Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM New Zealand cancelled/rescheduled less than week before race
Quote | Reply
Organisers of Nutri-Grain IRONMAN New Zealand have today (Feb. 28) confirmed that the event cannot take places as planned on Saturday 6 March, or on Sunday 7 March.
Under the New Zealand Government’s COVID-19 Alert Level 2 events of more than 100 people cannot take place, meaning that Nutri-Grain IRONMAN New Zealand cannot be held next weekend in Taupō.
The event team is working on a postponement date, but this is highly contingent on multiple factors aligning. It is hopeful that a clearer picture on whether a postponement will be possible or not will be known in the next 24 hours.
Last edited by: Upstaterun: Feb 28, 21 13:56
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled less than week before race [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Context of this is that at 9pm on Saturday night, the Prime Minister called a snap national address after a new positive test result was found. As a result Auckland is in a lockdown and travel in / out is not permitted and the rest of the country can't have gatherings of more than 100 people for 7 days (ie until the Sunday). Test Cricket, Americas Cup Sailing, and many other things have had to be postponed.

Sadly there was a major run supposed to happen on the Sunday morning, so that was cancelled with less than 12 hours notice.

It's gutting for all those that had trained for the event, I'm confident that it'll be a postponement, but will be 3+ week delay to be confident that the restrictions will be slackened. This is a team that a few years ago when the event had to be cancelled on the Friday night after bike racking due to a tropical storm hitting, managed to put on a half ironman on the Sunday. So re-arrange all the road closures, volunteers, medics, etc.

Going the otherway, in NZ we have been spoilt by up until now having had a full race season, and the ability to live 'normally'.
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled less than week before race [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still says you can register for it on the IM site....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Upstaterun wrote:
Organisers of Nutri-Grain IRONMAN New Zealand have today (Feb. 28) confirmed that the event cannot take places as planned on Saturday 6 March, or on Sunday 7 March.
Under the New Zealand Government’s COVID-19 Alert Level 2 events of more than 100 people cannot take place, meaning that Nutri-Grain IRONMAN New Zealand cannot be held next weekend in Taupō.
The event team is working on a postponement date, but this is highly contingent on multiple factors aligning. It is hopeful that a clearer picture on whether a postponement will be possible or not will be known in the next 24 hours.

Postponed, not cancelled. New date Saturday 27th March.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled less than week before race [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:
Upstaterun wrote:

Not replying to you particularly... reading this strikes me:

This year is really going to be crazy. Race postponed/in danger in one country based on a positive test? But up until now, NZ has been operating pretty normally? Yet... Japan still proceeding in the hope/plan that over 11,000 athletes will compete in the Olympics in July? US is going to open, no two ways about it...but probably quite different on state by state basis. And Europe, I'm guessing will be a checkerboard.

It will be crazy (and I suspect frustrating to many)...as some/many things/races/events will happen. Some/many won't.

And there will be no consistency.

I really do have a great deal of empathy for any live event organizer... large or small. No easy or super clear way to proceed and plan.
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled less than week before race [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
Still says you can register for it on the IM site....

Yeah, I waited until Friday to enter...then next day postponed!!

Must have jinxed it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled/rescheduled less than week before race [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is literally one case in Auckland. You guys will be back to normal life on fantasy Island shortly. I think our collective sympathy factor for what you all in NZ are enduring may be low though. We have the Same in one of the island provinces in Canada. They have been living normally compared to the rest of us and now with a few cases it's all locked up.

In any case by clamping down quickly you all get back to normal life quickly. In Canada with our vaccine rollout 57th internationally it will be a while for us to get out of this
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled less than week before race [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. And even within countries.
My local half (Outlaw Half at Nottingham) has been working to its mid May usual slot.
On Friday, following Gov missives during the week, it had to postpone (hopefully to late June only).
But the reason was one of the covid rule technicalities- the site has shared use with other sports (rowing and kayaking) so the site couldn't legally allow them on to run the event, Irrespective of all the other covid-secure changes to the way the event runs (and how they'd successfully run a different half distance tri in Sept 2020).

