Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [Tall_Coffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just looked at the pics and no question about it...shitty that they were that blatant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tall_Coffee wrote:
Seems like 3rd M40-44 took a KQ slot

Before this thread gets completely derailed, does anyone know how common it is that there are only three slots in M40-44? I just always assumed it would get four.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I myself do like a good semi-legal draft but those pics and splits seem to point towards a more nefarious endeavor. Did the lack of a swim mean anyone could start with anyone else they wanted or did you start with folks in your age group?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't looked at starters, but I have few thoughts.

1) Triathlon is getting older. When I started I was in the 25-29 AG and 40-44 was the largest age group. Now I'm in 35-39 and 45-49 and 50-54 are the largest. It seems like the other age groups aren't adding the numbers like they used to and that large group of people from when I started hasn't dropped much.

2)40-44 could have had a bunch of first time bucket-listers doing the race. They may have decided to switch to another race
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [tritontoby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my friend who raced. It was by bib but didn't have to be in exact order. You just couldn't go ahead of your bib# but you could go where you wanted behind it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Tall_Coffee wrote:

Before this thread gets completely derailed, does anyone know how common it is that there are only three slots in M40-44? I just always assumed it would get four.
I don't track them all, but this is the first time I've seen M40-44 get only 3 at a 40 slot race. In the 6 years I've been doing triathlon, I've seen M45-49 grow larger than M40-44, and now M50-54 is starting to.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am actually the 4th place person in M40-44. I was really surprised to see only 3 slots...and now this whole thing is really getting interesting:)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [jdee3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering you were only 5:14 off of 3rd and the slot... I wouldn't be too happy
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been in the largest AG for every race I've raced in 12 years in triathlon

Gtjojo189 wrote:

1) Triathlon is getting older. When I started I was in the 25-29 AG and 40-44 was the largest age group. Now I'm in 35-39 and 45-49 and 50-54 are the largest. It seems like the other age groups aren't adding the numbers like they used to and that large group of people from when I started hasn't dropped much.

2)40-44 could have had a bunch of first time bucket-listers doing the race. They may have decided to switch to another race

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [jdee3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting for sure but what odds are he gives it up or has it taken away? Nice proof on then fb choo forum. But still ain’t seen them go back and remove v often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tall_Coffee wrote:
From my friend who raced. It was by bib but didn't have to be in exact order. You just couldn't go ahead of your bib# but you could go where you wanted behind it.

Basically yes. They tried their best to bring in big groups at a time from the same number range, but it would not have been tough at all to just move back to wherever you wanted to be.

Also a preemptive defensive strike at the top of the field, clean as a whistle. I was in sight range of the top 5-ish at different points on both loops, we were all yo-yo-ing with the hills a bit, and not one of them got anywhere near trouble. I actually saw a ref bike 10-ish times out there so I was pretty pleased with that situation until I started reading about some of the blatant drafting that started farther back in the field.

More on topic.. 2 spots for 30-34 was killer yesterday. 6th OA and I still missed a KQ by 2 spots, haha.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Oct 2, 18 14:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all depends...beat me fair and square and I’m happy. We all know what it takes to race an Ironman and all the sacrifices we make. I have a full time job and 3 little kids. So if I get cheated, that wouldn’t make me happy. Great race and venue either way. Awesome to bring your family!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I concur. Watched these guys ride out of site literally sitting on each other’s tire for a couple miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup.

That Cheyenne guy has a long list of races. Including IMTX last year where he rode almost an hour faster than the previous year . The IMchatt FBpage has a bunch of info on the guy from previous races.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I've been in the largest AG for every race I've raced in 12 years in triathlon

Gtjojo189 wrote:

Not to derail the thread (maybe I should make a separate one?), but I was discussing this with my wife last night at dinner (she loves talking about the triathlon meta-game): does this mean that the 'age group of death' that is M30-34 will be M35-39 in a few years and M30-34 will no longer be the hardest AG? Or will a bunch of my fellow M25-29 pick up a ton of speed and keep M30-34 ridiculous?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprise. He's also in that list someone compiled for IM Texas of the bike mat splits. Dude is on someone's wheel for practically the whole race. I know it's Texas but if they'll cheat there, they'll cheat anywhere. Also, some of his results are a little fishy. I'm not saying you can't take off 2 hours in a half, but that's pretty incredible if you ask me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [PomDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think 30-34 is the age group of death for a few reasons, and this all has to do with racing full IM's.

