Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some.
Quote | Reply
After hearing a teammate complain about someone bringing his wife 4 kids grandma grandpa the dog aunt lily uncle tom... (you guys get the picture) across the finish line for the 'ironfamily' photo finish we could call it, he was extremely depressed because he didn't get a decent picture for himself. he got a picture of him crossing the F line with another persons family. Now watching on IM Live I just saw someone's sad face that after all they've been through that day after 12 hours of racing, they get the shaft of finishing behind someone else's family. i know if this happened to me I would be UBER pissed. Any thoughts on this????????????

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the athletes finishing chute & the finish line should be just for athletes, no kids, no families etc, just COMPETITORS !

there could however be an area adjacent to the fish line where photos can be taken, maybe have a background pic or whatever as a backdrop.

the same goes for podiums, I really don't know why some athletes think that it's cool to take their kids up with them. ( not that I'll ever get onto any podium ) I understand, maybe the winner wants to take his kids up with them but the other placed athlete have the winners kids in their podium photos as well. eg the TdF podium this year, seemed to have as many children as athletes.

no children or families in the chute or finish line!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you from experience and from observation that this happens over and over again at every Ironman. It can be very annoying. Some of the best advice I ever got on doing an Ironman was to look behind you as you are approaching the line and make sure your photo is clean. Easier said than done at rush hour. IMNA has tried to take some steps to limit people dragging the whole clan across the line, but it is difficult to control. I can tell you that some people in the organization would like the practice stopped altogether. Imagine the liability when some delirious finisher drops his newborn as he's crossing the line and the poor babe gets drop kicked into the bleachers.

Gary Mc

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Last edited by: Gary Mc: Sep 11, 05 17:37
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
when some delirious finisher drops his newborn as he crossing the line and the poor babe gets drop kicked into the bleachers.

Gary Mc
:) lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's rude, and shouldn't be allowed at all. it's one thing if we were talking about a local small size tri--but an ironman? that's ridiculous!! i would be very upset if that happened to me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was the best part of my race...especially when I held my kid in front of your whiney faces.

If you see the person in front of you has kids, slow down and wait for the clear shot like everybody else.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it's rude, and shouldn't be allowed at all. it's one thing if we were talking about a local small size tri--but an ironman? that's ridiculous!! i would be very upset if that happened to me.

No surprise that all the child-less folk feel that way.

I think it's awesome that the families can share in the finish... God knows they shared in the journey to get there... so if you wanted a clear picture then slow down or speed up.
Last edited by: Diablo-Advocato: Sep 11, 05 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a family and I have to say that I agree with Ted. Some families are totally inconsiderate of other competitors. By all means, bring your family to the line, but wait for a moment until there is no one coming. Don't clog up the finish chute.

This year at LP I asked my son if he wanted to run with me to the line and he said, "No Dad, it is your race, you did the distance, not me, so you should cross the line". I think that is pretty mature from an 8 year old.

I agree that families are "in it" all year, supporting their Man or Woman, but there are better ways to "thank your family" then dragging them across the line.

In any event, the family across the line is there to stay. It should just be done by competitors with more consideration for others.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a family man too.

But I've seen one too many close calls at the finish chute lately.One year at IMLP some folks were trying to get in under 12hrs with seconds to go encounter a log jam . Could have been real ugly.

Its a tough call any way you look at it.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see why the IM finishline should be any different from the marathon finishline etiquette; pace or run with your guy/gal until the start of the chute, then break off & allow them the finish & photo that they earned. No non-competitors crossing the line or clogging up the chute.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [Tell3131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As one of the professional photographers at the finish line (for the media not a finish line photo company), I am sure that one day I will see a baby fall from the sweaty arms of some father or mother as they cross the finish line. This past St. Anthony's there was a buffed and sweaty dad carrying his what appeared to be a new born across the finish line, the baby's head was flying back and forth and side to side. The dad ran for at least the entire finish line chute with his baby. I know after the father finished, the paramedics took control of the baby to make sure he/she was ok from the flailing. I shot the entire chute after I saw the baby bobbing up and down and back and forth. I found him a couple of minutes later and showed him one of the more severe "whiplash" type photos, and he was amazed how his baby was flying about. He swore he would never do it again.

Professionally I am in a catch 22 with the winners of the race because the publications I shoot for want the winners, yet if a kid is in the shot they are more apt to not use it since usually the kid'(s) face(s) are obscured rendering the photo unusable, or a sever crop showing only the racer with out the family appendages (if the ribbon is still showing).

