Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Canada bike course [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what about wheels-sorry if i am changing topic! I have 808s or 404/disc?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it is nice to have the two good choices that you have.

I ride a 404 front and 808 back with a disc cover on it because that's what I have. I would seriuosly consider going with an 808 front with my disc covered back wheel if I had an 808 front.

while the course is usually a little windy, it is not real windy by prairie boy standards so handling an 808 front should not be a problem. (although in 2005 there were surprising strong side gusts that literally came out of nowhere on the descent from Yellow Lake which scared the hell out of lots of people (me included) and I think blew one lady off her bike). It has not been that bad since then.

Grant

Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
type-B wrote:
I'll be riding a 53/39 with a 12/27 this year. They've served me really well during training rides here in Oregon including some good climbs on Hwy 242 and Mary's Peak.

I split a 5:35 on a standard 53/39 and 12-25, and felt like it was pretty easy. The 2 big climbs just aren't that steep, and the only one that's kinda steep (McLean) is real short, and even that was barely more than an excuse to stand up and strech the back out anyway.

Mary's Peak and McKenzie Pass are both waaaay tougher than either Richter or YL.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [John E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what the vertical is.

I've done the race three times. The first two times, I used a 53/39 with a 12-25, and last year I used a 50/34 with a 12-25. My bike times were very uniform (~3 minutes variance) and I didn't notice a big difference using the compact. I took it really easy going up the two longer hills at Richter and Yellow Lake.

The less expensive alternative is to use a 12-27 and keep your existing crank on. My two cents.

Have a great race.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The average verticle from Gamin connect is about 4,800 to 4,900 ft
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cat wrote:
what about wheels-sorry if i am changing topic! I have 808s or 404/disc?

I rode 808/disc during UMC a couple weeks ago (90% overlap with IMC course) and I only weigh 135 lbs. It was a little puzzling to me that only one other competitor rode a disc. I did ask someone else about it why no one else was running a disc and she asked me if I wasn't afraid of getting blown around. When it got sketchy, I rode the bullhorns and not in aero though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No no no... just say NO to compacts. I rode a compact with a 12-25 and HATED IT (yes, with 2 snaps around the world). I spun out on all the seven sisters on the backside of Richter and had a miserable time doing too much climbing on that stretch (i.e.: lost all that downward momentum). I took the compacts off pretty much right after the race and sold them. I now run a 53/42 with 11-23 and wish I had had that set-up instead.

YMMV.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimmy d wrote:
The less expensive alternative is to use a 12-27 and keep your existing crank on.

I used this for the IMC course and it works well. I would have gone for an 11-27 but only Shimano make that range which is weird. It is also $425!

It would seem like the perfect cassette for a hilly course like IMC.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next