I was discussing the very problem of a 'chequerboard' Europe with a mountain biking friend a few hours ago. He's got a couple of events in the Alps this summer. Irrespective of how we're hopefully back to normal by some time in July in England (current schedule is for all restrictions to be finally lifted on 21st June, providing no setbacks between then and now, with vaccinations the one big success in a fecked up shitely managed year - now over 20 million 1st shots given) who on earth can see big mainland EU countries being in such a good state, with their total 'fest of vaccination roll out, Macron's major shot-in-the-foot saying they didn't work on >65s, Germany's unwillingness to do anything without certain proof of effectiveness (and inability to see that inaction also = thousands more dead), etc.

There's zero way I'd be booking anything that involves leaving GB this year, when insurers won't cover anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled less than week before race [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Yep. And even within countries.
My local half (Outlaw Half at Nottingham) has been working to its mid May usual slot.
On Friday, following Gov missives during the week, it had to postpone (hopefully to late June only).
But the reason was one of the covid rule technicalities- the site has shared use with other sports (rowing and kayaking) so the site couldn't legally allow them on to run the event, Irrespective of all the other covid-secure changes to the way the event runs (and how they'd successfully run a different half distance tri in Sept 2020).

I was discussing the very problem of a 'chequerboard' Europe with a mountain biking friend a few hours ago. He's got a couple of events in the Alps this summer. Irrespective of how we're hopefully back to normal by some time in July in England (current schedule is for all restrictions to be finally lifted on 21st June, providing no setbacks between then and now, with vaccinations the one big success in a fecked up shitely managed year - now over 20 million 1st shots given) who on earth can see big mainland EU countries being in such a good state, with their total 'fest of vaccination roll out, Macron's major shot-in-the-foot saying they didn't work on >65s, Germany's unwillingness to do anything without certain proof of effectiveness (and inability to see that inaction also = thousands more dead), etc.

There's zero way I'd be booking anything that involves leaving GB this year, when insurers won't cover anything.

One thing I'll say about you Brits, you spell chequerboard better than us colonists. :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled/rescheduled less than week before race [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think there is literally one case in Auckland. You guys will be back to normal life on fantasy Island shortly. I think our collective sympathy factor for what you all in NZ are enduring may be low though. We have the Same in one of the island provinces in Canada. They have been living normally compared to the rest of us and now with a few cases it's all locked up.

In any case by clamping down quickly you all get back to normal life quickly. In Canada with our vaccine rollout 57th internationally it will be a while for us to get out of this

its a bit worse than that but we're certainly hoping it is only a brief interruption to what has generally been a pretty good situation. limited sympathy expected - we mostly appreciate how good we have it (though sympathy for certain countries that elected moronic leaders is limited too)

i think this highlights how uncertain things are for event organisers - whatever you think of their communication and refund policies, they're facing a tough time. on saturday afternoon, IMNZ was the most certain IM event in the world this year. organisers were busily pressing ahead with 6 days to go. next thing you know, its dead in the water. its a busy time of year for events here so a lot of other events were similarly affected

also have to feel for the athletes who were already into their tapers having done the hard work for months. that is first world problems though
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled less than week before race [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:
Upstaterun wrote:

Can't see anything official. Is this insider information?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled/rescheduled less than week before race [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also have to feel for the athletes who were already into their tapers having done the hard work for months. that is first world problems though //

If I'm going to feel sorry for someone, it is going to be the athletes that actually flew, booked a couple weeks of hotel time, and now get a lockdown vacation. I get what they are doing there, in short order it will all be back to normal, because they can contact trace and surround the few cases back to 0. In the long run, this is the best overall attack on this thing, actually crushing it in its tracks before it gets a strangle hold on runs wild. Of course you have to be in this mentality from the start, so not an option for us here in the Freedom states of America. We will just pay the price of nearly a million dead before it is all said and done, probably 5 times that many with lifelong problems directly related to the actual virus, and the accompanying mental issues that derive from our less than stellar response to it.

