Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Hawaii auction slots
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else thought something was a bit funny about the Roberto Ruiz saga that has been written about by Xtri recently? This guy is obviously a terrific runner and probably a gifted athlete in addition to be disciplined and apparently pretty successful. What is the drama about whether he will manage to finish at Kona? He had around six months to prepare and was in terrific shape to start. All he has to do is learn to swim without drowning in that time and figure out which wheel of the bicycle goes in the front.

I wager he will finish and with a very respectable time. Probably a more respectable time than I have chalked up so far.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii TV coverage [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, given the time and money that he has, it seems reasonable that he will at least finish. And he'll probably show up with gear that will shame the pros. ( He'll be riding the new LiteSpeed 5/7 TiAu 14K Time Trial edition. )

What I'll be curious to see is if, in the TV coverage, they actually show people doing the race this year, instead of just the (IMO) lame personality pieces. I know they are all about the people behind the races because they think that gets more people to watch, but it doesn't do much for me. I learned something interesting a little while ago. If I watch the technique of faster racers, I can use that to become faster myself, so I like to actually see the racers racing. So I was kind of bummed out when last year's coverage didn't actually show much of the race.

Maybe they'll do a story about Ruiz.

"And now the uplifting story of a very, very, very rich man who overcame the burden of a successful business, riches beyond the wildest dreams of avarice, and a cushy life to achieve yet one more goal: Stay tuned for a very special segment we call: 'Buying my Way to Kona'."

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>I wager he will finish and with a very respectable time.<<

Maybe you should define "respectable time". From another email list........

Update: 9/04/03
--------------------
Final day in Hawaii and Coach Ahmed can finally get some sleep! Bobby
completed the 2.4 mile swim in 1 hour and 52 minutes. Way to go Bobby!!!
This was 28 minutes away from the cut off time. Bobby did not stop or turn
on his back and rest a single time. Coach followed along with a GPS pedaling
a paddle boat to ensure Bobby's safety and exact distance.

Update: 9/03/03
--------------------
Bobby and Coach Ahmed are in Hawaii. They are living the good life, while
doing a trial run of the course. Their decision to train for three days
ensures they are on the right track and helps in planning for any last
minute training adjustments.

On the first day, they rode the entire bike course. It was a 112 miles of
fun and Bobby got his first taste of the 'winds'. Overall his time was a
solid 7.2 hours. Bobby did make a couple of mistakes with nutrition and
pacing, but that is why they are riding the race course. Overall, it was a
great job for his first 112 mile bike ride.

On the second day, Bobby yelled, "Help". The ride was 105 miles with lots of
wind and HEAT. It was 6.5 hours in good ol' Hawaii weather. At one point,
Bobby and Coach were riding 7mph down hill! Bobby calls it 'SCARY' wind. Day
two went better and the nutrition and pacing adjustments definitely paid
dividends. Bobby also spent some time working on shifting. After a few hours
rest it was time for a one hour run. It was truly a great day. Tomorrow,
they go for a 2.4 mile swim. Good luck! Bobby, just swim faster than
Ahmed... The sharks always go for the slowest swimmer...

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I will bite. I will regret this since you are much more on top of this than I. He will finish under 14:15. Actually, I think more like 13 hours and change.

He bought the slot fair and square. He will do fine.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I"m really out of the loop here. I take it this guy Roberto Ruiz bought his way into Kona right?

I'm wondering if this (doing Ironman) is just something he's crossing off his list of things he wants to do for whatever reason.

I'm pretty sure that's the case, otherwise he'd already be a triathlete. Sad really.
Last edited by: beatnic_tx: Sep 19, 03 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry, I"m really out of the loop here. I take it this guy Roberto Ruiz bought his way into Kona right?

I'm wondering if this (doing Ironman) is just something he's crossing off his list of things he wants to do for whatever reason.

I'm pretty sure that's the case, otherwise he'd already be a triathlete. Sad really.
Decide for yourself. http://www.extremetri.com/article.asp?id=1030

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Exactly the folks we want [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I am a little soft in my judgement of the Auction slots. If you have the 35k $ chump change to help out the Kona YMCA and want to sign the check you are the kind of person we want in our sport.
If you get high profile players in the game who knows what sponsorship may shake out of the money tree. I have not seen the entire list of the auction slots but there are some bif fish in the pond. We are a little bias toward Michelle Wei, she is 13 in the mens PGA at Boise and not in last place. A smaller PGA event is on TV and in the news. Hawaii and Triworld needs this kind of thing. Aloha G
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up Cathy. I think even less now of this person then before I read his story. I just know he'll stay awake nights worrying about that.

