Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:

As someone else said punchy for sure no major climbs but relentless up down 2-8 min hills.

Yes, that’s a course on which it will be very to get any rhythm going. Maybe from the Village north to the left turn back towards the lake, but otherwise as you say riders will be buzzing up and down the cassette all ride long.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [WaySub4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WaySub4 wrote:
Will be interesting to see how they try to manage the two races time wise. Last year it was pretty sketchy doing the 70.3 passing many of the IM competitors at twice their speed. Add in the congestion of 3 loops and I'm not sure I want to go back and race a 70.3 under those conditions.

Well said. I suppose the only hope is that participation drops.

Scott
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree; Whistler and Pemberton should have found a way to share the economics. That's not on us.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
hammonjj wrote:
WaySub4 wrote:
Will be interesting to see how they try to manage the two races time wise. Last year it was pretty sketchy doing the 70.3 passing many of the IM competitors at twice their speed. Add in the congestion of 3 loops and I'm not sure I want to go back and race a 70.3 under those conditions.

I think the real question will be how they handle drafting. With so many competitors on such a short coarse, it's going to be a nightmare keeping people at the required distance when passing much slower competitors on your second or third lap when they are a lap behind.

When the full and half athletes are all on the course together, i figure it's gonna be like a century ride. 99 is wide but my recollection is Alta Lake Road and Callaghan are just two laners

I don’t disagree, but I think this was a go or no race option. Ie I have no inside info, but if this is the course then I think the options were this or no race. (Personal opinion only)

Now it switches to course safety and fairness management that is RD “smo” job.

Based on her posts on here and my personal experience when she is RD I think she does and will do a pretty good job.

I’m giving her the benefit of doubt and signing up.

I wish her the best,

Maurice
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: spudone: Feb 1, 18 14:25
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
I've done 2 and 3 loop courses at other venues and they can work with the numbers Whistler is drawing right now. The thing those races had in common though, was very active course marshals. And they were not just looking for drafting, but also blocking.

Barcelona, which is flat and notorious for drafting, had officials everywhere on battery powered motorbikes that were nearly silent.

Whistler - I can't remember seeing an official on the course other than a mechanic. On a hilly course like this, if you don't go after people who are blocking, it'll result in frustrated riders making dangerous passes.

A couple of strong roadies on as course martials?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some weird KM markers on the map no? There are two 30km marks and two 100km marks?

How do we figure from this map and the turn directions how far up Callaghan you go?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't mean to be negative, but I just can't see the full continuing too much longer. It'll be cannibalized by the 70.3 like in St. George and CDA. A difficult course is not what the average Ironman participant is looking for and it could be mayhem on the course (similar to what I saw in CDA the last two times I did it 15' and 17'). I'd love to see it continue, so I can do it again, but the writing seems to be on the wall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
There are going to be challenges with the new configuration, just like there are challenges working with all bikes/roads/mountains/spectators interactions.

Athlete experience and safety will be our first priorities. I know that crowding is a concern, as are the turnaround points. We're working with our crew and traffic management team to make this as seamless and safe as possible.
It's still early days, so timelines are still being worked on (which impact course crowding).

Is it going to be hard? Yes. Harder than previous years? Depends on what you like.

Keep posting feedback/suggestions, as I take these into account as much as possible. I'll do my best to answer questions when I can.

Thanks. -Christine (RD)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wondering,
Out of T1 do you go left or right?

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right.
Course description on the bottom left of the map.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep up the great work. Pulling this off is really hard.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up a while ago without much consideration of the course at the time. I like to do a different IM every time to get a different experience so it is what it is. Now, since I'm not at all familiar with the course but going of the feedback so far, anyone have any thoughts on how this would compare to Wisconsin? I hear people talk about lots of shifting and a constant rollers. I did IMWI a few years ago, should I expect something similar on the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive done Wisconsin twice, well DNFd 2006....but did bike twice-:)

Whistler bike much harder. 8500ft of climbing with 3 grinds back to Whistler village from Callaghan being very tough. But the run is easier assuming WI still has that climb in campus that short, steep, but filled with fnas at least. Whistler run will be. Ore lonely but absolutely stunning. I mean, i cant give that justice. Its so beautiful

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thugbuster wrote:
Don't mean to be negative, but I just can't see the full continuing too much longer. It'll be cannibalized by the 70.3 like in St. George and CDA. A difficult course is not what the average Ironman participant is looking for and it could be mayhem on the course (similar to what I saw in CDA the last two times I did it 15' and 17'). I'd love to see it continue, so I can do it again, but the writing seems to be on the wall.

