Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Cozumel November 22
Quote | Reply
I will be in Cozumel MX the month of November to train and (hope to do the race again this year). I'll have tools and happy to help anyone that is on the island. Just send me a PM here on the site if you run into an issue and want some help.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel November 22 [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan- thinking pretty seriously about entering the race, was planning on waiting until the last minute, as I've been cancelled out of 3 IMs so far this year. But wanted to get one in, as it will be #12 if I finish. So there's that....

What do you think are the chances of the race actually taking place?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel November 22 [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything points to a go. They have had some events there when other cities are not.

If it does not go I will have a great place to vacation :-)

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They just did the 70.3 this past weekend. So it should go on barring a spike in cases in Quintana Roo.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quintana Roo is also moving from their Orange to Yellow phase, so more capacities etc. I think it's likely to go if things continue in the same direction
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel November 22 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Quintana Roo is also moving from their Orange to Yellow phase, so more capacities etc. I think it's likely to go if things continue in the same direction

I am still in Coz after the 70.3 and was visiting with a prominent dive shop owner that is personal friends with both the mayor of Coz and the governor of Q Roo. Yes the State of Q Roo has moved to yellow per the governors order in contradiction the Mexican Presidents request to remain Orange. He said that while the economy is very glad to have the Ironman back on the island, they are all afraid of the virus as every hospital here is already full.

I will also add that use of masks and distancing here is very good in public space and businesses. Except for guests at resorts where it is “optional” for them but mandatory for workers.

So if the island trends similar to what has happened in the USA after larger gatherings - they will see a spike over the next 2-3 weeks followed by a rise in hospitalization and deaths.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel November 22 [sdbanker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, after i posted that I went back to the post I read it on, and there was more discussion about how it was inconsistent as to the phases.

I love coz, and hope it doesn't suffer horribly. I hope that there is not a spike after the 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Yeah, after i posted that I went back to the post I read it on, and there was more discussion about how it was inconsistent as to the phases.

I love coz, and hope it doesn't suffer horribly. I hope that there is not a spike after the 70.3.

I do too. But I don’t have a good feeling about it and it really has more to do with the tourists than the locals.

As an example on my dive boat today, there were 7 divers and 3 crew members. But it was only me and the three boat crew wearing masks. The rest of the divers did not wear a mask while on board. I rented equipment and even brought my own bite valve to change as a precaution. The others had their own equipment so that wasn’t an issue except being unmasked on the boat (or at resort) . And the number of dive boats out at the reefs looked like an armada.

I hope it doesn’t happen and they can remain open for the full IM in 7 weeks, but if hospitals are full now and there is a spike in cases after this event, it won’t be likely given the political divide already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I've heard the same about tourists being lax as opposed to locals. Like people from the states just want to go down and ignore the whole thing entirely.

Jealous that you're out diving tho. Hope it's been good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The locals are excellent at masking indoors and out , lots of hand sanitizer and quick temp checks.
There's a terrific tri and fishing store, Cabrilla , in a new location 4 blocks from the race venue. Well- stocked, excellent staff , and they have a master mechanic ( Eduardo ) if you need something more specific.Say hi to the owner,Dailene !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Yeah I've heard the same about tourists being lax as opposed to locals. Like people from the states just want to go down and ignore the whole thing entirely.

Jealous that you're out diving tho. Hope it's been good

Diving is great right now. The shutdown has helped the reef out tremendously. It’s the first time that I saw a shark (black tip), octopus, barracuda, lobster, turtles and all the other normal reef fish in a single two tank day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was wondering since the reefs were closed for a while and then totally closed. What a treat to get to dive them like that. Continue living the dream for us
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,

do you happen to know what the rules regarding face masks are in Cozumel? I.e. can you solo bike and run without face masks and do you need a mask on the beach given sufficient distance?

My original flights got cancelled so "unfortunately" I will need to spend a few extra days on the island pre- and post-race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel November 22 [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m going to bring some masks but don’t plan to wear one while running or biking on my own. Our hotel states that all resort workers are wearing masks and they have put special cleaning g procedures in place but don’t have any notice up on the website about guests.

In my mind it’s’ Mask or distancing so I plan on distancing as much as is practical and wear the mask when necessary.

If the RD does what they did for the 1/2 I think it will be a reasonable plan to mitigate.

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would plan on ALWAYS having a mask with you just in case. At one point, Summer and one of her brothers were standing along the water with their masks around their necks, not within 20 meters of anyone else, and a cop driving by on a motorcycle signaled for them to pull their masks up. They really don't mess around with masks. Even most of the delivery people, whether on motos or bikes, are wearing masks while driving around.

I stayed on the very north edge of the main road so I was able to run north which meant there was pretty much zero chance I passed anyone, but when I did a bike ride from town headed south, I made sure to carry a mask with me. By the time I was returning to town and starting to bike by other people in the bike lane, I decided to just pull over and put the mask on and ride the last mile with it on. I probably wouldn't do that in the US considering I was only passing a few people but the vibes on the island are definitely different.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thank you! I will definitely have a mask handy at all times, will play wearing the mask on the run and bike by ear.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel November 22 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks!

Yep, will definitely have a mask handy at all times, not keen on any issues with the local police.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m looking at swapping from AZ to Coz given the shortened AZ course and lousy Tempe roads.

Any new info about the race being cancelled, or major local Covid breakouts?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel November 22 [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I’m looking at swapping from AZ to Coz given the shortened AZ course and lousy Tempe roads.

Any new info about the race being cancelled, or major local Covid breakouts?

Unless they’re willing to make exceptions during COVID times, Ironman Cozumel is not part of the transfer program since it’s a licensed race and WTC doesn’t own it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel November 22 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know how that works. Just defer AZ to next year, and race Coz this year instead
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
I will be in Cozumel MX the month of November to train and (hope to do the race again this year). I'll have tools and happy to help anyone that is on the island. Just send me a PM here on the site if you run into an issue and want some help.

When Dan says he has his tools and happy to help anyone he's not joking. My di2 didn't work after I assembled my bike at IMCZ last year, and started stressing out (should I ride fixie entire course, where can I rent a bike etc..) I emailed Dan, and he told me to come to his hotel room at 9pm at night! He Macgyver'd the shorted out di2 w/ super glue that he told me to pick up at the market, some electrical tape, his tools and his wife's disposable razor! Thanks a million Dan!

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel November 22 [frebay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a great night:-) Happy to help and glad you had a great race the next day.

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another hurricane ripping through there right now. Delta came right after 70.3 Cozumel and beat down the area pretty bad.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel November 22 [Boundless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any concerns for this year's race with the newest hurricane Iota forming today?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel November 22 [dross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of today, the expected path of Iota is not near Cozumel.
Quote Reply

Prev Next