Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Az Volunteer/Spectator thanks
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to start a thread to give a HUGE thanks to all that volunteered and came out to watch the race. The volunteers were awesome and kept me going throughout the journey. The cheering spectators made everyone feel like the hometown hero! Some of the biggest memories I have of are the teenage boy at one of the bike turns dancing and cheering every time I passed by (he was a volunter in the middle of the road yellow shirt, crooked ball cap). It put a smile on my face every time. Mimi Stover (my GREAT host family) was up before the sun and got home well after the sun went down every day. She was the registration captain and then went out and helped with transition bags AND was at the awards banquet making sure we got our finishers certificates! All the aid stations did a reat job. I got chills and a big smile and some extra energy every time I heard Seaton calling out my name every time I entered his station zone (#4)...excellent job!

I know not all of them read this forum but if you know anyone who helped out or just cheered us on and made our day posible forward this post to them! They deserve a lot of credit for all they did!

THANKS TO ALL THAT MADE MY DAY POSSIBLE!

--

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Az Volunteer/Spectator thanks [115InTheShade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto here. I didn't do anything that was wrong but i feel i could have said more to the many spectators and volunteers that encouraged me all the way thru. oh well, monday morning quarterbacking. I'll do better next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The volunteers were absolutely great. Bless their cheerful hearts, I would like to thank each and every one personally. Standing out in the sun for all those hours? Labor of Love is really the only way to describe it.

I always feel like I haven't said thank you enough times during the race but please take it from me. . you volunteers are the best.

c
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking as a volunteer captain, Thank you. I felt very much appreciated by the athletes. I worked both the bike mount and dismount lines and I heard numerous thank you's throughout the day. More than the verbal acknowledgements, the overall vibe of the athletes was very positive despite the tough conditions. I was quite inspired by everyone who gave it their all in Tempe.

The volunteers are getting the hang of things and this year went much smoother than last. I know the race directors look at each race as a process of improvement and are already talking about ways to do even better next year.

If you have never had the privilege of volunteering at an Ironman, I strongly recommend it. There is something very satisfying about playing a small role in someone's big personal goal. Its really great seeing the person you helped hours earlier as they cross the finish line.

Gary Mc

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: IM Az Volunteer/Spectator thanks [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought that the volunteer support at this race was the best of any race I've done (including IMWIS, IMFL, and Ralph's). They were all very helpful throughout my 12 hour ordeal. The fans were terrific also. Thanks to all!!

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my first Ironman and i have to say that the volunteers and spectators were absolutley amazing. There is no way that i could have done this without them. My thanks to all of them. I know that their thank you banquet is today, whatever they get is not enough. Tehy were awesome. The spectators who were out there all day a very large thank you to you also. I was out there a long time and i kept seeing the same people out there cheering.

If i decide not to do the race next year i will definitly volunteer (besides Desert Dudette made us promise that we would if we do not race).

Again, THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And also the Desert Dude Mafia support crew that was staying with Brian. I can not believe how much energy they still had after being there all day. Good luck in Wisconsin ladies!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you to all the age groupers for not dunking me as I got stuck in a kayak in the middle of the mass start like jnielsen had suggested :). That was one of the coolest experiences and certainly made my weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to chime in and thank the volunteers.

I ran into some old friends at two separate aid stations, was inspired to go back into the military by one of the aid stations, and was brought back to life by the aid station at mile 8/16/24. Without them I know that I would have taken a short ride back to the finish instead of the long walk/shuffle.

I tried to do my best to thank them all, and hope that I did a decent job of it. The volunteers are absolutely the biggest piece of the pie that is Ironman. Thanks again to all who volunteered!

----------------------------------------------------

Formally azclydesdale, back in Northeast Ohio.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Az Volunteer/Spectator thanks [azclydesdale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys.

I was a volunteer at aid station #4 w/trisports. We had a lot of fun helping you guys (and I'm so glad we were in the shade). I got a lot of thank yous, and I was very inspired. My husband was a race official and said there was very little drafting - he only gave one penalty.

Well done, all!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Az Volunteer/Spectator thanks [WSL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys were all amazing out there, I'm so inspired and impressed! As part of the "Desert Dude Mafia Support Crew"...we had our work cut out for us on Sunday. After 22 hours of supporting, cheering, and running around like lunatics to make sure we cheered for everyone at the right time, I can safely say I got in a pretty good workout! It was no Ironman, but I'm saving that for Wisconsin.

Thanks to Brian for letting us crash (literally) at his triathlete hostel for the weekend. It was such a good time!

P.S. - if anyone needs a support crew for an upcoming IM - we're for hire!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I volunteered at the last aid station, I don't even know what # it was from 6pm to past midnight. It was awesome seeing my friends come through and of course there was only about 1 mile left from our spot to the finish.

