Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Lessons Learned: Too Much focus on Swim
Quote | Reply
In the past year, I have been able to do 2 HIM's and 1 full IM. During that time, I clocked over 150 miles of swimming. But, for the three events, only 1 swim actually happened. 2 of the swims were cancelled.

So all this swim training seems useless to me. I spent a lot of time training for the shortest duration and distance in an event, and the discipline that is most likely to be canceled. With a 33% chance of actually getting to swim, it seems like focusing on the bike and run are all that really matter.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lessons Learned: Too Much focus on Swim [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a waste! Two recent threads discuss it in detail. I think a large majority of swims still happen so better to be prepared for that than the minority of cases. But in the meantime, please post your 2019 race schedule so we can all avoid your bad luck :)

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Is_swimming_overrated_simply_because_it_comes_first%3F_P6731623/

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/The_Myth_of_Triathlon_Swimming%3A_Swimming_is_Swimming_P6729662/

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a better swimmer than a runner, I understand your pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done over 190 triathlons including 28 IMs and have never had a swim canceled (once optional).

Swimming provides great baseline fitness with little risk of injury. And, like I tell the youngsters the swim sets up the day regardless of speed - in order to run you need to have a good bike and get off fresh, and in order to have a good bike you have to have a good swim and get out fresh. So, the swim sets up the whole day.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your perspective.

I coach a lot of athletes that cannot log a bunch of running miles either by health issues, injuries, injury prone or choice (some choose to walk the IM run in fire fighter gear).

I use the swimming as a low impact aerobic and anaerobic workout platform. You can get a lot done on the engine in the pool if your workouts are planned correctly with minimal impact to the joints.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kind of feel the same way, but i guess it depends on what you're training for. 2 out of my last 3 halfs either had the swim cancelled or shortened, but you can bet that in Kona or 70.3 worlds the swim will happen, so I still train the hell out of it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that the bike and run are far more important when it comes to 70.3 and 140.6 training. I’ve lost swim fitness over the past few years, but I haven’t been trying to make up for it with more swimming volume, ive still been focusing on bike and run. Ive lost 1 min out of the water for a half and 2 min for a full. I’m a fop’er and that time spent trying to get that 1 or 2 min back in the water would be better spent trying to get 5-10 min on the bike and/or run. But that’s just my opinion. But I agree with whoever talked about the swim setting up the whole day. This is true. I make sure to not outswim my fitness and come outta the water bagged
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
In the past year, I have been able to do 2 HIM's and 1 full IM. During that time, I clocked over 150 miles of swimming. But, for the three events, only 1 swim actually happened. 2 of the swims were cancelled.

So all this swim training seems useless to me. I spent a lot of time training for the shortest duration and distance in an event, and the discipline that is most likely to be canceled. With a 33% chance of actually getting to swim, it seems like focusing on the bike and run are all that really matter.

150 miles, at about 2mph, so 75 hours of swimming, means you swam a whopping 1.5 hours/week? Sounds like you've already implemented your "focusing on the bike and run" plan.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once again the lengths and creativity that triathletes will go to to rationalize not swimming or not swimming very much never ceases to amaze me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I encourage all M45-49 to follow this logic.

I've spectated a lot of races over the last 6 years from sprints to IMs. I see a lot of people getting out of the swim gassed and the majority of those people have themselves to blame for their less than stellar performance on the bike & run.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I encourage all M45-49 to follow this logic.

I've spectated a lot of races over the last 6 years from sprints to IMs. I see a lot of people getting out of the swim gassed and the majority of those people have themselves to blame for their less than stellar performance on the bike & run.

Agreed! In fact I have a good buddy who swims 5-6x/week to supplement his running fitness. One can only stand so much pounding and aerobic fitness with little impact is huge. Hopefully my 65-69 ag competitors also follow the no swim "logic".
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lessons Learned: Too Much focus on Swim [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:

150 miles, at about 2mph, so 75 hours of swimming, means you swam a whopping 1.5 hours/week? Sounds like you've already implemented your "focusing on the bike and run" plan.

This. Works out to roughly 5000yds/week. That's a single workout for many of us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming is fun! I love the multisport lifestyle because I enjoy swimming, I enjoy cycling and I enjoy running. I've been to races where the swim was cancelled and it was disappointing but I did not regret any of my preparation.

Be patient, sounds like you are new to the sport and have had some bad luck. Odds are that if you continue with triathlon that you'll do plenty of races where you will get to do the full swim/bike/run ensemble.

If you don't enjoy swimming and are looking for justification then maybe duathlon, running and/or cycling might be a better fit for you. Good luck with your journey.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lessons Learned: Too Much focus on Swim [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
klehner wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:

This. Works out to roughly 5000yds/week. That's a single workout for many of us.

I'm a new and slow swimmer. According to Strava, I have swam 110 times for 102 hours ytd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I'm a new and slow swimmer. According to Strava, I have swam 110 times for 102 hours ytd.

In this case you are precisely the kind of person who should focus even more on swimming, not looking for an excuse to do it less.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lessons Learned: Too Much focus on Swim [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbd wrote:
Swimming is fun! I love the multisport lifestyle because I enjoy swimming, I enjoy cycling and I enjoy running. I've been to races where the swim was cancelled and it was disappointing but I did not regret any of my preparation.

Be patient, sounds like you are new to the sport and have had some bad luck. Odds are that if you continue with triathlon that you'll do plenty of races where you will get to do the full swim/bike/run ensemble.

If you don't enjoy swimming and are looking for justification then maybe duathlon, running and/or cycling might be a better fit for you. Good luck with your journey.

It is hard to train in a group for run and bike. Swimming is the only place I get to do that. One reason I like swimming.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: IM Lessons Learned: Too Much focus on Swim [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:

In this case you are precisely the kind of person who should focus even more on swimming, not looking for an excuse to do it less.

But in my experience, the swim isn't likely going to happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
g_lev wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:

Your sample size is way too small. Of the 10 IMs I have done, one had a swim cancellation. Of the 20+ 70.3s I have done, only one had a swim cancellation.

You are going to need to learn to swim well if you hope to do well at triathlon. There is no way around it. That said, if you want to remain mediocre, then by all means skip all the swim training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:

I agree completely. Of the 3 triathlons I signed up for this season, the swim was cancelled for 2 of them. (Temperature and water quality).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
g_lev wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:

You have bad luck. That is not a 'stat' that is an anecdote.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lessons Learned: Too Much focus on Swim [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:
g_lev wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:

You have bad luck. That is not a 'stat' that is an anecdote.

In 35 years, I have had 2 swims shortened and none cancelled. In the very rough water swims I've done, I was extremely happy I swim a lot. 10k/week minimum, especially given your abilities.
Quote Reply