Mark E. Lepow
Professional Triathlon Photographer
co-owner, Lepow Photo
lepowphoto.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [DualFual] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or why not have two chutes, have an additional one for those that want to do the full family slo. mo. run, take your time & leave the main chute for those of us who just want to get to the line unhindered. there is enough effort getting to the line with clear space around us without the extended family portraits.

or the family runs should wait until there is clear space, even though that can be a bit difficult during peak hour.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good idea!!! Very simple too.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You think that's bad?

The WTC just announced they are going to allow wedding ceremonies and exorcisms at the finish lines all IMNA races next year.

No shit.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but it's my job to challenge your post ...

I've kinda wondered how that happened. I haven't been posting much lately, and I must have missed it. Was it like, an election, or a Slowman appointment thing, or did you just kind of give yourself the "job".

Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
but it's my job to challenge your post ...

I've kinda wondered how that happened. I haven't been posting much lately, and I must have missed it. Was it like, an election, or a Slowman appointment thing, or did you just kind of give yourself the "job".

You questioned me and look what happend to the color of your post... doubt my authority now?

;-)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"God knows they shared in the journey to get there."

Yes, they were there before the race, and they will be there after the race. Technically, isn't it receiving outside assistance? That would be a pretty funny DQ.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a tough call any way you look at it.

Not really. Seems to me, if you are going to do something that takes extra time, and or is outside of rules/procedure that you make certain that you are not impeding others.

I am one that supports the "family shot" idea ... but not at the expense of diminishing the integrity of the race.

Wouldn't the "family shot" technically be "blocking"?

It just seems to me if I were going to get a pick with my family, I'd tell those racing behind me to "go ahead and pass". At least, that's what I would appreciate if I were running to the finish line looking to get the lowest finishing time possible. It is first and foremost, a race.

I could just as easily get a family photo of everyone with me holding my finisher's medal up and it would be just as memorable.

I, personally, would feel bad if I kept someone else from hitting a PR or goal time and/or invaded their finish photo. I think everyone realises that the finish photo is a big deal to most folks.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Technically, isn't it receiving outside assistance? That would be a pretty funny DQ.[/reply]

Actually, I think it would be pacing. ;-)

Count me as a NO ENTOURAGE in the finishing chute vote.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [Floating Debris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...especially when I held my kid in front of your whiney faces."

did you remember to have your kid/human pennant/human flag checked in the medic tent for whiplash?

except for teams like the hoyts, the im is an individual time trial from start to finish. the finish is not the chute, it is that little white line they keep talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So... who's more self-absorbed:

the person who brought "his wife 4 kids grandma grandpa the dog aunt lily uncle tom ... across the finish line for the 'ironfamily' photo finish " ruining the following finisher's picture

or

the person who "was extremely depressed because he didn't get a decent picture for himself" because a family came down the chute before him and ruined his finisher's picture?

(this'll get tongues waggin')
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [Floating Debris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The onus should be on the competitor with the kids to look behind and slow down (or speed up), not the other way around. If it's important enough for someone to bring their family across the line with them, then they can wait the required amount of time until there's no one close behind them.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]You think that's bad?

The WTC just announced they are going to allow wedding ceremonies and exorcisms at the finish lines all IMNA races next year.

No shit.[/reply]

OH GOD DO I EVER want to see an exorcism at an IM finish. The power of christ compells you to do your PR FOR THE RUN TIME!

"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay...I'm guilty as charged. But, I tried like hell to space my finish with my girls but I mis-calculated the hard charging MOPer that decided to break into a sprint 100 meters from the line. Who knew seeing two little girls would be like waving red cape in front of a bull.

My point is, some folks want their cake and want to eat it as well. What about all those swimmers that got in your way at the start? Did you have to actually swim around them or even wait to make your move? All those bikes trying to get out the bike exit at the same time? Did you have to slow down and wait your turn? Did you knock down that 56 y.o. walking guy to get your cup of Coke first?

"Wahhh! A family ruined my picture! I could have gone 12:20:24 but instead I went 12:20:54! Wahh! Kids! What's the &*$%#@ point!?!"

It CAN happen for every IMer but we all have to give a little to get a little. As the Immortal Bard once said, "Can't we all just get along?"

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Finish pictures... families ruin it for some. [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's true, it's never ever going to be a happy medium no matter what. but it's just simple things people need to take into consideration.
a mauk finish line would be a good thing to have!
and for all the other posters posting about babies flying out of arms, that's devastating, if i were watching IMLive and i saw that I think I would write a very stern and influencing note to the WTC.

Quote Reply

Prev Next