To all of the IMAZ Ironmen and Ironwomen, congratulations!!!

ED

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am with BDD here - awesome and inspiring... and the workout that I skipped ...we never imagined how much it takes to cheer for 7 people at the same time on a three loop course and send updates to the remotely located coach... maps, watches, cell phones, proper cheering nutrition and fluids, cheering strategy meetings... ;-) Any time again for you guys and girls!!! I am proud of you - you did great, WSL aka WSUZ!!!

And yes, we need all the luck and support we can get for IMMoo... Now, eat all the chocolate I shouldn't be eating and recover well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all the racers for giving me a reason to help out out. I was on my bike delivering food and water to other volunteers and rode around and around the run course. I probably saw most of the age groupers at some point and am amazed at how many were actually smiling and in pretty good spirits. Way to go Ironpeople!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Az Volunteer/Spectator thanks [Christina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as Dorey from Denver is still offering her floor to me and Briantryintri in Wisconson I will be bringing my WSUZ'ing skills to help you and BDD out and try to do as good a job as you all did as the support crew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The volunteers and spectators were great. They stayed out there all day and it was a long hot day. Ariaona has a great venue in Tempe. Great site and great people. We enjoyed everything from Bike Week to ASU baseball. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was headed to Tempe to watch several Inland Inferno members race at Tempe, so I dropped Roch and Paul a line offering to help out. I've been a captain at Oceanside with Gary for almost every race there, so they said sure, come out and help.

Race morning started at 4:30AM with Gary and Carla setting up the bike exit chute, then athlete check in, for a while, before the frantic call for help at special needs drop off, before heading out to bike aid station one to help a new captain get everything set up. Around 10AM I got a call from a friend who was in charge of SAG and rode out to hop in his truck and help out there the rest of the day.

The bike course SAG was a blast helping out with quite a few flat tires and bringing in a few people who had too tough of a day in the heat. After bike cut off we grabbed a Gator and headed out to SAG the run course, covering the Eastern section till Rural Rd., and the occasional high speed trip to the other side of the bridge. We then spent the final 2 hours of the race encouraging people to walk with purpose to make the midnight cutoff.

Around 11:30 is when the toughest but most rewarding portion of the day started. We met up with racer #501, a Chicago Cop named Kevin. We knew he wouldn't make it unless he found some superhuman speed, so Steve walked with him for a bit to try and encourage him to run a bit. It wasn't to be, so we started following him around the course with Steve walking in the darkness and talking as they went. As we got to far side of transition a Tempe Motor Cop caught us to verify that Kevin was the last athlete and I said yes. He then asked if we were going to pull him off course in 20 minutes when the Midnight hour hit. I told him that we had no intention of pulling him off course and would just move up onto the sidewalks and make our way home. As Kevin and Steve walked their way around those last few miles with me chugging along slowly in the Gator behind them, we had two great moments as the people at the last two aid stations were waiting for us as they cleaned up, and cheered on Kevin as we came on home. We finally made the finish line at 12:45 to the cheers of a few site guys that were there tearing down the area. Kevin thanked us and shook our hands, and his buddy was there waiting with a truck to drive him home. We had been at if for 20 hours, but that didn't matter at all, it was fun to have helped this guy get to the finish line, even if it was 45 minutes past the cutoff and there wasn't anyone around to cheer him in. What a great day.

If you are in or near one of the Ironman cities and not racing, you have to volunteer, or better yet, become a captain and really help out, it's a blast.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely agree. I was very impressed with the number and quality of the support both from fans and volunteers. The City of Tempe turned out big for us and it was great. I had a hard time believing the energy level they all had.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Az Volunteer/Spectator thanks [Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang...Mike Reilly said at 11:56 that there was no one else out there...sorry I didn't know to stick around for this other guy.

I was cheering and volunteering and had a blast! Worked bike handling for the afternoon shift...we were a little tight on volunteers, but managed to get the job done without dropping any athletes (that I know of ;) ) and managed to keep putting the bikes away (that was the hard part...would rather have a bike headed straight for me at 20 mph than run the TA so many times!).

I think a full day of cheering/spectating/volunteering is almost as taxing at doing the race...but certainly just as rewarding! Loved the opportunity to be out there and a part of it...and fun to "pay back" for my prev. IM races.

Congrats to all who toed the line and thanks to all the other volunteers/spectators!!

bt (gold pompoms on the bridge for the run)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Az Volunteer/Spectator thanks [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I tried to get word relayed up to the finish line that we were still out there, but it didn't happen.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: IM Az Volunteer/Spectator thanks [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
bt (gold pompoms on the bridge for the run)
I remember those pompoms! Great cheering!

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com