I did IM CDA '15, '16, '17 I'm not sure; maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see any mayhem.

I always think about the fact that the course is the same for everybody, and, a tough course (i.e., hilly) means the likelihood of drafting is lower.

Maybe I'm an eternal optimist.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [Longrunhome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the 140.6 at whistler 3x and the half once.

I realize it's more complicated with all the parties involved (BC, Pemberton, Whistler, WTC). But frankly the whole situation has taken what was one of the most beautiful bike (and challenging) bike courses in the IM circuit and completely shat on it.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that changing the course to be this way is a round about way for WTC to simply kill off the 140.6. Why they also opted to take the 70.3 bike course and turn it into what is proposed is beyond me. Perhaps some contractual line that says if they don't have X number of participants that they don't have to host the race?

I wonder why they just didn't take the 1/2 course from last year and make that a double loop for the full? The ridiculous out and back on Alta lake road is just asking for cycling accidents. Rough roads, multiple races, narrow/tight corners will be a mess. Especially having to do it multiple times.

Very bummed to see the race go this way. I highly doubt I will be returning again unless some sensible changes are made.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alta Lake road will be carnage i agree. I rode it on my road bike solo last summer and felt i was drifting on descents. Ive raced bikes a longtime. That "sensation" is normal. Off camber at speed etc. But good luck aero with what we know can be subpar handling skills amongst the masses.

If there are crashes every year at IMAZ on flat straight multiple loops lookout in Whistler

Yesterday i was like "hmmmm.....my kind of epic course..." but reviewing more detail i will give a pass 2018 to see what happens (duly noting right for last minute signup-:))

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, they changed the half course as well? Ahhhhh, bummer. I was reading this thread and just thinking about the full. Crap.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi
the half course looks great but...... 3 loops on that full course is unfortunate (I live in the area and have ridden those roads many times).

Any reason why the full racers cant do 2 loops of the half course? (any extra km needed could be gained by riding down towards Brandywine after Calighan). I think the 3 loop course will lead to the end of the full eventually.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I don’t think I’ve ever asked this question in 10 plus years of racing. Any consideration of a road bike on the full? Between potential crowds and terrain doesn’t look like a lot of aero opportunities.

I chose a road bike at Eacape from Alcatraz for similar reasons and didn’t regret it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree Alta Lake road will be a disaster. I have raced the full and the half in whistler and just getting from the swim start to alpine is scary as hell. Now your taking the full back through there 3 times? There is a reason that no one does this section during training.This course flat out sucks and IM knows it. I really hope they can act quickly and make changes. Using “spectator friendly” as one of the driving forces is silly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always aero. Always disc. Period.

But run a 36/52 up front 11/28 on back!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
I've done the 140.6 at whistler 3x and the half once.

I realize it's more complicated with all the parties involved (BC, Pemberton, Whistler, WTC). But frankly the whole situation has taken what was one of the most beautiful bike (and challenging) bike courses in the IM circuit and completely shat on it.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that changing the course to be this way is a round about way for WTC to simply kill off the 140.6. Why they also opted to take the 70.3 bike course and turn it into what is proposed is beyond me. Perhaps some contractual line that says if they don't have X number of participants that they don't have to host the race?

I wonder why they just didn't take the 1/2 course from last year and make that a double loop for the full? The ridiculous out and back on Alta lake road is just asking for cycling accidents. Rough roads, multiple races, narrow/tight corners will be a mess. Especially having to do it multiple times.

Very bummed to see the race go this way. I highly doubt I will be returning again unless some sensible changes are made.

Yeah, this kills it for me. I love the epic nature of a challenging single loop course. The original course was awesome. I have zero desire to ride a three loop 180k.

I understand the RD really had her hands tied with all the parties in play, it's just sad to see this race go from what it was (in Penticton) to something new, exciting and awesome, to this. I don't see the full lasting much longer.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2018 bike route? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm convinced they want it to die at this point. Notice how on the FB site they are promptly offering up transfer's. That's very unlike WTC.

I still don't understand why they didn't just double last year's half.
Quote Reply

Prev Next