But I suppose we are used to paying in blood for our "freedoms", and this is just another grim example. At least the race will likely happen in a few weeks now, but doesnt do much good for that athlete that planned their two week trip around this date. Locals will just have a nice long taper, probably do a lot better too...
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled/rescheduled less than week before race [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

If I'm going to feel sorry for someone, it is going to be the athletes that actually flew, booked a couple weeks of hotel time, and now get a lockdown vacation.

I feel for the athletes who for them this was their one and done Ironman. We might complain about them but that's a big part of Ironman's make up.

I've got an old high school friend who was supposed to race on Saturday. He's a one and done, with a wife and two kids got the support for this from them. If it gets cancelled I can't see him getting that buy in to do this all over again.
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled/rescheduled less than week before race [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
also have to feel for the athletes who were already into their tapers having done the hard work for months. that is first world problems though //

If I'm going to feel sorry for someone, it is going to be the athletes that actually flew, booked a couple weeks of hotel time, and now get a lockdown vacation. I get what they are doing there, in short order it will all be back to normal, because they can contact trace and surround the few cases back to 0. In the long run, this is the best overall attack on this thing, actually crushing it in its tracks before it gets a strangle hold on runs wild. Of course you have to be in this mentality from the start, so not an option for us here in the Freedom states of America. We will just pay the price of nearly a million dead before it is all said and done, probably 5 times that many with lifelong problems directly related to the actual virus, and the accompanying mental issues that derive from our less than stellar response to it.

But I suppose we are used to paying in blood for our "freedoms", and this is just another grim example. At least the race will likely happen in a few weeks now, but doesnt do much good for that athlete that planned their two week trip around this date. Locals will just have a nice long taper, probably do a lot better too...

Pretty sure you just saddle up your neighbours sheep and trot across the island, likely a 30min return trip. Maybe an hour if you decide to stop at the only milk bar in the "city" to buy some new jandals.
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled/rescheduled less than week before race [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fletch_boy wrote:
monty wrote:

Pretty sure you just saddle up your neighbours sheep and trot across the island, likely a 30min return trip. Maybe an hour if you decide to stop at the only milk bar in the "city" to buy some new jandals.

you've obviously spent plenty of time in NZ ;)

fair to say, there are probably less than usual travelling a long way for IMNZ this year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

I don’t think non nzers would have been able to fly in to nz for this race could they? Cept for maybe pros
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled/rescheduled less than week before race [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

I don’t think non nzers would have been able to fly in to nz for this race could they? Cept for maybe pros

Other than stranded Kiwis and the Wiggles, there's little chance you'd be able to come here. There are only so many spaces in the managed isolation hotels.

But still no official announcement. Until then I'd be a bit cautious planning anything.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled/rescheduled less than week before race [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
Fletch_boy wrote:
monty wrote:

you've obviously spent plenty of time in NZ ;)

fair to say, there are probably less than usual travelling a long way for IMNZ this year

I would think the only one getting on a plane to do this race are from the South Island. I would think everyone from tthe saame island would just generally get there driving, so they probably have plenty of warning. At the end of the day, that's racing during a worldwide pandemic. You may or you may not get to race. Put your head down, do the training, enjoy the journey of the training. If the race happens its a celebration of the journey.

But seriously, you guys will be back to normal pretty quickly. As for our leader, in Canada he has had an endless string of missteps, but which leader has not during an uncertain time. I would not say he is in the moronic category though (even though some actions border on that). The reality is that the Canadian economy is highly tied to the USA. We would die here in the winter, without truckers bringing essential goods from all over the USA. Families are split between countries, companies are spread across borders, supply chains etc etc etc. It is much tougher to seal off Canada like you can NZ, Aus, Taiwan etc etc. But yes, we could have sealed our country off from USA. Our 4 provinces in the east of Canada isolated themselves and they are doing waaaaay better than the rest of the country. But the reality is that our biggest provinces are highly connected to USA on many many fronts. Its not that easy to cut things off (which is why I kind of called NZ fantasy island because this option is not really available for many countries due to interconnectedness of economies, not to mention physical connection or not). I have cousins in NZ so get to live vicariously through their relatively free lives. It is great that you're able to quickly get this under control and go back to normal life (thus my statement of the sympathy factor being low because the rest of us are nowhere close to that).

