Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Tulsa
Quote | Reply
What are the odds IM Tulsa happens this May?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [MadPansy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% We are the only state that every county in the entire state voted red.

Trust me its gonna happen.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear!

I really want to sign up for Tulsa but just not crazy about the bike course. Looks like a few segments with some pretty crazy grades, but that's a pretty minor issue.

I think there are still spots available, there's still a chance I add it to the race calendar.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [treknv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treknv wrote:
Good to hear!

I really want to sign up for Tulsa but just not crazy about the bike course. Looks like a few segments with some pretty crazy grades, but that's a pretty minor issue.

I think there are still spots available, there's still a chance I add it to the race calendar.

The IM website says that Tulsa in sold out and on a waitlist

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll see you guys there. I'm the slow fat guy with the shaggy beard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim and bike both changed. Wah.

The swim is now counter clockwise and the bike has gained some more elevation, it seems. That being said, I hope it happens, just b/c I haven't raced in over a year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:

The swim is now counter clockwise and the bike has gained some more elevation, it seems. That being said, I hope it happens, just b/c I haven't raced in over a year.

I still can't get over the fact that T1 and T2 are 24 miles apart! LINK to directions

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ramping up to a stacked professional field in WPRO. Look at the numbers, and the proportion of (KQ).
https://www.trirating.com/...may-23rd-entry-list/
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as long as they move our gear to the finish, i'm not too worried.

man, that bike is going to be a doozy...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hills are long and gradual climbs, just a slow grind up them nothing to really get out of the saddle on. The positive is that there are a couple really long fast descents which you can fly down. There is also a nice long flat section with some smooth roads, but there is also some very rough sections and the thump, thump, thump. I highly recommend going tubeless with a lower tire pressure for some added comfort. Make sure you have everything tightened and strapped down. The winds can make the course more challenging, and have had 15-20 mph headwinds the entire ride back after turning south but also had 8-10 mph winds which is much easier and makes the course actually enjoyable. Higher winds can definitely throw you around as its pretty open in most places. There was someone running a disk last weekend but the winds weren't that bad, didn't get a chance to ask him how it went. The run course is very nice, downhill to the river and then two loops with only one slight hill over the Gathering place, which you will hit 4 times, twice each loop and then the climb back up to the finish. Fleet feet just ran the T-Town half marathon on the course, basically one loop, and the weather was perfect. There will be plenty of shade and you are somewhat protected from the winds and should be plenty of spectators on the run course. The race is on and they've already had captains meetings for volunteers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if athletes will be required to be there on Friday for check in? The email from IM made it sound like check it would be virtual and that you would only be required to do gear drop off on Saturday. Any information would be appreciated, trying to plan the wife's race. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TX83 wrote:
d00d wrote:

I still can't get over the fact that T1 and T2 are 24 miles apart! LINK to directions

Not a big deal.....IM 70.3 Raleigh (North Carolina) had T1 & T2 a similar distance apart and it was an awesome race! I did it 4 times!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what will be the expected water temperature the day of the race? Wetsuit/non wetsuit swim? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [ayax83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ayax83 wrote:
Does anyone know what will be the expected water temperature the day of the race? Wetsuit/non wetsuit swim? Thanks

over on the fb tulsa page, i think the locals agree it'll be wetsuit legal.

the swim course changed a little. it looks like it'll be a bit more protected vs. the original course across the lake. it is now counter-clockwise, too.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [J.Thompson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My interpretation of the below, taken from the email sent by Ironman, is that we will have to select a time for packet pick up and we will have to select a time for gear check-in. The Athlete Briefing will be virtual.

"We will be operating packet pick-up and bike/ gear check-in by appointment only. This means you must select a time-frame to attend each session. You will receive an email to select your specific time-slot for athlete check-in, soon."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious how they'll be doing the shuttles out there too. I'm vaccinated so not worried about getting on a bus but I would imagine there will be other reluctant to get on a full bus?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [taldesigns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking the same thing. Not a big deal for events like IMTX where you walk about a mile to the swim start. But to have to go 24 miles means you have to commit to a time and go and be ready.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [ayax83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ayax83 wrote:

Today's water temp is 56 degrees, was completely covered in snow this year with the -10 degree weather we had, which is rare. So if I were betting I would definitely say it will be wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
recent update email notes that athletes will pick a specific time slot to come to athlete check in, with details on making the time selection to be sent in the coming weeks.

I'm trying to plan travel and it would be helpful to know roughly what day or days athlete check in is taking place and how much choice athletes may have in the matter, but they don't even provide estimates or ranges. editing this after checking athlete guides for 70.3s in galveston, FL, and st george, which show athlete check in taking place on day before race, and day before that at minimum. Traditionally they never do check in day before race for full IM races (not that I know of?) but appears they did this with these 70.3s, perhaps Tulsa would be the same?
Last edited by: PBT_2009: Apr 13, 21 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gotten no emails from Ironman on Tulsa...
What are these emails you are talking about?

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
I've gotten no emails from Ironman on Tulsa...

What are these emails you are talking about?

They just sent out an email with the subject: IRONMAN Tulsa Event Preparation Update

Here is the body of the email:

Event Update

We are looking forward to hosting you at the Certified Piedmontese IRONMAN North American Championship Tulsa and the first 2021 IRONMAN in the United States. The team and I are excited to put on this inaugural race that we’re sure will give you memories to last a lifetime. Over the last year, you’ve fought through adversity and have proven that Anything Is Possible! We are inspired by your commitment and dedication to persevere through all the challenges thrown your way.

