Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Canada Disc Wheel?
Quote | Reply
I've done 5 IMs, all with a disc wheel (Texas, Florida, Chattanooga). I have never been on the IM Canada course and I realize it's a lot hillier, not sure about wind? Anyway, I am a middle of the pack age grouper, no chance of qualifying, but obviously would like to do as well as possible. So, disc wheel or no? My concern would be more of instability from the wind than weight (I think). Advice?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [sully1971] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would advise against it. I did it last year (dnf heat stress on run) and you hit some really high speeds on long descents. If the wind picks up it could get a little scary. I almost got blown over the center line on a 50 mph descent. If I had been on a disc it may have been ugly. The couse is different than last year.

Jim Lukanich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No...I wouldn't do it. The down hills can be fast and curvy and you can't ever tell about the wind. There is some real climbing on that course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you will be fine on your disc if that's what you're comfortable riding, and that's what you've been training on. I haven't done Whistler before, but will be doing it this year and planning on using a disc wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the recorded race a couple of times and light bike and wheels definitely help. Andy Potts showed up with Cannondale Slice with light wheels and other pros showed up with disc wheels. Of course, Andy Potts did well and better. Watch some Youtube videos on the race and you will get the idea. I remember I watched the one with interviews with pro athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used a 808/disc combo on the Whistler course twice and intend on using it again this year. It is definitely faster but depends a bit on your comfortability. I bombed down Callaghan in 2017 at 55mph with a disc and I didn’t feel uncomfortable at all.

For reference I am 5’10 180 and expecting a sub 5hr bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d say if you are questioning it then I wouldn’t. The wind can be impactful on the descents and I wouldn’t want a worry in my mind

Some are incredibly confident and will have no issues and there will be plenty on a disc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. I'm surprised at the folks saying no. Done it twice on the two previous iterations, first year on a disc and last year on a 90 (because didn't have a disc at the time but certainly would have). Yes, are some fast descents but no crosswind issues. Most likely a tail wind coming back north from the turnaround.

ETA - Callaghan can have some speed, but it's a fairly wide two lane road with sweeping turns as opposed to winding turns. 99 Is just a huge flat out race track 4 lanes wide
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jul 1, 19 10:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't matter, the course is a bitch either way.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
I have used a 808/disc combo on the Whistler course twice and intend on using it again this year. It is definitely faster but depends a bit on your comfortability. I bombed down Callaghan in 2017 at 55mph with a disc and I didn’t feel uncomfortable at all.

For reference I am 5’10 180 and expecting a sub 5hr bike.

Have you ridden the new course? I see you rode about 5:40 last year ... is the new course faster?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh never actually looked at those results lol I never finished that bike. I was pacing for a 5:01 but with 12km to go an unmarked pothole cracked my rear disc and after waiting an hour for mechanical support I called it a day.

I expect the course to be a touch faster this year but as I was injured my watts were around 20W lower than normal that race so excited to give it another go this year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this -

randomtriguy wrote:
I’d say if you are questioning it then I wouldn’t. The wind can be impactful on the descents and I wouldn’t want a worry in my mind

Some are incredibly confident and will have no issues and there will be plenty on a disc
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i rode most of the course this weekend
will be interesting to see how times compare to last year. After turning right at the bottom of Calighan it is a fun mostly downhill ride to the turnaround. Still one of the most difficult and slow IM courses. Was sooooo hot last year that it made for a slower day also.

a sub 5 hr ride on last years course would have been impressive.

BGildenstern wrote:
Oh never actually looked at those results lol I never finished that bike. I was pacing for a 5:01 but with 12km to go an unmarked pothole cracked my rear disc and after waiting an hour for mechanical support I called it a day.

I expect the course to be a touch faster this year but as I was injured my watts were around 20W lower than normal that race so excited to give it another go this year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you think of the climb back toward Callaghan after the south turnaround? I have done the race the last two years but I'm not familiar with that segment coming back up toward Callaghan.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode the course on Thursday. I agree with most of the folks on here who say that unless you are quite comfortable with the disc, in all sorts of conditions, go with something else. I am confident and was spooked more than once on the highway section after the Callahan Climb. Lots of sneaker winds coming from the side of the road. Some were also generated from vehicle traffic, which I suspect will not be an issue on race day. That being said, I'll be using one for that day. Well, a Flo 30 with a cover.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

it is mostly uphill coming back towards callaghan - not steep, and not technical. It is nowhere near as hard as the part a bit further up the road between Callaghan and the light at function

jpk_phx wrote:
What did you think of the climb back toward Callaghan after the south turnaround? I have done the race the last two years but I'm not familiar with that segment coming back up toward Callaghan.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the input. I'm generally a low key, low anxiety guy, but I had 2 crashes last summer and just started riding a new bike this past 2 months with limited outdoor training due to the weather.

