Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Tulsa, or Texas...
Quote | Reply
Help me pick! Strong cyclist, mid pack runner. Definitly one that needs an honest bike course to help me fend off the best of the runers.

Which would you pick and why?

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa, or Texas... [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would a strong cyclist consider Texas? I haven't looked at Tulsa's course but it wouldn't take much to beat Texas.

Why wouldn't you have St. George in consideration?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa, or Texas... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to do st. George... its just travel logistics. I live in Austin Texas, those two races are close enough to drive to after work.

- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understood, well check out the thread on Tulsa, I think someone said the bike course will have rollers.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do both! From what I’ve seen posted about Tulsa the elevation gain should be in the neighborhood of 4,000 to 5,000. Texas is much flatter, but the wind can be a huge variable. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is noting but rollers in Tulsa
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa, or Texas... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Why would a strong cyclist consider Texas? I haven't looked at Tulsa's course but it wouldn't take much to beat Texas.

Why wouldn't you have St. George in consideration?

This. The bike course in Texas takes away every advantage a strong cyclist has. However the hot-as-balls run will challenge anyone even though it's flat.

It's the LAST place I would tell a strong cyclist but mid-pack runner to go.

We obviously don't know about the Tulsa course yet, but given the general terrain in the area, you are likely to have a better race on the bike there.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa, or Texas... [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the choice is clear!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't discount Texas due to the bike course.
Ok its flat, but the wind this year basically turned the route into a 20 mile hill on the Hardy toll road.
The time differences between the southbound 20 miles and the northbound 20 miles (x2) were significant.
Heading south felt like you were riding up a 20 mile hill - of course you got to ride down that hill heading north - so strong bikers could put some time in to the competition.
Of course the year before there was next to no wind - so 2 years and 2 very different bike experiences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to get a better understanding of the bike course, the course description on the website shows it has more elevation than Lake Placid.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hennessyr wrote:
Help me pick! Strong cyclist, mid pack runner. Definitly one that needs an honest bike course to help me fend off the best of the runers.

Which would you pick and why?

Register for IMTX. Mt. Hardy is a real bi@tch.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa, or Texas... [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
Trying to get a better understanding of the bike course, the course description on the website shows it has more elevation than Lake Placid.

The Lake Placid elevation is per loop, so about 8,400 total. Tulsa looks to have a good deal of variability itself at 5,100, but a good bit less than Lake Placid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How good are you at riding in a pack?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa, or Texas... [Walter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha, I didn't realize it was per loop. I'm trying to decide between Tulsa and Texas as well. I did Texas last year and the course was pretty straight forward, but the wind from the south on the hardy toll road was pretty oppressive going out. I feel like the wind vs. a little bit of climbing somewhat makes it a wash between the two courses, but that's with the mindset that Tulsa won't have wind. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't Tulsa be super windy because of it being tornado season. Not saying they'll have a tornado on race day, but I'm sure there has to be some wind ever present during that season.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tulsa, or Texas... [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tulsa's bike course:

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply