Eric Engel | http://www.ironmandiary.com
15% off INFINIT Nutrition w/ code: EENGEL-INFINIT
15% off AltRed w/ code: EENGEL-ALTRED
20% off AMP Human http://amphumanperformanc.refr.cc/ericengel
AP Racing "The Crew" | INFINIT Nutrition | AltRed | AMP Human
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Kona Slots (AWA Championship) [erengel23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never heard of AWA slots. Do those go to the next highest placing athlete that has AWA status?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Kona Slots (AWA Championship) [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was told the Female 55-59 had 1 regular spot and first place took it then the next AWA athlete took the allotted spot. An additional AWA spot rolled into the group and the 5th place female got the spot since she was the next AWA athlete in the top 5. So two faster athletes got overlooked. I disagree with this but it's a smart way for Ironman to ensure more people race to get those AWA points.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 3 years Male 50-54 will be getting the 4 spots.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Kona Slots (AWA Championship) [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's brilliant.
And in theory, rewards people for living the "ironman" lifestyle year after year.

They are a for profit company and building loyalty is a great way to build a business. I'm sure more then a couple people will
A) do some extra races next year to make sure they have awa
B) go take their awa points and try to get to kona the year after
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Kona Slots (AWA Championship) [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fwiw I missed a regular Kona slot by one person and am not AWA, so somebody I beat got a spot, but I have no issue with it at all. In reality the rule did not impact me, and made somebody else happy.
What race has slots for AWA for next year? They probably pick ones that are not filled up.
Last edited by: DBF: Oct 15, 19 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Kona Slots (AWA Championship) [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
fwiw I missed a regular Kona slot by one person and am not AWA, so somebody I beat got a a spot, but I have no issue with it at all. In reality the rule did not impact me, and made somebody else happy.
What race has slots for AWA for next year? They probably pick ones that are not up.

This was the first race they did this for. So who knows if they will do it again or not. It certainly would get me to bias my choice towards a race that has one more slot available, so in that sense the idea works. I almost signed up for Louisville on-site because of this (but other things caused me to use better judgement)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was inevitable.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Kona Slots (AWA Championship) [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is this will be expanded upon and may even begin to take slots away from non-AWA folks (imagine, 30 slots+10 AWA). Some have said down the road AWA being the only qualifier for Kona, while I don't think that will actually happen, I do think this is their way to begin working the status more into qualifying in general. Even as an AWA, it doesn't feel great for me however I do applaud them for their business sense here as it is brilliant to reward loyalty. And guess what? the masses will take note of this and try to achieve AWA if this gets expanded.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Kona Slots (AWA Championship) [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
My guess is this will be expanded upon and may even begin to take slots away from non-AWA folks (imagine, 30 slots+10 AWA). Some have said down the road AWA being the only qualifier for Kona, while I don't think that will actually happen, I do think this is their way to begin working the status more into qualifying in general. Even as an AWA, it doesn't feel great for me however I do applaud them for their business sense here as it is brilliant to reward loyalty. And guess what? the masses will take note of this and try to achieve AWA if this gets expanded.

Also you still need to be a fast AWA person. I would imagine most KQ’ers are already AWA as it is.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Kona Slots (AWA Championship) [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never heard of AWA spots before either. They do it the same weekend as Kona which obviously gives those trying to qualify an advantage since many athletes they would otherwise compete against are already in Kona.

That's a significant amount of extra slots they put into this race. Are these slots already getting taken out of other races or replacing some other form of entry?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric, Congratulations on your OA win!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Kona Slots (AWA Championship) [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
Never heard of AWA spots before either. They do it the same weekend as Kona which obviously gives those trying to qualify an advantage since many athletes they would otherwise compete against are already in Kona.

That's a significant amount of extra slots they put into this race. Are these slots already getting taken out of other races or replacing some other form of entry?

There's a thread on it earlier this year, this was the first race they're trialing it at.

Re: second paragraph: HAHA! No, Ironman needs to keep filling the pier with people until they have to pay to make the pier larger

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply