Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM St George 2018
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's premature, but I haven't heard any chatter about St George. Anyone out there doing the race? What might we expect as far as pros? Anyone doing it for the first time?

"There are two ways to slide easily through life- to believe everything and to doubt everything- both ways save us from thinking "- Korzbyski
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [newguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume you mean the 70.3. The full, unfortunately, is no more. Sad.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:

X2. Ironman St George is long gone.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes- I meant the half

"There are two ways to slide easily through life- to believe everything and to doubt everything- both ways save us from thinking "- Korzbyski
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Skyline Chili wrote:

X2. Ironman St George is long gone.

It was a killer of a race. Really glad I raced the inaugural event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going back for the third straight year. Also did the full when it first came on the schedule. I assume Lionel Sanders will be back, seems to be his typical early season schedule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gorgeous race, brutal run. Especially if it's hot.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be there. Way under trained. Will hurt alot. First time in st george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the race is a rolling start or wave start? The event schedule says 'rolling swim start', which surprised me because I thought it was a wave start. The athlete guide reference waves for swimming, but doesn't give a wave start order or anything. Call me a wimp, but I have a strong preference for wave start.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody know if Ali plans on defending his title?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has been a wave start in the past, but will be a rolling start for the first time this year. The RD announced on facebook a few months back.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Anybody know if Ali plans on defending his title?

Doesn't look like it. Pro start list is up:
http://www.ironman.com/~/media/602e0033616f41a494b79e226a2b9971/2018%20ironman%2070%203%20st%20%20george%20pro%20start%20list.pdf

Looks like a Sanders, Kienle, Reed battle this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there! First time for me. Super excited, best shape I've ever been in going into a 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [CJENSEN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJENSEN wrote:
This has been a wave start in the past, but will be a rolling start for the first time this year. The RD announced on facebook a few months back.

great, thank you! hadn't thought to follow them on facebook, will do that.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing it on only a few weeks of training, so it's going to be super ugly. I've been through St. George before though, looks like an awesome venue. The finisher pix might actually be worth buying at this race.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone that's done this race before comment on how easy/difficult parking is near the athlete village? Does uber work very well in St George?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been told from a previous participant that parking is very easy Race morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty of parking downtown within walking distance from T2 and the morning busses. You needn't worry about it. Overall, they do a really good job with logistics for this race.

Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsosinski wrote:
I have been told from a previous participant that parking is very easy Race morning.

Hey man - I saw you listed on the Pro field, did you 'move up'?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I decided to try racing as a pro this year since I have no interest in racing Kona or 70.3 worlds this year. The main goal is still the same, have fun and enjoy racing so I figured why not try some different racing with a clear course and get my ass handed to me! Haha
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsosinski wrote:
Yeah I decided to try racing as a pro this year since I have no interest in racing Kona or 70.3 worlds this year. The main goal is still the same, have fun and enjoy racing so I figured why not try some different racing with a clear course and get my ass handed to me! Haha

Nice. Not too many people are able to earn a pro card, so congrats.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I'm doing St. George this weekend - it's actually going to be my first triathlon ever. Arriving in St. George tomorrow and hoping to get some open-water swimming experience in prior to race day. I have a few last-minute beginner questions ahead of the race - would anybody be able to provide their thoughts on the below?
  • Are there bike mechanics on course to help with major issues? I've practiced how to change my tires and am going to get my bike serviced prior to the race, but wondering if there's anybody on the course to help in the event of unexpected issues...

• For those of you who use both a watch and a bike computer, do you track the bike segment on both your computer and your watch (triathlon mode)?

• I assume I'll be able to buy a race belt for my race number somewhere at St. George? I think that's the only piece of gear that I'm missing

• My goggles are generally fine, but I've found that they'll leak from time to time (I've tried a bunch of different types and have had minor issues with all of them - my head must just be a funny shape). If they start leaking during the swim, what's the best way to adjust them? I tried laying on my back and tweaking with them, but I sink too much. I'm guessing this is something the additional wetsuit buoyancy will help with?

• I'm not planning on doing a flying mount in T1. How does it logistically work? Put on your shoes in T1 and awkwardly walk your bike to where you mount it? Or walk your bike to where you mount it barefoot and then put on your shoes? I imagine the latter, but wanted to check. Hey, I did say these were very beginner questions! :)
Thanks for any thoughts!
Last edited by: JonathanNYC: May 1, 18 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) don't expect major support from the on course mechanics. they are few and far between
2) it is not that difficult to run in cycling shoes.. i recommend you run in your shoes well past the start line and mount your bike beyond the crowd. a lot of people stop dead in their tracks at the mount line and try to get on their bikes.. run past them and find free and open space
3) yes you can buy a race belt at the athlete store
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
1) don't expect major support from the on course mechanics. they are few and far between
2) it is not that difficult to run in cycling shoes.. i recommend you run in your shoes well past the start line and mount your bike beyond the crowd. a lot of people stop dead in their tracks at the mount line and try to get on their bikes.. run past them and find free and open space
3) yes you can buy a race belt at the athlete store
Thanks, milkman! Much appreciated. Haven't tried running in my cycling shoes with cleats before, but that is good to know - I'll plan on that!
Quote Reply

Prev Next