Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Wales
Quote | Reply
Anybody know what happened to Joe Skipper at IM Wales? He was leading with a handy gap at 126km but had dropped off the leaderboard at 156km. Looks to have then battled his way back up into top 10, maybe 7th when last seen at 30km ish on the run.

Guessing mechanical.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flat tire, then left something behind and got a DQ for littering.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Flat tire, then left something behind and got a DQ for littering.

Wow that sounds harsh, can't believe that was "deliberate".
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure.

But a popped tube, empty CO2 canister or can of Pit Stop are all definitely litter if left on the side of the road.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Not sure.

But a popped tube, empty CO2 canister or can of Pit Stop are all definitely litter if left on the side of the road.

Still harsh for a professional.

Rules should be a bit easier on a professional I think.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Timtek wrote:
Not sure.

Why?

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:
PJC wrote:
Timtek wrote:
Not sure.

Why?

There are plenty of examples where pro's dump sponges and other crap before the finish line to not look like Macca without being penalized. I would assume he was thinking about his Kona chances and simply forgot in the heat of the moment.

Perhaps not setting an example, but understandable to a certain extent when trying to make a living.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty harsh, but I’ve carried unnecessary gear for many miles in races to avoid this very thing.

Especially interesting since a Pro at IM Wisconsin did the exact same thing described here with no repercussions. Well, other than having to change a flat tire in the first place.

Not really sure where I would stand, but glad I’m not the one that has to enforce this rule.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Timtek wrote:
Not sure.

No. Absolutely not. They should be setting a better example, not leaving shit around the countryside.
They carried the stuff in, they can carry the same stuff back out. They do make tri suits with pockets these days, they're not racing in budgies any more.

It's really really is not difficult.

Its WORSE that drafting. And pretty close to being a doper.

They should ban litter droppers for a season to make them learn it is utterly unnaceptable.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:

Mate. I don't disagree that Joe should have taken his spares with him after the flat, but to draw comparisons to what was likely a moment of forgetfulness and doping is ridiculous. I felt sorry for Joe and will continue to respect him, but that doper he was racing on the other hand will never have my respect and can get the f*ck out of our sport.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [sesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sesel wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:

Mate. I don't disagree that Joe should have taken his spares with him after the flat, but to draw comparisons to what was likely a moment of forgetfulness and doping is ridiculous. I felt sorry for Joe and will continue to respect him, but that doper he was racing on the other hand will never have my respect and can get the f*ck out of our sport.

Not sure why but I love it when people refer to it as ‘our sport’, makes me think you genuinely love it. Respect.

As you were.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a more positive note I took part today for the second time. I can't praise this race enough. It has a great, if slow, course. The crowds in Tenby get better every year. If you have the option of doing it I can highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [Ian A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian A wrote:
On a more positive note I took part today for the second time. I can't praise this race enough. It has a great, if slow, course. The crowds in Tenby get better every year. If you have the option of doing it I can highly recommend it.

Wales is a great course. I've done it twice. Its hard and honest. My kind of fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe Skipper not listed in the official results, although he is listed as 6th in the Slowtwitch article on the front page. Assume he got DQ'd? Think he might have had the fastest run split?

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian A wrote:

After Bolton this year - I have a priority entry (supposedly) but I'm really torn about whether to take them up on it.

I'd already decided to give it a miss, (Bolton convinced me to give UK roads a wide berth from now on!) but after watching the race yesterday the crowds look like they should not be missed.

And kudos to the local council as the roads looked in decent nick, even the commentary noticed a lack of pot holes!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [p9ul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, IM Wales is a great race. Properly hilly and hardcore but a beautiful location and really brilliant support from the crowds.

I did it in 2017 in pissing rain and gales so felt a real pang yesterday of wishing i was there again in the lovely weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He ended-up losing about 30 mins, so I don't know what the totality of the issue was. A straightforward 'flat' should be under 5 mins and closer to 3 with CO2. Not sure if he had Tubeless and it all went a bit wrong, or he went back to retrieve his 'litter' in the hope it would exonerate him. I guess he might say more this week?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [sesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree; an absent minded moment (hopefully) in leaving spares by the roadside is not akin to systematic and premeditated use of PEDs, in any way.

As an aside, I saw the leading women crossing the centre of the road regularly when overtaking AGers; that's a straight DQ in a lot of events. I got busted for it in a Standard Dist race in Germany once, coming into a very tight 90 degree bend; me and about 30 others including pros! (they had set-up a camera apparently).

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: Sep 16, 19 2:44
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is one of the things which puts me off doing Ironman branded events.

To think that you might get busted and "told off" by some official for some minor violation and have your day ruined is kind of off putting. Obviously everyone needs to play by the rules and safety first etc etc but crossing a white line is something we've all done, or dropping a bit of a gel wrapper accidentally, or overtaking some idiot on the inside because they don't know how to ride a bike.

I'm only a AG-er, not going to trouble a podium but i race for fun and really really don't appreciate being made to feel like a naughty child in a school yard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full details from Joe's Facebook:

"Thanks for all the support out there on the ironman wales course. Unfortunately it wasnt to be for me,I think the writing was on the wall from the start with me getting a text from Dylan Mcniece at 5.20am saying my front tubeless tyre had exploded off the rim overnight. When I got to transition I saw what he meant, it was a right state sealant all over my wheel and on the floor and my tyre hanging off.

I managed to get it sorted prior to the race but I was wondering whether it would be in one piece when I got back to it after the swim. On to the bike I was going well and managed to take the lead shortly after coming out of tenby at the start of the last lap but then disaster struck and I punctured at around 80 miles in. After getting it fixed I had a few other issues but eventually managed to get going. Thanks to the guys and girls that stopped to help and to see if everything was ok, that was really nice of you to do so. From looking on training peaks I lost 32 minutes in total. Once I was going I had a flappy number on the back of my bike box and it was really annoying me as I could hear it flapping around in the wind. I wasn't thinking properly and pulled it off and threw it. I guess when you've lost 32 minutes and had a few big things go wrong even the small things can annoy you. A motorbike marshall saw me do this and I got DQd for it.

Anyway I carried on to the finish and initially thought i would do 2 laps of the run but the support from everyone my family and friends and the support on course kept me going. I then changed my mind and thought I would do 3 laps but was actually quite enjoying it and didn't feel to bad so carried on to finish the run. The support I was getting was fantastic and I really enjoyed it, thank you to everyone that was shouting and cheering I really appreciated it and it made the run so much easier.

I knew I needed to finish the run to get a good indication of where my fitness was having only started running 5 weeks prior to the race, to see if my training was going well and also to see what I might need to work on in the final 4 weeks to kona.

A positive note is I felt great on the bike was putting out my best ironman watts to date. I've posted a picture of my data up until I punctured. 316w average and 337 normalized power. I then managed to put the fastest run split of the day in 2h 52 on a very hilly course which is 1k long. It all bodes well for kona and I'll be super motivated to put together a great performance out there!

Thanks again to everyone that was supporting and congratulations to everyone that managed to finish!"
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that Rob.

Latex tubes for Kona? :-)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [p9ul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The roads were very good. There were a few rough sections on a couple of the back lanes but nothing bad.

If you enter make sure to book your accommodation early. It sells out in Tenby early. It's the 10 year anniversary race next year so entries may go quicker.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wales [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was speculating in 2017 and happy I wasn't taking part. It looked grim out there. I did in 2014 with a choppy swim and was pretty happy how calm the sea was yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2014 was the year I did it and would not have called it choppy - it was downright rough! I was stood there thinking - this is going to get turned into a Duathlon! Slowest swim I have ever had and put me off going to Wales again. I think its been very calm every year since? Would love to go back - its an awesome race.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well ... uhm ... I stand corrected
Quote Reply

Prev Next