Hey we want you to race so there is real race results to talk about rather than lockdowns to whine about!!!! Looks like the first one that will happen is IM70.3 Dubai, but that may also be iffy now from what I heard. But the entire place from what I understand is largely vaccinated or will be imminently
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

its a bit worse than that but we're certainly hoping it is only a brief interruption to what has generally been a pretty good situation. limited sympathy expected - we mostly appreciate how good we have it (though sympathy for certain countries that elected moronic leaders is limited too)

i think this highlights how uncertain things are for event organisers - whatever you think of their communication and refund policies, they're facing a tough time. on saturday afternoon, IMNZ was the most certain IM event in the world this year. organisers were busily pressing ahead with 6 days to go. next thing you know, its dead in the water. its a busy time of year for events here so a lot of other events were similarly affected

also have to feel for the athletes who were already into their tapers having done the hard work for months. that is first world problems though

You’re right. Fauci was a mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled/rescheduled less than week before race [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Microsoft Word - 2021 Nutri-Grain IRONMAN New Zealand Pro Start List.docx (sportngin.com)

Fair to say possibly the least diverse start list ever. (all NZL)

As you say, not sure if there would be anyone coming into quarantine for the race, but I would expect there to have been people starting to arrive in Taupo from within NZ from yesterday. Tuesday onwards is when it seems to start getting the main influx.
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled/rescheduled less than week before race [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Microsoft Word - 2021 Nutri-Grain IRONMAN New Zealand Pro Start List.docx (sportngin.com)

As you say, not sure if there would be anyone coming into quarantine for the race, but I would expect there to have been people starting to arrive in Taupo from within NZ from yesterday. Tuesday onwards is when it seems to start getting the main influx.

If they have to cancel all aspects of this race, they should just run it as a race of one athlete with Cameron Brown as the ultimate self paced socially distanced participate....just a Cam Brown solo TT should be the miminum!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled/rescheduled less than week before race [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

If they have to cancel all aspects of this race, they should just run it as a race of one athlete with Cameron Brown as the ultimate self paced socially distanced participate....just a Cam Brown solo TT should be the miminum!!!!

i was really looking forward to seeing what Kyle Smith can do. probably unknown outside of NZ and largely unsponsored but has been beating everyone including Braden Currie in all the 70.3s in NZ in the last year, generally with a course record thrown in for good measure (oh and an xterra win for variety). his first full distance might be a learning experience but its likely to be exciting whatever the outcome.

https://www.facebook.com/...07/3769996506440752/

Last edited by: pk1: Feb 28, 21 20:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

i was really looking forward to seeing what Kyle Smith can do. probably unknown outside of NZ and largely unsponsored but has been beating everyone including Braden Currie in all the 70.3s in NZ in the last year, generally with a course record thrown in for good measure (oh and an xterra win for variety). his first full distance might be a learning experience but its likely to be exciting whatever the outcome.

https://www.facebook.com/...07/3769996506440752/

Hannah Wells also hitting her first full. Maybe the delay will allow Teresa Adam to recover from her illness and make it to the start line. Those two are developing a promising rivalry.
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled less than week before race [philipshambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philipshambrook wrote:
salmonsteve wrote:
Upstaterun wrote:

Can't see anything official. Is this insider information?

I live in Taupo, organise the largest aid station on the course.....volunteers make IMNZ no point saying you’re going to put a race on if you haven’t already asked the vollies 😄

** edit just tried Pm’n you Phil but you don’t accept them.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Last edited by: salmonsteve: Feb 28, 21 22:36
Quote Reply
Re: IM New Zealand cancelled/rescheduled less than week before race [philipshambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The official instagram pointed out that they are close to announcing the deferred date, but will be tomorrow before then can give the official confirmation, and then athletes will get an email with the options available.

(I assume that some will perhaps go for a deferral to 2022 if they can't do the new date.)
Quote Reply

Prev Next