With less than two months to go, we’re excited to report that we’re on track for race day. The United States Army Core of Engineers, Sand Springs, Osage County, Skiatook, Barnsdall, Tulsa County, the city of Tulsa and all the volunteers have come together to make this event possible.

As we approach race day, we wanted to share a few updates with you:

• All agencies have confirmed their support with our event and have given the 2021 Certified Piedmontese IRONMAN North American Championship Tulsa their full support on hosting this event as planned.

• The 2021 Athlete Guide is still being finalized and will be posted on the event website by April 23, 2021.

• This year athletes will pick a specific time slot to come to athlete check in. Utilizing this method minimizes wait times while ensuring space for physical distancing to be maintained. Details on making this selection will come via email in the coming weeks.

• All IRONMAN staff, volunteers and athletes will be required to wear face coverings while at the race venue.

• The team has been working hard to secure the best courses for our athletes and we’re excited to roll out the very first IRONMAN Tulsa swim, bike and run course. These courses are now posted on the website and can be viewed here. Additionally, all the Aid station locations have been confirmed and are highlighted on the course maps.

• Qualify for Kona! The Certified Piedmontese IRONMAN North American Championship Tulsa will have 75 slots to the 2021 IRONMAN World Championship.

• Volunteering is one of the best ways for friends and families to see their athletes on race day. If you have a friend or family member who’s interested, please email us at imtulsa@ironmanvolunteers.com.

• We are excited to confirm that IRONMAN Village and the IRONMAN Store will be open during the following times:
    - Thursday May 20, 2021: 9:00am-5:00pm
    - Friday May 21, 2021: 9:00am-5:00pm
    - Saturday May 22, 2021: 9:00am-3:00pm

• There will be busses available on race morning to take athletes from Tulsa to Keystone Lake (Transition 1) on race morning. These buses will operate at 75% capacity and face coverings will be required for all passengers.
In line with our Return to Racing guidelines, we’re ensuring that every detail has been optimized to deliver a safe experience while still delivering an IRONMAN experience worthy of your hard work. The countdown is on – we’re less than two months until race day and showcasing Tulsa and the surrounding area! Please remember to review our event website, read the Return to Racing details and follow us on Facebook for race day updates.

We wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you at the start line!

Alan Mendez
Race Director

Certified Piedmontese IRONMAN North American Championship Tulsa

Athlete Options

Despite our belief that we will be racing in May, we would like to outline what your athlete options will be in the case that our race date needs to change, as well as an option you have today should you not want to race in 2021, for any reason.

If the race is rescheduled to a later date in 2021:
  • You will automatically be transferred to the new race date in 2021
  • Alternatively, you can opt into another 2021 IRONMAN race from a selection list provided at the time, subject to event availability*, or defer to the 2022 event

If the race cannot take place in 2021:
  • Your registration will be deferred to the 2022 race date
  • Alternatively, you can opt into another 2021 IRONMAN race from a selection list provided at the time, subject to event availability*

*Note: we are working on the addition of event locations in 2021 so if your event is impacted, further inventory for you to race in 2021 is available

If you don’t feel comfortable racing in 2021…

In addition, if at any time you don’t feel comfortable racing, you can choose to defer your race until the next edition, in 2022. You can do so by completing the details via the link, here. Please note this option is for those who do not wish to race in 2021 under any circumstance as the selection is final. Once you elect to defer to 2022 you will not be eligible for additional options offered should your race be rescheduled at a later time.​ Please complete the link by 4/23/2021.

A full COVID-19 policy can be found here.

We understand this has been a stressful time and we hope that providing you some knowledge about how we are working to provide you flexibility allows you some reassurance and the ability to forward plan again.

In the meantime, we invite you to utilize the IRONMAN Virtual Club platform that provides free virtual races, training challenges, and resources on how to keep moving despite what your current situation may be. Our goal with this has always been to help you stay connected with the community, train with purpose and a goal in mind, while also remaining competitive.

Thank you for your commitment and we look forward to seeing you at the races soon.

Cheers, Ray
Last edited by: TX83: Apr 13, 21 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess from past races is that Athlete check-in times might coincide with the hours that Ironman Village is open. I see on the website that the village is open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday prior to the race. So I would think we might be able to schedule as early as Thursday.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does anyone have a kq distribution calculation? prob double the normal distribution, per ag? just curious. i don't have a chance in hell, but have a bud that does.

i also wonder if roll downs will be a thing...

i'm not sure what the appetite for travel and racing will be, but i'm assuming everyone is ready to get back to racing. my guess is kq slots won't roll down more than 1 or 2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m curious as well.
I only recognize one name from the participant list. He already has a 2021 slot, so there will be some roll downs for sure.
Oddly, IMTULSA shows 2,600+ athletes. Seems high to me.

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa [strtezbckoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the numbers do seem quite high, but i'd assume you're going to have the usual 8-10% that don't make it for some reason or another.

which ag has the kq slot? my bud is in 50-54 (335), which oddly has more male athletes than the 45-49 (311), 40-44 (303), and 35-39 (273). i'm guessing they'll have somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 slots if that's the case.
Quote Reply

Prev Next