Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Switzerland (Thun), anyone ?
Quote | Reply
Looks very interesting and good time of the year for me to race and family vacations.
Anyone knows anything about the bike course ?
Any recommendation on economical stay for family of 4 ? Just saw ones +$400/night, too expensive for me.
tks !
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland (Thun), anyone ? [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're talking Zurich, it's a great race. Lake Zurich is fabulous for swimming. I don't have particulars for the bike route, but it goes along the lake (flat) for many a mile, climbs into the foothills of the Alps through some charming Swiss towns (not too brutal but definitely climbs), back downhill on fairly safe roads, on the lake for a short stretch, then a short, steep climb before returning to transition.

Where you get to the loop again. Which isn't as fun as the first time. But it's IM so ...

Switzerland is expensive; we searched for a while to find an apartment for the whole family. Not near the course, yet the transit system is so good I took a train to the race start. Easy. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland (Thun), anyone ? [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Switzerland has moved from Zurich to Thun. This year will be the first edition of the Thun race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike course is pretty spectacular, with some fantastic views across the Bernese Oberland and the huge snow covered peaks that surround the local area, promises to be a real beauty of a race, however with a lot of elevation (expected +2200m) so not for the faint-hearted!

You're right it's super expensive in Switzerland to find suitable accommodation, I'm lucky enough to live here and booked accommodation at a reasonable price already but there are some other options within the local area, you should check out the camp sites around the area, there's one just outside of Interlaken (called Manor Farm) which is excellent and you could maybe take a caravan for the time you are here (we usually book here; https://www.eurocamp.co.uk/...-farm/ataglance.html) . Otherwise I think it will be difficult to find a suitable place in Thun itself, it's a small town and a great opportunity for people in the local area to cash on room rentals.

Swim course will be great and guaranteed to be wetsuit as it's glacial water so will be below the cut-off for sure, but not too cold. Run course looks flat and fast alongside the lake.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland (Thun), anyone ? [liamtaylormade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi MTRIB!

I booked a studio for 3 people in Krattigen, 25min from Thun, by Airbnb at a price of USD 132 per night. Closer to Thun there were several occupied and more expensive places.

I am travelling from Argentina and after the competition I am going to continue my holiday in Europe.

I hope you get a place to stay!

Ezequiel
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland (Thun), anyone ? [ezeocampo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gracias !! (de un brasilero casado con una argentina :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland (Thun), anyone ? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
IM Switzerland has moved from Zurich to Thun. This year will be the first edition of the Thun race.

That's a bummer. The climb in town was just like the TdF in that you couldn't see the road through the crowd. I got a lot of pats on the back. It wasn't pushing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland (Thun), anyone ? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So to bump this thread did anyone race this weekend just gone in the end? How was it if so, considering it for next year but wanted to see what the feedback was like before committing!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland (Thun), anyone ? [Polo_1272] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Polo_1272 wrote:
So to bump this thread did anyone race this weekend just gone in the end? How was it if so, considering it for next year but wanted to see what the feedback was like before committing!

It is the most spectacular race i have ever done. They did a mistake on the swim course, shortening it. Other than that, race organization was impeccable and the course is magnificent

Swim: lake water is crystal clear, always coldish and it will always be a wetsuit legal. Setup is amazing with Alps in the background, sunrise happening in the middle of the swim, sun coming up behind the mountain peak

Bike: 1950m total elevation has been measured by my Garmin 830. It can brake your legs if you dont know the course. it is not tough like Lanza or Wales because gradients are always on 6% or so. maybe you touch 7% in short parts. I did it with a single chainring 48 and 33 behind. I had margin with gears. Descents are very fast, straight, nothing technical. Landscape are really great on 80% of the course.

Run: 3x14km super flat and the scenery is also fantastic here. best run course i have ever been. You have maybe 1km boring over 14km, which are on a sidewalk at the beginning of the loop

I would suggest this race to anyone. i live in Zurich and i know the area well. just PM me for more info
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland (Thun), anyone ? [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds great, thanks! I did wonder what happened to the swim course but sounds like something they won't repeat next year?!

How is the road surface on the course... Im assuming smooth and fast given it's that part of the world? (i'm in the UK so it's not going to take much to please me....)

And finally how about crowd/local support and the finish line atmosphere? For me a good atmosphere is always the most important thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polo_1272 wrote:
Sounds great, thanks! I did wonder what happened to the swim course but sounds like something they won't repeat next year?!

How is the road surface on the course... Im assuming smooth and fast given it's that part of the world? (i'm in the UK so it's not going to take much to please me....)

And finally how about crowd/local support and the finish line atmosphere? For me a good atmosphere is always the most important thing

roads: smooth and perfect. can not be better

crowd/support: on the bike course, honestly, i was expecting more people. few villages with people out cheering (I guess in a normal period, without covid, I should see more people). on the run course, you have probably 2km out of 14km without anyone cheering (the first km and the km in the middle on the lake with back and forth). finish line is always great but it can be better, not at the level of lets say Frankfurt.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland (Thun), anyone ? [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the earlier description of the beautiful lake, clear water and mountains in the background. This was even prettier than the swim at Ironman Canada in Whistler. The roads on the bike course are incredibly smooth, and the course design overall is really nice and incredibly scenic... but the shortened swim course this past weekend was TOTALLY inexcusable!! Can you imagine showing up for the Boston Marathon or running an Olympic marathon and crossing the finish line after just 23 or 24 miles? The swim was probably right around 2.0 miles. It was nowhere even close to 2.4 miles, and the weather was perfect so that can't be an excuse. The pros swam it in only 38 or 39 minutes. This was my 56th full-distance Ironman and a "PR" (not) by six full minutes. I've never raced on a shortened course before this one. Sadly, Ironman did not deliver its most basic, most fundamental promise when it comes to racing... a reliable distance. Worst of all, no one from Ironman's corporate offices, or Ironman Europe, or Ironman Switzerland's race director, or anyone else from the organization has sent any messages to those of us who raced to explain this massive error.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Switzerland (Thun), anyone ? [Andy60610] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve just seen an ”official” explanation posted by the FB account of IM Switzerland as a reply to an athletes comment. It was in german and roughly translated ”the swim course had to be shortened for technical reasons outside of our control. Next year the swim leg will be 3.86 km”.

That’s the first actual IM comment I’ve read on the matter. Doesn’t actually explain much though.

I will attend Thun 10 months from now, can’t wait! I’m a little bit worried about the possibility of a proper heat wave in July, being accustomed to a cooler climate, but excited non the less.
Quote Reply