Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Vets
Quote | Reply
Ok, IM vets and especially IMUSA vets, I’m putting together my plan for IMUSA and I’m wondering if I should put more emphasis on the bike than on the other 2 disciplines. I’m an okay swimmer and will probably come out of the water in give or take 90 minutes. I’m an average runner but I have a 15 plus years of bicycle racing experience behind me. I know the course at Lake Placid plays to my strengths as a climber, but I’m hesitant to place to much emphasis on the bike for fear of falling apart on the run. Right now I’m running and swimming 3 days a week and riding and lifting 2 days a week. Starting in February, I was thinking of dropping the weight lifting and start riding 5 days a week along with 3 days each of swimming and running. I’m going to talk to a couple of coaches about this, but I’m wondering what some of the rest of you think.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Vets [Jerry in PA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your planned change makes sense (although, if possible, I'd try to maintain some lifting). I don't know what kind of mileage you are considering, but the schedule sounds about right. The double loop course works those legs and you will want a strong set of cycling legs not so much that you can blast a fast bike split, but so the hills don't leave your legs empty for the run. However, if you can already hammer out a century with little effort and/or find a long ride with hills not too challenging, then you may devote a bit of time to perfecting your swim technique so that you can carve out some time there (you have quite a cushion which you can shave down....no offense, the swim is also my nemisis) and maybe one extra day on the run.

You will love IMUSA. Great people, great organization and beautiful scenery.

Have fun.

Alan
Quote Reply
Run Run Run [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't say too much of your run speed or distance history. If you have done an Ironman and tell me you ran pretty well, then place emphasis on the bike.
The potential to lose a couple hours on a not great bike split and a walking marathon make me lean toward doing plenty of long shuffle runs. If you can just jog most of the marathon you can get in around 4 hours. If you walk you may be closer to six hours. G
Quote Reply