Bet he does not break 12 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to say this, but the majority of the Age Group competitors in Kona have "bought their way in". Kona slots get rewarded to those with the deepest pockets who can afford to globe trot and find the qualifier where the competition doesn't quite stack up. "Can't quite make the cut at an IMNA race, head over to Lanzarote, or Malaysia, or Korea". I don't have a problem with the system, but I do have a problem when someone says "so and so BOUGHT their way into Kona". It's just sour grapes, "everybody" buys their way into Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [Mark C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I wouldn't agree with that. First of all, many people consider Lanzarote to be the most difficult IM course out there. Second, you still have to perform well enough at any race to have a slot awarded to you, whether it is through placing or through roll-down. Third, this is not a cheap sport, but neither is car racing or many other sports that require a lot of gear and extensive travel. Most people HAVE to fly someplace far away to do any IM race, so they might as well fly someplace nice.

Personally, I don't really have a problem with Ruiz. I simply have a lot more respect for someone who has spent several years training hard and working their way up to the point where they can qualify for Kona. Even someone who wins a lottery slot has to prove it by finishing a race within six months of the race.

From my point of view, Kona really is the "Big Show". Someone who has never done a triathlon before buying an auction slot for Kona is roughly equivalent to having a helicopter drop you aff at the top of Mt. Everest. Sure, you're there, but it doesn't mean anything.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really care that he was able to buy a slot to Kona, it goes to a good cause, but I do find it kind of odd that the guy would spend $30,000+...its that kind of misconception from people not in triathlon that its not a "real" IM if its not IM Hawaii. He'll probably use this as one of his great success stories for his motivational speaking...no slighting him by taking on the IM but it is hard to feel for his "struggles" when he is able to pay $30,0000+ for a slot, have the dough to pay for a personal trainer, buy all the best equipment, carry a cushy workload to fit in the training, and be able to fly out with your trainer to the island for a training weekend. I felt so much heartache for him when he thought he was outbid for the slot.

It just doesn't seem worthy of a human interest story...its like hearing about how "Muffy" the sorority girl had to endure through all the hardships of college because she had to drive class everyday in a 1999 BMW rather than the more new stylish Z4. Then to top it off she had to struggle through her French class by flying to France for the weekend with her private tutor to master her French homework. I care as much about this story as I do the CEO challenge. Do you think he will continue to do triathlons after this?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [gj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who is more of a "True Ironman" this Ruiz guy with 35k to blow, the incredibly lucky woman at this years ˝ Vineman who got the slot when it rolled down 12 places in the women’s 18-24, or a lottery winner? He bought it, she lucked into it and the others won it.

If they cross the finish line they will have my respect.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess my only beef is why Hawaii? Cant these people w/ the bucks jump in another Ironman 364 days in advance like the rest of us? Can a guy buy his way into the quaterback position at the Superbowl? I think its an insult to the "superbowl" of Ironman...speaking of Ruiz, whatever happend to Judy Molnar? the queen of Ironman charity...so much for a lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [imanbri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>whatever happend to Judy Molnar? the queen of Ironman charity...so much for a lifestyle.<<

What kind of asshole remark is that?

Judy lives in Baltimore with her husband who is in the Navy. She is a certified fitness professional and a certified USAT coach. She still competes and I believe, is one of the coaches for the women's Reebok tri series. So yeah, she still lives the lifestyle.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto. The folks in Kona get $30+ K for their YMCA. This gentleman does THE ironman. (So what if this is 'just something he's crossing off his list of things he wants to do'.) Everyone gets what one wants.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [phidippides] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do agree, he gets what he wants, the money goes to a good cause, and despite my posting I have no bones whether he is a "real" triathlete or not. I have great respect for ANYONE who even attempts an IM: DNF or 17 hour finisher... the story just doesn't seem very note worthy and especially not as a human interest story. Do I think he will finish: yes and probably with a respectable time - which to me is any time under 17 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii auction slots [imanbri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question: how did Steve Fossett get his Hawaii slot? (he was before my time) A qualifier? A courtesy entry to someone who swam the English Channel? Lottery? Some other way?
Quote Reply