Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Whistler- Actual elevation gain?
Quote | Reply
The published course profile states the elevation gain as 8500 ft. Over the past 2 days I have ridden 4 complete course loops, 1 on Thursday and 3 on Friday. The mileage of each loop has been just slightly under 35, so about 105 miles for the 3. This would make the course right at 112 miles, as the loops begin and end at Rainbow Park (T1), which is about 7 miles from T2 (105 + 7 = 112).
The surprise has been the elevation gain, which my Garmin has consistently measured at about 1690 ft per loop. Allowing for the about 300 ft for the last 7 miles, it would indicate a total of about 5400 ft, far short of the published 8500. FYI- my Garmin data had the prior course at 7500, very close to the published figure.
Regardless of the actual elevation gain, this is a HARD, course, and will be much more difficult to hold a steady effort (wattage) than the prior course IMO.
Does anybody else have data on the actual course?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler- Actual elevation gain? [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does your Garmin have a barometric altimeter or are you using something like Strava that calculates from elevation maps?

I think you're right about this though:

Quote:
Regardless of the actual elevation gain, this is a HARD, course, and will be much more difficult to hold a steady effort (wattage) than the prior course IMO.

Pemberton meadows on the old course was a nice place to settle down / zone out for awhile and get back on top of nutrition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The elv is about 8400. We have multiple athletes confirmed it. Your # is off.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler- Actual elevation gain? [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
The elv is about 8400. We have multiple athletes confirmed it. Your # is off.

? My number is specific data from a stated (Garmin 935) with confirmed accuracy from multiple field tests and based on 4 repeated actual course loops. What is the source of the data from your “multiple athletes”?
I have been in Whistler for the past week, and have spoken to several local triathletes, including the president of the local Tri club, none of them had verified the elevation gain, but they all felt 8500 was over stated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a whole other thread about this just days ago. More info here.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng=whistler#p6671770
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you confirm accuracy in a field test? What is the protocol for testing accuracy?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler- Actual elevation gain? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
How do you confirm accuracy in a field test? What is the protocol for testing accuracy?

On a 5 Mile hill starting at sea level and ending at 1860 ft elevation :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
935 Is known to have barometer problem. Including mine and a few others on the forum. I would trust 520/820 more.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler- Actual elevation gain? [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
935 problems are only there if the seal breaks (from lots of chlorine exposure usually). I've found it gave the same "accuracy" as my 820.

When seal broke on my first 935, I got no temperature readings, and elevation didn't change at all.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply