Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Frankfurt Pro Race
Quote | Reply
So what's going on in the pro races here? is Wurf going full distance 3 weekends in a row? Is Frodo racing after that crash? If so, will Lange take it to him? Boecherer/Nilsson/Kastelein/Raelert to factor?

I'm excited for Sarah True's debut at the distance but this should still be the Ryf show. Is this Haug's debut too?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt Pro Race [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Andreas Raelert for sure racing? Seems like he gets a setback every time before racing the last two years. If he is, I hope he surprises the whole field and takes the thing.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m most interested to see Haug vs Ryf.

No matter what happens between Frodo and Lange at this race I think Lange will still be the favorite in Kona just because running there is a whole other beast and he’s obviously got it figured out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frodo will "race" but he may not actually race to keep himself from injuring himself further. He just needs to finish to validate.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think Wurf is racing but one never knows with him. Hopefully Nilsson has a great race, last year he outran Lange in Frankfurt and went sub 2:40. Field is stacked! Still have Frodo for the win though, and think Nilsson grabs 2nd with Lange 3rd.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raelert will not race. We will get to know more about all other questions during the press conference, I believe on Thursday (i.e. in what condition will Frodo be and if he wants to race a race). If Frodo will go full-throttle and is physically able to do so, I predict that it will be a lonely race for him unless Wurf and/or Amberger will be at the start line. Boecherer might be able to stay with him on the bike, but will fade on the run. Kastelein might as well ride with Frodo, at least for a while. But it will be a solid win for Frodo. Lange will run for second place, Boecherer third.

For the ladies, Ryf lonesome as well. The question will be how close Haug will come on the run and how far she can stay below 3 hours on the run.

Other facts and predictions: Bike will be longer than usual (185km/115 miles). Swim will be non-wetsuit for Pros, wetsuit legal for AGs. Weather will be sunny and warm (30°C/mid-80's F), light wind from north.

Not relevant for the pro race, but as a side-note: I will be there, racing ;-) Who else?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt Pro Race [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
Not relevant for the pro race, but as a side-note: I will be there, racing ;-) Who else?

Also racing! After a 5h10 in Kraichgau 70.3, I'm hoping for a sub 11h30

Was worried last week about a wetsuit ban (the lake was 25°C a few days ago), but the nights are really cool - this morning it was 11°C when I went for a lake swim.

The race lake was 22.5°C this morning, and even though the days will be 28-30°C, the water should stay below 24.5°C

Although the bike is 5km long, the 'new' part is nicer than the old part imho - much better roads as it uses one of the main roads, the B45. I've had a couple of rides on it, whilst horrible with lots of traffic, it'll be nice on race day :)

The run will be cooking on the River Main though!!!!

Good luck in your race!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt Pro Race [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
motorcity wrote:

Also racing! After a 5h10 in Kraichgau 70.3, I'm hoping for a sub 11h30

Was worried last week about a wetsuit ban (the lake was 25°C a few days ago), but the nights are really cool - this morning it was 11°C when I went for a lake swim.

The race lake was 22.5°C this morning, and even though the days will be 28-30°C, the water should stay below 24.5°C

Although the bike is 5km long, the 'new' part is nicer than the old part imho - much better roads as it uses one of the main roads, the B45. I've had a couple of rides on it, whilst horrible with lots of traffic, it'll be nice on race day :)

The run will be cooking on the River Main though!!!!

Good luck in your race!

With a 5h10 in Kraichgau, you should be good to aim at a sub11 finish in Frankfurt. Well, if it was 180km, not 185 ;-) But still, you certainly can aim for a finish in the 11:00 ~ 11:15 range unless you really struggle when it gets longer.

The lake is indeed warming up very slowly. I am hoping for non-wetsuit, but does not look good for me. Anyway, the run will be hot for sure. But typically not an issue in Frankfurt with a lot of sponges, cold water, ice etc.

But I have not raced there since 2012, so I did a quick recon ride (only by car) when I was visiting there recently, and I in fact also like to reroute. A bit up and down, but pavement looked good.

Here, I am aiming for 9:29h. Thanks and good luck as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
For the ladies, Ryf lonesome as well. The question will be how close Haug will come on the run and how far she can stay below 3 hours on the run.

Other facts and predictions: Bike will be longer than usual (185km/115 miles). Swim will be non-wetsuit for Pros, wetsuit legal for AGs. Weather will be sunny and warm (30°C/mid-80's F), light wind from north.

Wait so, is this the IMChoo of Europe then? are they tacking on these miles to make up for other races with short miles? Am I opening a can of worms by asking that question? Anyway, good for you biker types, now I know never to pick that race when i hit Europe!