1) Since the bump from 50 to 40 slots per race, this age group usually only sees 2 slots. They are usually the first to catch a reallocation if there is one. 25-29 usually has 2 with a few less competitors and and 35-39 usually catch 3 slots. Check the time difference between 2nd in 30-34 in most IM's and 3rd in 35-39. Usually it's 5 to 10 mins slower.

2) I also think a lot of the 30-34 guys are still single or if married haven't started having kids yet. This allows for more training time and I think by the time they hit 35-39 they are at a point where they focus more on their family than putting in close to 18-20 hrs a week training for an IM. They still train in 35-39, but they are more likely crushing olympics and 70.3s then disappearing on the weekend for 100+ mile bike rides.

3) 30-34 can afford the arms race. IMO to really be competitive in triathlon you are going to need a solid bike, aero gear (race wheels, helmet), probably a type of power meter, able to drop a few grand on a race schedule and everything else associated with triathlon. I know in 25-29 I was definitely racing on a budget and trying to be as efficient as possible with every gear purchase. By the time I was 33/34 I was moving more to what is described as the "average triathlete salary" and could afford to blow a little on some purchases.

I don't think you will see a shift to 35-39 on this when you age up. I could be wrong. I think some of the fast guys will move to starting families and the 25-29 fast guys will move up and more fast guys around 30-34 will find the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
As previously said 45-49 and 50-54 had four slots each. I believe top 4 in 50-54 took the slots. In 45-49 2nd place passed because he went last year. 5th took it. I won 45-49 and am going to the Big Island for the first time 😀

I finished third in M45-49, and took a slot (my first Kona as well). I was very surprised to see a slot roll down to 5th in our age group. At 3rd, I was fairly certain I was in before breakfast.

I'll be in 50-54 in 2019, and didn't know going in how they allocate Kona slots for folks that"Age up" between their qualifying race an Kona. Easy enough rule, if you qualify, you qualify. Period.

----------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Tall_Coffee wrote:

Looks like M40-44 is not the largest AG here:

M18-24 - 26 finishers, 4 DNFs (30 starters, 1 spot)
M25-29 - 83 finishers, 8 DNFs (91 starters, 2 spots)
M30-34 - 141 finishers, 15 DNFs (156 starters, 2 spots)
M35-39 - 173 finishers, 24 DNFs (197 starters, 2 spots or 3?)
M40-44 - 213 finishers, 22 DNFs (234 starters, 3 spots)
M45-49 - 245 finishers, 29 DNFs (274 starters, 4 spots)
M50-54 - 216 finishers, 27 DNSs (243 starters, 4 spots)
Last edited by: tie3: Oct 3, 18 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if he was wearing an Alex Bicycles kit or was it a kit with Sangria related branding on it in Texas?
These guys look eerily similar to ones I had a rather good confrontation with in Texas.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.finisherpix.com/gallery/photos/en/usd/2330/339
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Surprise. He's also in that list someone compiled for IM Texas of the bike mat splits. Dude is on someone's wheel for practically the whole race. I know it's Texas but if they'll cheat there, they'll cheat anywhere. Also, some of his results are a little fishy. I'm not saying you can't take off 2 hours in a half, but that's pretty incredible if you ask me.

Truth!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: KaiserChief: Oct 3, 18 13:28
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chatt Slot Allocations [KaiserChief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he was running with his shirt like that I believe that's 1 cm too low and he should be DQ'd even without the bike drama.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply

Prev Next