Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Build/Taper ?s
Quote | Reply
I'm going into my final build for Lake Placid (27 Jul). My long bikes have been 85-100 mile rides for the past month or so. Dropped down the run from high of 2.5 hrs in March to 1.5 hrs & plan to build back up to 2.5 hrs over next six weeks while maintaining bike & swim. There are a couple of events I'd like to do, but not sure if its advisable:

Double century on 22 June (six weeks out)- I'd use my roadbike, though I've switched over to the tribike for everything else. I've heard this kind of overmileage isn't necessary, but if it can't hurt I'll probably do it anyway (sounds like fun!). Is a double too risky? (I've been injury free with no "issues").

13 July "Climb to the Clouds" Century (two weeks out) This is a fun century, but definitely within the "taper window" Will it hurt my taper if I ride it easy?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Build/Taper ?s [MattinRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not very experienced, I have no medical expertise, and I've only done one IM. So who knows if I know I what I am talking about. I say that anything before your taper that is long is only going to make you mentally stronger and more confident, as long as it doesn't hurt you, go for the double. As far as the one two weeks out, I would personally not do it. Your body is going to be in the regeneration phase after all the hard training you've done, plus, it's not going to help you mentally or physically at that point. If you only care about finishing the IM and really want to do it, go for it, it's your personal decision. Personally, I put so much time and effort into training, I wanted to make sure I was going to do as well as possible.

Then again, 100 miles may be a piece of cake for you, and your a rock star, ultimately, you know yourself better than any of us. Good luck at Lake Placid, - Jack

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think either of the rides will hurt you for your IM as long as you don't race them. Do you have the discipline to just ride them for fun and training? Or will you get caught up in the heat of battle and try to stay with the racers? If you can't hold back, don't do them. If you can, no problem. Best wishes!

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt - I did a double century (160 of it in the pouring rain) 5 weeks before LP last year, in addition to a couple of 'easier' century rides w/in 8-10 weeks of LP. I felt fine in LP. I chose to do the double century on my tri bike though...it was nice to have the aero position for an 11+ hour ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Answer will depend on how experienced you are, and how fast you recover (to obtain the training effect of a double). I am a MOP and I need about three weeks to taper for IM if the last workout was long and intense, like a 5hr ride 1.30 - 2hr run brick at slightly above IM pace. Some of my friends who are more experienced dont enojy a long taper, also I found that my body type (more fast twitch than slow) responds better to a longer taper with shorter (distance) but faster workouts. Where as my wife and other slow twitch muscle friends prefer to go longer and they dont seem to do well with tapers that are too long, 2 weeks seems to work well for them. So it depends on experience, intensity and I think personal physical make up. I am also a little more convervative than most as I have experienced first hand the effects of over training and trying to race IM, it was not pretty. Best be a bit under trained than over is my rule.

As for double century, cant help there as I have never done one. But I second what another poster mentioned that the intensity level in which you ride it will determine your recovery.