Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM California - do or do not?
Quote | Reply
Two issues.

1. Injured right calcaneus tripping outside without shoes in the dark a couple of weeks back. Not a fracture, but contusion at base of calcaneus. Couldn't bear weight a day or so but has improved over time. Currently hurts a bit to walk most of the time. I'd say 2 out of 10. Running doesn't seem to particularly exacerbate.

2. Developed pain at base of 5th metatarsal over last few weeks. Peroneal brevis? Not 100% sure. Not sharp pain, but I can feel it walking and sometimes running. Might be related to biking.

So, two nagging sources of pain in right foot. Not severe. Not sure running makes it worse, but I have no idea what 26.2 miles would do. Swimming and biking are basically unaffected.

Just curious what others have done when faced with comparable relatively minor but persisting injuries going into a long distance event. I'm split on what to do: bail or give it a shot. I have a 3.5hr bike/45min run brick scheduled for tomorrow. Was going to see how foot did after that workout. But, I'm sure I won't be pain free.

Thanks in advance for chiming-in.
Quote Reply
Re: IM California - do or do not? [Vapor Trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vapor Trail wrote:
Two issues.

1. Injured right calcaneus tripping outside without shoes in the dark a couple of weeks back. Not a fracture, but contusion at base of calcaneus. Couldn't bear weight a day or so but has improved over time. Currently hurts a bit to walk most of the time. I'd say 2 out of 10. Running doesn't seem to particularly exacerbate.

2. Developed pain at base of 5th metatarsal over last few weeks. Peroneal brevis? Not 100% sure. Not sharp pain, but I can feel it walking and sometimes running. Might be related to biking.

So, two nagging sources of pain in right foot. Not severe. Not sure running makes it worse, but I have no idea what 26.2 miles would do. Swimming and biking are basically unaffected.

Just curious what others have done when faced with comparable relatively minor but persisting injuries going into a long distance event. I'm split on what to do: bail or give it a shot. I have a 3.5hr bike/45min run brick scheduled for tomorrow. Was going to see how foot did after that workout. But, I'm sure I won't be pain free.

What's your reason to race IM California (racing for a PB vs. just looking to finish and walking a marathon is acceptable)?

And your willingness to DNF?

And your willingness to risk causing a more serious injury that requires longer to heal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Playing through pain is a very personal choice.

I would evaluate it based on your expectations and whether the eventual outcomes could satisfy you.

Is this an "A" race? Are you going to be deeply disappointed if you don't PB? Is it your first race and you just want to finish (doesn't sound like this is the case).

If I had paid and knew I could swim and bike, I think I would take the chance because I love racing. But, I don't have a "never DNF" policy. If the pain seemed to be damaging in the run I would probably quit or walk.
Quote Reply
Re: IM California - do or do not? [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for comments. I'd call it my "A" race for the year. PB would be nice, but not a big deal. I think this course lends itself to a PB compared to my other IM experience in Santa Rosa. Enjoying the day and finishing in decent form is usually my goal.

Willingness to DNF -- maybe that's what I should focus on. Can I have enough common sense to call it a day if foot becomes an issue on run? If so, maybe it's worth a shot. Give it a go and play it smart on the run. Problem is, like I assume many other triathletes, not sure I can rely on common sense in the heat of the moment.

So annoying to have a year's worth of training come down to this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vapor Trail wrote:
Thanks for comments. I'd call it my "A" race for the year. PB would be nice, but not a big deal. I think this course lends itself to a PB compared to my other IM experience in Santa Rosa. Enjoying the day and finishing in decent form is usually my goal.
Willingness to DNF -- maybe that's what I should focus on. Can I have enough common sense to call it a day if foot becomes an issue on run? If so, maybe it's worth a shot. Give it a go and play it smart on the run. Problem is, like I assume many other triathletes, not sure I can rely on common sense in the heat of the moment.

So annoying to have a year's worth of training come down to this.

I am sorry you're in this predicament. I would be equally or more stressed out about it I'm sure.

Best advice I could give you is to totally pretend like it didn't happen until you're on the run. I think you'll know if it's time to call it. If you can't hold your normal gait, call it a day.

