Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread
Quote | Reply
It seems like the last few threads on Muskoka, Tremblant and Texas here were helpful.

Aside from myself, guys like Maurice Mahar are experts on the IM Whistler course so hopefully we can answer all your questions, last moment panic and any logistics questions to get over there. It is also still open for registration so not too late to just dive in.

Personally I rank Whistler and Nice as the two most picturesque courses I have done and fantastic vacation experience for families. As we joked last year, Whistler has everything bigger and better than Tremblant. It's like Tremblant on EPO, Steroids, HGH and maybe some Floyd Landis Whiskey too. Perhap some of the local guys can also comment on the heat wave out west and water temps.....from what I recall, the hotter it gets in the mountains, the colder the lakes get due to snow run off. I'll try to post some pictures etc from last year. If Maurice sees this, he has 500% more intelligence on this course as I could give you since he runs a few camps there as well as having raced several times and coaching multiple athletes to Kona quals on this course.

Will also be interesting to see who shows up for the pro race. As the last race for the July KPR cut off, it might pull in some strong guys. Last year, Marino just lit up the course to get his KQ

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for starting this thread… I am sure it will be helpful, especially to those who are traveling from a distance.

I think I have a good handle on what the bike course will look like, but I am not so clear on the run profile. I train in the South East US, and training on what most would describe as "rolling". Any thoughts about the run course? I get mixed feedback. Some say not bad at all, and then some would say hilly. I recognize this is all relative depending on what you train on.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [goblin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goblin wrote:
Thanks so much for starting this thread… I am sure it will be helpful, especially to those who are traveling from a distance.

I think I have a good handle on what the bike course will look like, but I am not so clear on the run profile. I train in the South East US, and training on what most would describe as "rolling". Any thoughts about the run course? I get mixed feedback. Some say not bad at all, and then some would say hilly. I recognize this is all relative depending on what you train on.

The run is rolling. A fair, but not fast, course

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How were the road conditions last year for some of those speedy descents?

I've done the course a couple times, but only on the shoulder, which was a nightmare going down to pemberton.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honey wrote:
goblin wrote:

I think Honey is the ultimate expert on how to run the Whistler run course super fast. Listen to her, not to me. Honey....I need a last moment panic plan to run sub 4 in Whistler...can you help...I just ran 1:39 in Muskoka and 1:40 at Tremblant! Can you lend me your legs? It would really help if I don't get severely dehydrated on the climb home from Pemberton

On that note please remember if it is hot, the climb back from Pemberton, is slow and you generate a decent amount of heat. You don't have a ton of airflow going at 8-12 kph and the aid stations were not that close together. It "felt' like an hour of riding in the heat without liquids as I had run out. Honey, or Maurice can you confirm what the spacing was. If it is the same, you want to get well loaded up even though it is extra "weight".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll likely be doing Whistler in '16 so I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vancity wrote:
How were the road conditions last year for some of those speedy descents?

I've done the course a couple times, but only on the shoulder, which was a nightmare going down to pemberton.

I thought the roads were really good last year. Only somewhat "rough" spots were in the Pemberton Meadows. But nothing too bad. I never felt nervous on the descents due to the road. And nothing was ever bumpy or uncomfortable.

But take this with a grain of salt. I live int TX where we have nonstop chip seal and the roads are horrific. So your YMMV on what you consider good roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have never done it in the race so only in training. I thought the road on the descent into Pemberton was quite bad. However I was only riding on the shoulder so not sure if it's better in the middle of the road

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Honey wrote:
goblin wrote:

I think Honey is the ultimate expert on how to run the Whistler run course super fast. Listen to her, not to me. Honey....I need a last moment panic plan to run sub 4 in Whistler...can you help...I just ran 1:39 in Muskoka and 1:40 at Tremblant! Can you lend me your legs? It would really help if I don't get severely dehydrated on the climb home from Pemberton

On that note please remember if it is hot, the climb back from Pemberton, is slow and you generate a decent amount of heat. You don't have a ton of airflow going at 8-12 kph and the aid stations were not that close together. It "felt' like an hour of riding in the heat without liquids as I had run out. Honey, or Maurice can you confirm what the spacing was. If it is the same, you want to get well loaded up even though it is extra "weight".

As with any long course race, you need to be very careful of the pacing on the bike (duh). Can't remember the spacing of the aid stations, but yes, carry that extra bottle weight if it is hot (it was in 2014, but not in 2013 and my bike split was 18 minutes slower--maybe Dev has record of actual temp from last year) I was a little *surprised* that the Whistler run course erred on the harder side. IMO, a more difficult course than IMLP.

And somewhere about 6-8k from the finish on the run course, at about the 10-10:30 hour mark, a bear fell out of a tree. Flipped out the volunteers and a few racers but that's local color for you :)

Dev, you don't want my legs right now; or at least, my left achilles. Sidelined for a little longer. :)

leslie myers
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rj_tri wrote:
Have never done it in the race so only in training. I thought the road on the descent into Pemberton was quite bad. However I was only riding on the shoulder so not sure if it's better in the middle of the road

Yes, same here. Both times i was in a rain and wind storm, with not-so-nice traffic and brutal shoulder conditions.

I'm confident the middle of the road is much better
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rj_tri wrote:

It is amazing that the highway is closed for athletes on race day. In training I can see the shoulder sucking....on race day, it was clear sailing and actually there were no technical descents other than the single "descent" on the way back from Pemberton. On that one the final switchback kind of creeps up on you (it may be a decreasing radius turn , or maybe my Bonetrager 70mm rims were pulling me to the outside as I took it kind of aggressive and barely braked). Other than, that, everything else you can use the "Tony Martin/Kienle approved tuck" if you have the nerve.....my stupid ski bend bars get in the way of hanging my head in front of the aerobars LOL

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 6, 15 9:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't tell you how much I am looking forward the 'heat' of Whistler! After the sauna I have been training in over the last several months, humidity under 80% and temps in the 80s sound like a cold front. I may have to bring arm warmers and gila :)

I too could use some of the running 'honey'! BSLT I was a fairly broken man after BSLT a week ago

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, most of vancouver and whistler is dealing with smoky air from various forest fires at the moment.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2093016/multiple-fires-in-pemberton-explode-in-grow-overnight/

Multiple fires in Pemberton area explode in growth overnight

Last edited by: vancity: Jul 6, 15 9:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, this is becoming very nasty and no rain in the near forecast.

2 main fires in the Pemberton/Whistler area: one at Boulder Creek with a size of 12,000 Ha !!! and the other one at Elaho with a size of 20,000 Ha.

Both are 0% contained :(
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's how I feel after training in the Gainesville summer. I have had to use cycling gloves because it's so humid, you can't even hold your bars after a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Pemberton and am the volunteer director for IMC. We're looking forward to a good race this year. If you are coming up as a supporter this year, please consider volunteering!

The valley is smoky right now but those fires are FAR away from Pemberton/Whistler and don't pose an immediate threat. Forecast is calling for the winds to shift on Wednesday and this should alleviate some of the smoke.

As for the run course, personally I love the fact that it's rolling but it's by no means an easy course. There is lots of shade, some crushed gravel and very few spots where you'll get a long, sustained flat. Manage the first loop right, and you'll do just fine on the 2nd.

And when you're in Pemberton for a course recon, you'll never forgive yourself if you don't stop off at Mile One!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SMO wrote:

And when you're in Pemberton for a course recon, you'll never forgive yourself if you don't stop off at Mile One!

Second that!

leslie myers
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SMO wrote:
I live in Pemberton and am the volunteer director for IMC. We're looking forward to a good race this year. If you are coming up as a supporter this year, please consider volunteering!

The valley is smoky right now but those fires are FAR away from Pemberton/Whistler and don't pose an immediate threat. Forecast is calling for the winds to shift on Wednesday and this should alleviate some of the smoke.

As for the run course, personally I love the fact that it's rolling but it's by no means an easy course. There is lots of shade, some crushed gravel and very few spots where you'll get a long, sustained flat. Manage the first loop right, and you'll do just fine on the 2nd.

I have to say, the run course is one of the best (as long as no bears attack you, then again, a chase by a bear might be exactly what I need to run sub 4 hours)!!! Thanks for your work putting on this event. Whistler can't be an easy place to put on an event closing down a major highway!

By the way, will there be Red Bull on the run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One can of redbull in the T2 bag and one in the special needs bag, problem solved...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
That's how I feel after training in the Gainesville summer. I have had to use cycling gloves because it's so humid, you can't even hold your bars after a while.

You and jack will have a fun time in the "cold weather" in Canada.

I am waiting to see who has the fastest Tony Martin approved descent to Pemberton or down from Callaghan. Here is a link to my Garmin file from last year for anyone interested.

2200m vertical, max elevation 770m Callaghan Valley climb, Whistler elevation ~ 600m, max speed 76.9, min temp 15C, ave 25.9C, max 35C:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/554672517
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
55 degrees? Last time I saw that was probably early February.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fairly certain there is no Red Bull this year. Freeze some for your special needs, if that's your thing...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope the fires get under control, very sad to see that beautiful country burn like that. I will say though the thought of going to Tremblant as a back up doesnt seem that bad. I previewed Whistler 3 weeks ago and have done tremblant all 3 years, and there is no comparasion in difficulty. I would rather do an extra loop of 56 at Tremblant than the Whistler course!! Kinda kidding!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You had a great ride last year Dev. Did you feel like you were holding back on the power on the climb to the first turn around. It looks like a very "in control" ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, seeing those photos of the fires gave me some depressing flashbacks from being left standing in the water at IMLT 2014 -- hope the fires get sorted out soon.
Quote Reply

Prev Next