Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Louisville 2020?
Quote | Reply
I know IM's contract with the city went through 2019, and I've heard some rumblings about the race possibly not returning next year in 2020. Anyone else have any info or knowledge about the race's future?

Hail Purdue
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville 2020? [lessthaneight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to defer my 2019 entry to next year and just recently did some Google searching about next year’s date. I saw the contract is up this year. Interested in this as well.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville 2020? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did some research, plus my gut, would tell me that IF Ironman chooses to get rid of an event in 2020, it is going to be Louisville. My thoughts.

1. Louisville is situated between Madison and Chattanooga, both within a half day drive of Louisville (7 hours to Madison, 4.5 to Chattanooga).
2. Ironman recently added an event - Tulsa. If you look at a map of IM's races, there is this big void in the middle of the US (imagine a triangle drawn from Phoenix-Houston-Madison), so Tulsa (or Fayetteville) made the most sense. The map looks not much different without Louisville, but looks much different by adding Tulsa.
3. Weather has been a crap shoot (as it is in many places, but still). For years, end of August was too hot. Can't move it into September because Chattanooga and Madison are both already there. Last October they shorten the swim and then have people dropping left and right from hypothermia. Spring is also difficult because of the weather plus the Derby in May sucks up every Louisville resource for +/- 1 month of the start of May.
4. According to CoachCox, Louisville's listed athletes has dropped from 2652 to 2414 to 2366 across the last 3 years. And that's a far cry from the 3000+ back in 2012.
5. There's clearly some logistical stuff going on with the city. Changed the two loop run course that has been used for a decade to another 2 loop course that is 90% of paths. I understand it from a permit/police standpoint. But after pushback, they changed the course again a week ago to a 3 looper. I'm a big fan of the old course, not so much of the new one. I understand changes do come to courses, but this was an interesting one to me.
6. The contract is up. Perfect time to step out of the city.

Again, I hope it doesn't leave. I love Louisville and want to do the race again next year, but it could make sense.

Hail Purdue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it was hot, but the original IM Louisville was an awesome race! And by original, I mean the years it was held in August. I did IM Louisville in August twice, 2011 & 2012.

Everyone trained knowing it was going to be 90+ on race day. Everyone trained knowing it was going to be non-wetsuit. Everyone trained knowing they were going to run 2 loops out & back past Churchill Downs that was basically flat as a pancake. Everyone knew that the finish at 4th Street Live was the best finish on the circuit.

Now there are too many unknowns.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Sep 30, 19 12:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think Wanda would drop any race unless it was losing money.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville 2020? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree! In 2018 Louisville had 2366 starters, compared to 2135 at Choo and 2060 at Wisc. My guess is they all made money for Wanda!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville 2020? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Yes, it was hot, but the original IM Louisville was an awesome race! And by original, I mean the years it was held in August. I did IM Louisville in August twice, 2011 & 2012.

Everyone trained knowing it was going to be 90+ on race day. Everyone trained knowing it was going to be non-wetsuit. Everyone trained knowing they were going to run 2 loops out & back past Churchill Downs that was basically flat as a pancake. Everyone knew that the finish at 4th Street Live was the best finish on the circuit.

Now there are too many unknowns.

This.

I did Louisville in 2012 and 2014 and knew it was going to be hot as hell and non-wetsuit. I spent a pretty penny trying to find the best tri-suit with the most buoyancy. To me the biggest drawback to Louisville is swimming in the Ohio River. I won't do it again if I don't have to, it was disgusting.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville 2020? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree weather is iffy, but no more so than IMFL. Not sure what's up with the run course changes. I do know that IMLou 2015 was the greatest IM weather you could hope for. That was also the last year of that out-and-back with the ~1 mile climb and descent. Loved that bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love your tag lines :). Boiler Up! Although our poor football team has an injury bug I have never seen before in all my 50 years. Maybe next year....

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply