Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM North American Championship
Quote | Reply
I see that St George has been named the NA Champs race for 2020 meaning they get the 75 slots and Texas is back down to 40.

Offer up your purely speculative opinions on what effect that will have on KQing at IMTx.

I think the VERY pointy end of the age group field will thin out. Example: I doubt athletes like Dan Stu and Sam Gyde - 2 guys with multiple Kona Podiums - would seek this race out like they did in 2018. So I am guessing that it will be a tiny bit easier to qualify even with the reduced slots.
Quote Reply
Re: IM North American Championship [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impossible to predict. Anything that makes logical sense can still get reversed by just a couple guys making decisions for completely unrelated reasons.

I kq’d 4 out of my last 5 attempts and just chose a fall race that logically should be one of the harder ones to qualify at, and my decision was just based on dates and proximity.

All takes is one or two guys from anywhere in the world to sign up for whatever reason and suddenly you ran into a buzz saw.

All that said I bet you would have an easier time in Utah than Texas. Make a decision based on other factors
Quote Reply
Re: IM North American Championship [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing Texas because

1) the bike is flat and cycling is my #3 discipline
2) there is the remote possibility that it is not wetsuit legal and swimming is my #1 discipline
3) I have lots of experience training and racing in hot humid weather

It also happens to be a local-ish race.

KQ is not really my objective, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is you still get fast South Americans and local Texans (I'm sure there are lots of them!) and it is like any other race, plus I see that Texas is already in tier 4. I wonder if people signed up for it in the weeks following this year's race with the assumption that it would continue on as NA Champs? Not sure if that was announced or made clear immediately after but they sure didn't announce St.G as champs or Tulsa before registration opened.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan and I will race in St-George so don't worry about us in Texas ;-p
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those as good reasons as any.
Quote Reply