Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Lake Placid (Official Thread)
Quote | Reply
Just sitting on the beach behind the hotel watching the race kick off. Conditions are very good this morning, probably 15F cooler than this time yesterday.

Internet is currently down at the hotel, so everyone out there probably knows more than we do.

In the age group race on the swim, keep your eyes peeled for PBN's Griffin McNeese (led EVERYONE out of the water @ Rev3 Quassy) & could go 46:xx today. There are 2 guys off the front in the AG swim - I assume Griffin & possibly Chip Berry.

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid (Official Thread) [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good luck to everybody out there!

Wish I could be racing

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianPBN wrote:

Internet is currently down at the hotel, so everyone out there probably knows more than we do.

--

Sadly there is no live coverage, very few updates and athlete tracker would appear to be down so you know more than anyone not there:(

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid (Official Thread) [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Sadly there is no live coverage, very few updates and athlete tracker would appear to be down so you know more than anyone not there:(
IronmanLive is down & not having updates!?! I am absolutely SHOCKED!!!

---

Brian Shea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianPBN wrote:
sciguy wrote:

IronmanLive is down & not having updates!?! I am absolutely SHOCKED!!!

Classic! The Boston Marathon provided split times texted to any phone practically instantaneously for 27,000 athletes.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian, can you change the title of the thread to "IMLP NO WETSUIT official thread". Kudos to WTC/USAT for sticking with the rules! I'm impressed.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid (Official Thread) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"IMLP NO WETSUIT official thread"

...and ML comes through for his first lap of the swim...hope he makes the cutoff.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid (Official Thread) [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He'll still swim sub 1:25 maybe 1:20....he swam 1:39 in Kona 5 years ago when the tide was pulling out and most people were 25% slower coming back to shore. I put ML at right around 1:20 today without the wetsuit. He's pretty smart though and will pace it well and not let it take too much out of him....even when he swam 1:39 in Kona he ran 3:2x
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Live video commentary seems to be holding up...

SHOCKER - No updates on the athlete tracker yet, 1.5 hours in.

Nice to have the video, and at least there are some blog updates, but out of 2500 athletes, shame we only have updates on around 8 athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's up. Tracker at least
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any sign of bandits??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Brian, can you change the title of the thread to "IMLP NO WETSUIT official thread". Kudos to WTC/USAT for sticking with the rules! I'm impressed.

X a million on that one.

I wish WTC would have adopted the xterra cutoff which, IIRC, is 72 degrees. Kudos to WTC!!!! There really is no need for crutches. You can either swim the distance or not.

Jamie

PS. Hope the recovery is going well Dev.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid (Official Thread) [treis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is anyone able to size the video? i had to download MS Silverlight (whatever that is) to watch the video. it doesn't seem to be as useful as the previous video player.

has anyone been able to make this video full screen?

and for the spectators who are there . . . did the lack of wetsuits chill out the scrum at the start?

* idioted by dsmallwood
[um, never mind. there's a link in the viewer. i clicked the link.]
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Jul 24, 11 5:57
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid (Official Thread) [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisG out in 1:12, no split yet for Bakker....my good friend and XC ski training partner Yves Fortin just did a 1:04, which is crazy fast for him with no wetsuit....he's racing 50-54 and last time he raced IMLP went almost 10 flat and podium'd. He will hopefully do some damage in 50-54.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I'll predict a top 5 for Ottawa pro Ryan Grant:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former NHL player and current Boston Bruins asst GM Don Sweeney with a 1:09:39 swim

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid (Official Thread) [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Former NHL player and current Boston Bruins asst GM Don Sweeney with a 1:09:39 swim

wow...as a 40 something ex hockey player myself (didn't quite make it to the SHow though:) nice to see some of these ex players stay in shape after their playing days are done. I've got about 10 buddies that played in the league and you'd have no clue they used to be pro athletes by looking at them today so good for Sweeney. Now can he bike and run :))
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid (Official Thread) [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There were definitely A LOT of athletes at the start who were in full freak-out prior to the gun. Regardless of whether you're a 50min or 1hr50min swimmer, my response is the same.....Stop worrying about the 1st 2-miles & concern yourself w/ the next 138.
---

Brian Shea
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid (Official Thread) [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how he is as a runner, but hockey players get a ton of riding in, so he should be strong heading into T2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
no split yet for Bakker

ouch...i wonder if he's regretting the "total aversion" swim plan. Dude will be blowing by A LOT of people on the bike and run either way.

Good for chris. He swam regularly with me at masters and lunch this winter/spring...so I wasn't surprised that he was fine without the wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regardless of whether you're a 50min or 1hr50min swimmer, my response is the same.....Stop worrying about the 1st 2-miles & concern yourself w/ the next 138.
-----------------------------------
Good point

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My coach and local Philly pro Holden Comeau (who did pretty well at the Philly Tri) was first out of the water with a 49:45. Still no T1 times that I can see, though.

--
Yes, I know it's grammatically incorrect. Blame AOL and their 90s-era character limits.
--
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid (Official Thread) [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
"total aversion" swim plan

Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid (Official Thread) [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I downloaded MS Silverlight but am still not able to access the video feed. I get a message saying that there was an application error in launching the player. Does anyone how to fix this?

Quote | Reply
One of my buddies who is a respected coach in town said, "you get the race you trained for". Looks like Chris put in the work and is well set up for the rest of the day....IMlive tracker is down, so time to go over to Eurosport and watch the Tour de France coverage!
Quote Reply

Prev Next