BTW, as another data point, I am left-handed, left-footed and I've had pain that moves around my left foot since I started seriously training about a year ago. Similar in pain level, maybe a 2 or 3 of 10. Hasn't ever turned into anything worse, yet. I roll it out as much as is practical and roll my ankle and leg and keep on training. Hope it works out. Let us know what you decide.
Last edited by: Matt J: Oct 15, 21 10:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raise your hand if you've never had some nagging little injury going into a race that ends up not affecting the race at all?

Only you can judge the severity of it, but if it were me (and it sorta is, have had a couple issues rendering my run training... suspect, so I am going onto the run knowing I will walk a bunch an def not have a PB here), if you are willing to DNF if it becomes an issue, this is almost the perfect course for it. 14 mile out and back, then two 6 out and backs. Plenty of opportunities to be honest.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 15, 21 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vapor Trail wrote:
Two issues.

I was in a similar situation for IMMD back in September so I can understand your dilemma. I finally got a diagnosis and finally got in to see a good podiatrist earlier this week and have PF and a bit of bursitis. At the time we didn't know what I had. A friend and doctor of PT wasn't sure what was causing my foot pain and thought I could still do the IM. But it didn't get better and I didn't have the run training for durability. I might have still done it as I was on the fence 10 days before the event. My elderly kitty got sick and that was what ultimately made me cancel. But in hindsight I'm glad I didn't race on it and make things worse.

I would ask your doctor or a professional first before making any final decisions. It's such a tough choice after training so hard for an IM and I really understand this predicament.

Since you don't have a fracture and don't have PF, you are in a better place than myself. I think if you can run w/o much pain a few days before your race, then you might have a good chance at doing your IM and not injuring yourself further.

Best of luck! I hope it works out for you. It really stinks not getting to a race after so much hard work.

ETA: I just looked at the date and since it's 10 days away, here's what I'd do if it was me. I would not run on it at all and let things calm down. I'd do my swim/bike workouts (if you think it's from the bike, then just swim) and see if I could get some PT in the meantime (but for me I don't have easy access to that). You have done the training and won't loose fitness in 10 days. And you won't gain fitness by what you run in the next 10 days. You might be fine for your race. Maybe ice it or soak it in warm epson salt or both to stimulate blood flow/healing.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Oct 15, 21 11:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those are frustrating situation but you need to remain objective and focus on what need to be done now.

There is no good reason to run tomorrow. It s time to do the right thing and that would be the leave the foot alone and not test it on a brick workout. Focus on what you can do to make the situation better. fitness is there... it s too late to gain anything. swim and bike and perhaps couple water run until race day.

go into the race with a open mind and see how it goes and if the foot hold up. but resiste the urge to test it...there is nothing to gain in doing this currently.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: IM California - do or do not? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only thinking for finishing the brick tomorrow was to hopefully see signs of improvement. But makes sense to let it go and rest up.

Excellent comments. Thanks everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: IM California - do or do not? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
those are frustrating situation but you need to remain objective and focus on what need to be done now.

There is no good reason to run tomorrow. It s time to do the right thing and that would be the leave the foot alone and not test it on a brick workout. Focus on what you can do to make the situation better. fitness is there... it s too late to gain anything. swim and bike and perhaps couple water run until race day.

go into the race with a open mind and see how it goes and if the foot hold up. but resiste the urge to test it...there is nothing to gain in doing this currently.

+1 on all this

Once you get to the run DBS (don’t be stupid)…yes, it’s more difficult in the heat of competition. Know if you are experiencing hurt or pain, and if it’s the former be willing to walk it in or dnf (better part of valor).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I would do it and see how it goes. With no more races for a while you have time to fully recover. If it gets really serious you'll know about it during the run and can stop. I've had a few races like that where I just walked it in, and I still enjoyed the day.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you run at all, make it in the pool, keep all the weight off as long as you can(6 hours into the race preferably)

Find someone that is good with taping, and tape the hell out of it. Maybe get some super cushy Hoka's to run in too. If it were me(and it often was me when racing back in the day) I would go super hard on the swim/bike, knowing at best you will be easing into a slower than normal run. You can burn physiological matches early, since you will be in more of a recovery run mode later. This is the plan to finish in a respectable time and place. You of course can start the run like nothing is wrong, and hope it stays that way for 26 miles, but we all know that won't be likely. If you go this route, just be ready to pull the plug early, once you know it is going to come right and there are many miles left to go...
Quote Reply