of the people out there are done. Remember, most Americans aren't on social media of any kind. Social media and internet forums don't reflect reality.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Not going back to life like it was. Being ultra hygienic, I thought I was before, but no sir. The amount of soap I've purchased and used in this period of time shows that. My point with all of what I'm saying is that the majority of the people out there are done. Remember, most Americans aren't on social media of any kind. Social media and internet forums don't reflect reality.

PREACH! Tell the fucking politicians, corporations and media that! I work for a major media company and am constantly trying to convince people about this but no one listens. The loudest voices will always win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
lessthaneight wrote:

The world I live in is the real one. The one that is not full of people on slowtwitch or twitter or even Facebook. For example, this weekend I drove up Beeline Highway to the Bush Highway bridge and then down Bush Highway to Saguaro lake to scout both a long ride route and the beach at Saguaro for OWS (have never swam there). The PEOPLE are done. Every since parking spot was full, the loading zone was full of parked cars. The beach itself? Slammed. Then I drove south again on Bush Highway and and the sides of the highway near the other beach had cars parked all over the sides of the road. Then I continue driving, every spot on the Salt River where there was a rec site or parking was slammed. Salt River Tubing, humming hardcore.

Whether there is a vaccine deployed in the Fall or not, there's multiple strains of this virus and enough people have been infected that we're stuck with this. It's a Viral Respiratory Disease, that means you're talking a vaccine every year like the flu vaccine. And people still don't get the flu vaccine every year.

Oh sorry. I see how your anecdotal examples are on par with 80,000 to 100,000 people packed into a football stadium screaming and yelling the whole time.

Then I see you went with the flu analogy card.

Such overwhelmingly convincing arguments. I take back everything I posted.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by jrielley [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:

But I am going to chill in my little bubble and not go out until I am comfortable even if Illinois opens, which I doubt it will to more than 100 people soon.

Good for you. Unfortunately, for the vast majority of the people out there it is not an option. They kinda have to work to eat.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've written multiple posts in this thread and provided plenty of nuance. I'm just pointing out that THE PEOPLE are done. And you just said you're not leaving your bubble. Heck, I haven't left my "bubble" since this thing started for anything other than Groceries, Liquor, running/cycling, and scouting running and cycling routes. I talk to friends that are going out, for the restaurants that are opening up it is as if nothing changed. They're slammed.

Point is there's never been an approved vaccine for previous Coronavirus outbreaks, there's multiple strains of SARS-COV-2, what makes anyone think that a mass produced vaccine will work? It's going to be more like Dev stated, at some point people are going to be done. And here's the thing, they already are.

Quote Reply

Prev Next