I'll probably go without the disc this time just to stay safe as I'm not planning on reaching the podium or a PR on a tough course. (and another crash would significantly alter my wife's perception of this hobby :) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a fact that a disc stabilizes the bike in wind, and that the front wheel is what reacts to cross wind, etc. If one has a an issue from wind, then a shallow front is the answer, not riding without the disc.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
It's a fact that a disc stabilizes the bike in wind, and that the front wheel is what reacts to cross wind, etc. If one has a an issue from wind, then a shallow front is the answer, not riding without the disc.

Jack

Reason prevails
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:

Jack

This^
I did e.g. Lanzarote with a disc.

The disc ban in Kona is to my point of view also only for traditional, not for rational reasons. Or maybe also for financial reasons, if the ratio would prevail, there would no rear spokewheels be sold anymore. Now the industry can, as long as people think a disc is bad in the wind, sell everyone a spoke rear wheel AND a disc. Another nice help for the industry are those tests (e.g. in "Tour") in the windtunnel. You can not test wheels in the windtunnel (rotational drag).
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
CPT Chaos wrote:

Jack

This^

The disc ban in Kona is to my point of view also only for traditional, not for rational reasons. Or maybe also for financial reasons, if the ratio would prevail, there would no rear spokewheels be sold anymore. Now the industry can, as long as people think a disc is bad in the wind, sell everyone a spoke rear wheel AND a disc. Another nice help for the industry are those tests (e.g. in "Tour") in the windtunnel. You can not test wheels in the windtunnel (rotational drag).

Have you ridden Kona? I am not trying to be a jerk, just I have only raced the Hawaii Half IM and I am trying to get a frame of reference. I rode 808s this year and the crosswinds wind puckered me up a few times. I am planning on riding the same 808s at IM Canada and was wondering how the two courses would compare wind wise.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [KMac5585] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KMac5585 wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
CPT Chaos wrote:

Jack

This^

Have you ridden Kona? I am not trying to be a jerk, just I have only raced the Hawaii Half IM and I am trying to get a frame of reference. I rode 808s this year and the crosswinds wind puckered me up a few times. I am planning on riding the same 808s at IM Canada and was wondering how the two courses would compare wind wise.

Yes I did IM Kona in 2017.
I would never ride a 808 on the front there: I rode a shallower front wheel, as in Lanzarote. A disc in the rear though is no problem (but forbidden in Kona, so I had an 808 on the rear there).
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Disc Wheel? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
I would never ride a 808 on the front there: I rode a shallower front wheel, as in Lanzarote. A disc in the rear though is no problem (but forbidden in Kona, so I had an 808 on the rear there).

Thanks!

Last year at Hawaii 70.3, I rode 404/808 and it was OK, but also not a very windy year. I got a little overzealous this year with 808/808 and it was a little windier too! I lived....but coming down from Hawi, I was wishing for a 404 front!

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but what do you think of 808 front/rear at IM Canada???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KMac5585 wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

Thanks!

Last year at Hawaii 70.3, I rode 404/808 and it was OK, but also not a very windy year. I got a little overzealous this year with 808/808 and it was a little windier too! I lived....but coming down from Hawi, I was wishing for a 404 front!

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but what do you think of 808 front/rear at IM Canada???

Sorry, I do not know IM Canada. But when heavy crosswinds are to be expected, I would choose a shallow front wheel.

When it becomes spooky with crosswinds it helps to stay in aeroposition and put weight on your extensions. I know it is easily said because you do not have your fingers on the brakes then and the first natural reaction would be to sit up and reduce speed.

Second thing is train a lot on the TT, and be happy when it storms such that you get the feeling of biking in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve spent the last 3 months in Florida and do a ton of training on the Whistler course and I can easily say the wind/crosswinds in Florida are significantly worse than I ever experienced in Whistler.
Quote Reply

Prev Next