Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Florida
Quote | Reply
Saw this on the IM Florida chat page...anyone?

Just returned from a ski trip in Lake Placid. What a blast. No, I did not see Graham but I spoke to someone later who was with him earlier. He told me they are thinking of moving Ironman Florida. Has anyone else heard anything different? I enjoy this one
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that this is the last year in the contract with Panama City Beach. At last year's Ironman I did hear people talking about a possible move when the contract runs out. I don't know anything for sure but I would think Panama City Beach would loose out on a lot of money if they don't keep it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was an article about this situation not that long ago.

Seemed to be that the IMNA wanted more cash (as opposed to services and such) than the PMC chamber of commerce wanted to surrender.

Discussions were ongoing at the time. Probably still are.

My opinion is that in the five years since IMFL got started the folks at IMNA have seen how much cities are willing to do to get an Mdot race. Thde buffalo springs bid for the race that ws to beceom IM idaho supposedly was a financial blockbuster deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent 3 months in Panama City last fall (and worked as a Finish Line Catcher--totally inspiring!).

While there, it became apparent that only a small group of locals support the race. The sponsoring resort, a few council members, and a few restaurants. Many/most of the remaining businesses are already closed for the winter and aren't willing to re-open for a week in November.

I spoke extensively with locals and the perception was that the race didn't generate enough income. Remember...They are used to having tens of thousands of drunk college kids hit the beaches every spring...Quite honestly, IM doesn't make much of a dent compared to Spring Break (whether a community should aspire to drunken debauchery as a major source of revenue is another debate).

I think it's pretty safe to say that PC won't make a very compelling offer. Actually, I think the venue is pretty uninspiring when compared with (Lake Placid, Penticton, or Madison) so I'd love to see the event moved. I wonder if they could do anything in the Carolinas or perhaps Tallahassee (nicer town, lots of college support, etc.).

Just my $.02

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Texas anyone? Corpus Christi would be nice.......

1*
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard much of the same as what you mention. The city in general isn't very supportive of the race. Seems like they are almost annoyed by it. IMO there are enough towns that would be happy to host such a race that it shouldn't be necessary to have to host it in such an unreceptive place. You mentioned the Carolinas. A big tri in Charleston, SC would be pretty damn cool! That is provided it's not in the summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Puskas, are you in Tallahassee? I live here, and have thought about an IM here. Lots of hills, but a great small group of triathletes, Gulf Winds Track Club. And there would be plenty of college kids to help! and some nice eye candy (co-eds) to inspire whenever needed!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the perception was that the race didn't generate enough income
i can't say for sure what the overall local perception is, but my homestay family was wonderfully supportive of the athletes and the race. they put an amazing amount of time and effort into both IM FLA and Gulf Coast Tri both by working the events and by hosting athletes. they, and the other volunteers with whom i spoke, are worried that PC may well lose out to a larger city (likely orlando) with more $$ to pay the corporate machine. from my experiences there, PC and the people are both great. i think it would be a travesty to move the race...but i'm sure WTC will go wherever they can get the most money to line their pockets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what's been on the news, it's a money issue. Ironman, inc. was getting something like $250,000/year from the Panama City Beach Tourist Development Council under the old contract. The PCBTDC likes having the Ironman there because November is a dead spot in terms of tourism: the fall crowds are gone, but the Snowbirds don't really max out until after Christmas. And Ironman week really does generate a lot more revenue than the typical November week. But Ironman wants more money for another 5 year contract. The PCBTDC figures they've got some other things going on in the area that may be a better use for bed tax money than paying more to Ironman.

Overall, the FL panhandle is very tri-friendly, and the local sprints dance card can get pretty full, especially during spring and fall. I'd like to see IMFL back for another 5 years since I'm planning for something iron distance in 2004, and hey, it's 50 miles from my house and it would be nice to do iron distance and then be able to sleep in my own (much comfier than a hotel) bed afterwards. But I understand it's a business decision, and if IMFL turns into IM Corpus Christi, I'll just go do Great Floridian instead.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they want to change the venue, and keep the race at approx. the same time of year they can't go north. It would be too cold. I personally dig the ocean/gulf much more than a lake swim.

I find it interesting that the city pays IM to have the race. Tells us there is mucho bucks rolling around. I founf PCB very dead when I was there for IM. It seems to me that they would love to have all the people in town?
Quote Reply