Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Boulder 2018
Quote | Reply
Thinking about racing next year but am worried a bit about the altitude.
Also, does this race ever sell out? Would appreciate the pros and cons given by those who have done the race. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [bikecritic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing to add, but would also be interested in any advice. This will be my first full!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does not usually sell out.

The altitude is not a huge deal. Take it out easy on the swim - that's where you'll feel it the most. Power target on the bike should be about 8%-9% lower than normal. Also just target a slightly slower pace on the run - you'll be fine.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same concerns...lol. I could tell a difference at about 8200 feet, on the north rim of Grand Canyon .

I wonder what 5400 would do?

Without the elevation concerns, how is the race? Things to do for family etc?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
It does not usually sell out.

The altitude is not a huge deal. Take it out easy on the swim - that's where you'll feel it the most. Power target on the bike should be about 8%-9% lower than normal. Also just target a slightly slower pace on the run - you'll be fine.
If normally NP=200w, target NP=182-184w. Is it really suggested to go that much lower? That just surprises me.

To the OP, I also plan on racing this one. I've had two friends from the Dallas area (so not at altitude) race it, and both have said they didn't really feel the altitude. Mostly they felt it at the start of the swim. Both said the heat and dryness affected them much more.

I've also been told to get out there either 3 weeks before the event (not possible for most of us working stiffs), or immediately before the event. This reduces fatigue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced Boulder in 2016. Arrived almost a week early to avoid elevation sickness. Never did get sick. Being from Phoenix, I was able to train in Prescott, AZ on the weekends. Prescott is the same elevation as Boulder but am not confident the training made a difference. The bike course is nice and scenic and is used for both the full and half. The run was hot when running out in the open. But when you run next to the creek, under shade, it was nice. The run course had a ton of people cheering on the athletes which was nice and encouraging.

I enjoyed Boulder and raced the half this year. Great dining experiences, great people, and just an overall nice college community.

The only reason I am not racing the full again is because they moved it to June which is about six weeks after IMTX.
Last edited by: DesertTriGuy: Sep 27, 17 16:00
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to Joe Friel:

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/...bic-performance.html

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced it in 2015 and I'm thinking of racing it again in 2018. In 2015 I hated the swim. The walk-in down the boat ramp went way too quickly, it was narrow and crowded at the start, my goggles kept leaking (having never leaked before, of course), and the kayakers wore the same color vests as the buoys. So you'd be swimming along and suddenly realize you're sighting on a kayaker rather than a course buoy.

The bike leg I loved! Good course, good roads, beautiful views. I've raced Arizona, Canada, Los Cabos, Cozumel, Lake Placid, and Couer d'Alene, and Boulder was just awesome. I'd race it again just for that course.

And the run along Boulder Creek was a nose-to-tail crowded affair. And the park at the west end of the course was open and you'd have families carrying coolers across the run course as you're trying to race. It was kinda weird and kinda awesome.

My daughter is a student at CU Boulder, in fact in 2015 her apartment was 2 blocks from T1/T2 at Boulder HS. I've visited multiple times and never have had an issue with the altitude. I've ran along Boulder Creek many times, raced a 5K and a 10K in Boulder along with the IM. Never a problem.

In the spring of 2015 I raced "Tri the Boat" in Steamboat Springs which is higher, closer to 8000 feet. There I think I did have one altitude issue, in that the 83 degree day felt more like 95 to me. I raced Tri the Boat to see what altitude would do to me, and was worried about IM Boulder as a result. But again, no issues for me on race day.
Last edited by: BruceMorgan: Sep 27, 17 15:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Denver... you will find the swim feels the hardest of the three disciplines. The bike course is reasonably fast, thin air, decent roads. However, I think people are most surprised by the run in Boulder. It is on pretty much all concrete bike trails, and running "your speed" at altitude is hard. It doesn't sell out because the overall times are just not that fast, and hence people migrate to faster courses or lower altitude... at least that is my take on why sign up seems to have decreased yearly.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [jbinkc08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my first full in 2016, when the race was still in August.

If you are adequately prepared to do an Ironman, my experience is that elevation of 5400' will not be a problem. That said, I did go a week early (from Indiana) and hiked up to 13,600'+ to make sure I would be acclimated by race day. I noticed the elevation past 11,000', but not much below that. I did a couple easy runs and rides, and was fortunate enough to be able to swim a bit leading up to the race as well.

Generally, the event was well-produced, lots of great communication from the RD leading up to, during, and after the race, and a stunning location. My wife came along for the race, and my parents flew in for a few days too. Lots of breweries around, and tons of hiking from beginner level all the way to advanced.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is that this is a "high desert" environment, meaning the humidity is low, and the sun is more intense. Pay close attention to your hydration and be sure to plan for this kind of environment.

I found the run to be the most difficult, somewhat due to the nature of the Boulder Creek Path. At one end, there is a "swimming hole" for lack of a better term, and it was crowded with people who had no clue that a race was going on, and didn't care to stay clear of the path. At mile 20 of the marathon, I had completely run out of f*cks to give, and bowled through a couple people, so be prepared.

Other than that, a great venue, great organization, and a fun race. Enjoy! I want to come back and do Boulder again soon.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello

I'm about to register for IM 2018.
I'll fly from Detroit to Denver on Friday, ideally I'd stay to the lowest altitude possible, but where? I googled a bit, I don't seem to find anything below 1,400 meters within an hour drive. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [BruceMorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BruceMorgan wrote:
The bike leg I loved! Good course, good roads, beautiful views. I've raced Arizona, Canada, Los Cabos, Cozumel, Lake Placid, and Couer d'Alene, and Boulder was just awesome. I'd race it again just for that course.

That's a nice collection of IM venues! I'm a big fan of doing different courses. 12 IMs at 10 different locations so far.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [paolo.s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything within an hour or Boulder is going to be at least 1,400 M elevation, but really, why sweat that kind of elevation difference from Boulder anyway. You’re better off staying near the race and worrying less about the logistics.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [TomTriesTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d be way more concerned about lack of humidity and the sun then the altitude difference.

You can get torched and dehydrated very fast here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about the race selling out. The last 2 years they had less than 1,500 start. Last IM did a lot of TV and online promotions for this race and still got less than 1,400 starters. Think the warm temps, low humidity and sun is a bigger issue than the humidity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bikecritic wrote:
Thinking about racing next year but am worried a bit about the altitude.
Also, does this race ever sell out? Would appreciate the pros and cons given by those who have done the race. Thanks

most people worry the most about altitude and then suffer the most from dehydration

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [TomTriesTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to stay somewhere that cost a lot less, stay in Longmont. It's about a 15 min. drive to Boulder or less if in south Longmont. A lot of options right off of Hwy 119 with TONS of places to eat. Louisville isn't a bad option, but busier and more options in Longmont by far.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For anyone who's done this race before or is familiar with the area, where would be the best spot for RV camping pre race? Looking for something as close to T1 as possible for race morning convenience.

Does Boulder Reservoir has RV camping spots?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [BTEEZY28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTEEZY28 wrote:
For anyone who's done this race before or is familiar with the area, where would be the best spot for RV camping pre race? Looking for something as close to T1 as possible for race morning convenience.

You would have to call them regarding camping spots, but it's not uncommon for me to see RVs in the parking lot when I go to the res with my kids; I assume there's something either on site or nearby.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [oldtriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldtriman wrote:
Don't worry about the race selling out. The last 2 years they had less than 1,500 start. Last IM did a lot of TV and online promotions for this race and still got less than 1,400 starters. Think the warm temps, low humidity and sun is a bigger issue than the humidity.

Did you mean "altitude" in the second case? Serious question, not trying to be a jerk.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woops,sorry. Meant to say altitude
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 2018 [hammonjj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hammonjj wrote:
BTEEZY28 wrote:

You would have to call them regarding camping spots, but it's not uncommon for me to see RVs in the parking lot when I go to the res with my kids; I assume there's something either on site or nearby.

No, there aren't RV spots to park and camp out there. The REZ parking race day will be closed to all but emergency & race worker/volunteer/bus traffic. You will have to drive downtown to get on a bus, to come BACK to the REZ. Even if you lived near or had a hotel by the REZ, they will make you drop bags off at the high school & get on a bus. I suppose you could run across the highway and walk in the back way behind IBM to the REZ, but you still need to get bags/T1-2 and special needs over to the high school.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sells out every now and again, but you can usually enter within a month of the race date from what I have seen in the past.

As for altitude, I'm an advocate of training where you are, come a few days early, stay hydrated and race your plan.

Altitude could rob you of up to 10% of readily available oxygen in your bloodstream, however, if you're not racing for podiums or professional, it's not really necessary to fret or pour extra money and time into acclimating (unless you have time and money, then go for it!).

With some key tweaks, you can account for any altitude adjustments without putting you or your bank account out.

For swimming, there may be some small truth to taxing the lungs on the swim. Add in most people stress about the swim to begin with, and they tend to go hard out in the first 100 meters and burn up the lungs, you have a recipe for a difficult start. As a coach I developed a workout devoted to developing breathing techniques in the water than will help the average swimmer gain more confidence and swimming lung power.

Here's my original post on the altitude issue - https://www.facebook.com/...sts/1683882968300205

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if the RD is on ST...

It seems like there are a number of changes to the course. The bike course is now showing as starting AND ending at the reservoir, rather than ending at the high school. However, the website also says the last 6-8 miles are being worked out with the city. So maybe the ending location is still TBD.

There is also no run course listed, so it's unclear if it'll still be along Boulder Creek trail.

There might be no updated info to share, but I just wanted the course finalized before we booked accommodations. I was hoping to rent a house within walking distance of the run course, for family convenience. If anybody has info to share, great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rumors I have heard are that while they are still trying to work out the last 6 miles of the bike course to get to T2 at Boulder High, they are thinking now that T2 will likely be at the res. I think then the first 6 miles of the run will be on paths from the res to Boulder Creek, then the last 20 miles on the Creek trail.

Just speculating but those last 20 miles will probably be very similar to the old course. Turnarounds might be modified to get the right distance.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next