Now understanding this is Haug's debut as well, I am quite excited to see what she can do. I don't really know the European pro list well but the only names I recognize as factors aside from Ryf/Haug/True are Crowley and Philipp. I guess still even a podium would be a feat for either debutant.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you guys think its mandatory to ride the course? I get in wedneaday and won't have the bike ready until Thursday. Even then, is the traffic bad enough not to ride it? Then again, its Europe. I keep forgetting they're cyclist friendly.
Also, I'm running a 1x11, 50t x 11-30. That worked fine for cda 70.3. If anything, I could use an extra gear on the descents.  What's your setup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
motorcity wrote:

Wait so, is this the IMChoo of Europe then? are they tacking on these miles to make up for other races with short miles? Am I opening a can of worms by asking that question? Anyway, good for you biker types, now I know never to pick that race when i hit Europe!
a) Not a can of worms for me. There is construction on the typically route and they have to reroute. Has happened in the past. I raced 185km in 2010. It has been 5km short in 2016 or 2017. It is just the way it is if you use public roads. They could have cut it short a bit at the most northern turn-around, but they wanted to keep the city of Friedberg happy and have the race going though their town.
b) I would actually prefer a shorter bike and non-wetsuit swim. So, guess if I am a biker type or not ;-)

hadukla wrote:
Now understanding this is Haug's debut as well, I am quite excited to see what she can do. I don't really know the European pro list well but the only names I recognize as factors aside from Ryf/Haug/True are Crowley and Philipp. I guess still even a podium would be a feat for either debutant.
Laura Philipp will not be racing, she is injured. I would not take any other names into account than the ones you stated...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt Pro Race [hetron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hetron wrote:
Do you guys think its mandatory to ride the course? I get in wedneaday and won't have the bike ready until Thursday. Even then, is the traffic bad enough not to ride it? Then again, its Europe. I keep forgetting they're cyclist friendly.

The course is still mainly on very busy roads. Not sure if there might be a guided and secured official loop ride on Thu. or Fri.. Currently, not that I am aware of. Personally, I would not recommend riding it. Will you have a car (which you do not need in/around Frankfurt)? If so, take the car for a recon ride. Or - if going by bike - go very early morning. It is dawning around 5am and should be warm enough around that time.
But is it mandatory? It certainly helps. The course has some twists and corners within small villages that will slow you down if you do not know them. It is also good to know the landmarks in the uphill sections. However, there is not really anything critical. If you want to squeeze out the very ultimate minute, it helps. If you simply want to have a safe and enjoyable race, you will go ok without a recon ride.

hetron wrote:
Also, I'm running a 1x11, 50t x 11-30. That worked fine for cda 70.3. If anything, I could use an extra gear on the descents. What's your setup?

I ride 53/39 with a 26/11 cassette. However, none of the climbs is really step nor long. Looking at the CdA course map and if you can ride low cadence, you should be fine with the uphill sections (I prefer very high cadence, so I need a little gear). But you certainly could make use of a higher gear on some downhill sections. Again, it all depends if you are easy enough to let it roll, relax your legs and "lose" 10 or 20 seconds, or if you are counting seconds...
Last edited by: motorcity: Jul 3, 18 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look here: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rt_Gearing_P5963706/
It includes a video (of the typical course, but 80~90% is identical with this year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. Thanks for the info. I'll at least drive it. I'm not too worried.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt Pro Race [hetron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there also. I'm planning on another "almost exactly mid-pack" finish. Not sure how hot the run will actually be. Looks to be low humidity which should help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully relevant to the pro race, I’m racing (bib 20). Getting in to town Thursday morning
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt Pro Race [TriBy3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBy3 wrote:
Hopefully relevant to the pro race, I’m racing (bib 20). Getting in to town Thursday morning

Gregory Close? What's your goal for Sunday? Any Pro advise for the Frankfurt course?

Safe travels and have a good race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoping to be as close to 8 hours as possible! I’ve never done Frankfurt so I’m afraid I can’t offer any course specific advice. I’m trying to learn from your threads like everyone else :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt Pro Race [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
I don't think Wurf is racing but one never knows with him. Hopefully Nilsson has a great race, last year he outran Lange in Frankfurt and went sub 2:40. Field is stacked! Still have Frodo for the win though, and think Nilsson grabs 2nd with Lange 3rd.
Called it! What a race! Awesome job from Frodo, and great to see Nilsson have a good race again!
Really enjoyed the stream as well

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt Pro Race [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryf killed it again. Passed True in T1 and then went out and solo’d the race for a 26 minute victory. Destroyed the course record as well (despite the bike being longer than last years course). Save for injury, I can’t see anyone coming close to touching her (again) this year.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt Pro Race [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I think Ryf and Frodo will be heavy favorites in Hawaii. I think at some point Lucy Charles may give Daniella problems but that’s a year or two away.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt Pro Race [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Judging by the splits it looks like Daniela (smartly) let off the gas on the second half of the run. She still finished 7th OVERALL at a championship race with a pretty strong field. Barring sickness or a crash I don’t see anyone coming close to her.

Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
Judging by the splits it looks like Daniela (smartly) let off the gas on the second half of the run. She still finished 7th OVERALL at a championship race with a pretty strong field. Barring sickness or a crash I don’t see anyone coming close to her.

She mentioned in the post-race interview that she did the first loop too fast because of the crowd excitement. Said the second loop was tough. But yeah, she's clearly the best in the sport.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt Pro Race [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7th overall for Ryf is amazing. I wonder how the result would have differed if the women and men started together.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt Pro Race [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan's performance was good but Daniela's was by far outstanding today and imho ranked higher than Jan's. Ranked 7th in the pro men field is amazing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next