Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My reading is that if in an AG there are 2 normal spots and 1 AWA slot, it would work like this:

Results and status
1. Bob AWA
2. Frank
3. Steve
4. Will
5. John AWA

If there are no rolldowns, Bob and Frank would get the two normal slots. John would get the AWA slot.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I meant both distances. I agree it makes racing more difficult. At Louisville in 2017 I turned myself inside out when a guy in my AG passed me half a mile to the finish and I beat him... But he started 90 seconds ahead of me so I was ahead the whole time.

I'm an advocate for the mass start for everyone that wants a podium or Kona slot. Rolling for everyone who wants the calmer swim experience.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In theory then, the race should attract awa who have a chance to KQ because they have an “extra” chance, and reciprocally discourage bubble dudes due to the likelihood of stiffer competition.

Of course, none of that might play out that way. But if a pesron is choosing a race that should be factor. It affects a very small % of participants. WTC knows what they are doing, lots of bubble people will see this as an opportunity to increase their chance by racing a lot and becoming awa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It says they are doing the 40 normal slots first then the 26 AWA ones. So, I think it will go to the 40 as normal, AWA or not, then the 26 will go the AWA that come next on the same split out, bypassing any non AWA in the rankings.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't that what I described?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep! Should have said I was agreeing with you...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
I honestly don’t know if fulls are, I think some halfs still do. Even still, you can’t start the same race at 2 different times, even if it’s as little at 10 minutes. Seconds separate some qualifiers.

Im not sure I’m following you exactly. IM Chattanooga, for example, is a rolling start. There’s no seeding per se. If you want to get started at the front of the swim you need to get in line early. So you may have two athletes in different age groups starting far apart.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, so perhaps I jumped the gun and over-reacted. Assuming the AWA start lane starts at the same time, it isn’t really an issue. I still don’t get how you give a Kona slot to someone who finishes behind another just because one is AWA and the other isn’t, but such is life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
Okay, so perhaps I jumped the gun and over-reacted. Assuming the AWA start lane starts at the same time, it isn’t really an issue. I still don’t get how you give a Kona slot to someone who finishes behind another just because one is AWA and the other isn’t, but such is life.

I was AWA a couple years ago just because I had done a couple HIMs and IM over 1.5 year period. No idea what it got me, if anything. Some bag tag and swim cap is all I recall. From what I remember, at IM Chattanooga, the rolling start moved quickly. They were able get people in the water pretty quickly. But my perspective is that of a MOP to slightly above MOP so I’m not concerned about the same things as somebody hoping to qualify for Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:

Not that I support this slot thing (I'll admit I like being AWA for races with cancelled swims, pays to not wait 2 hours) but I must add that this is not very different to XC, just cheaper.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So we all agree AWA is pretty much a “frequent flyer” program? I’ve got no issues with it. The Kona viewing party (Lou), priority rack position/bib number, and swag are all good I guess. I just don’t see how you give world championship slots away to people just because they’re “frequent flyers”. From someone on the Kona “bubble” it would suck to finish 4th in AG, just miss a slot, then watch a guy who finished 6th get one because he raced IRONMAN more last year. Then again I got an email today that I could buy a slot via auction (I’m aware this has always been a thing), or race 12 ironmans and get in, so why does this surprise me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is truly setup as others are saying then I would suggest to IM the AWA status needs to (at a minimum) be rolling like airline/hotel frequent flyer programs are. If you aren’t AWA this year.... maybe because you were hurt last year or didn’t have time to race due to life/work events..... you are F’ed. At least you could spend the first half of the year earning your status with some 70.3’s so by the time October comes around, you could be AWA.

I do think AWA needs to completely change but that’s a different conversation.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
I am still confused.
Let’s say there are 3 K spots. The 3rd one is a AWA. Does the 4th place person get a spot?
Does the next awa guy get a spot becasue the first awa got a regular spot?

If The second is the case, that should discourage folks on the bubble from choosing Louisville.

Excuse typos, not fact or grammar checking until Jan 2021.

It is not like everyone that is AWA is not Kona material. There would be many folks on the bubble that are AWA.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is true. If you're a bubble guy you can be AWA just by doing 1 race a year.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm. I did not race last year. Before that I was always awa but never thought about it at all except once I got to skip a big line at check in, which made me feel bad but I did anyway.
I just looked at the criteria, do you think you would be awa for Louisville by getting first or second at one 70.3?
I am racing once before the fall and am picking a fall IM.

Glad I did not sign up already for Louisville, just as easy to do Maryland. Was 51/49 for Louisville anyway just cuz I did Maryland before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to look but I think if you place in the top 5 in your AG (at least if it's a big AG) you will be bronze after 1 race - but not until next season so if you're not already AWA you're out of luck for Louisville this year if you want one of the bonus slots.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is why I just go for AWA Platinum... avoids all this mess.

RowToTri wrote:
I need to look but I think if you place in the top 5 in your AG (at least if it's a big AG) you will be bronze after 1 race - but not until next season so if you're not already AWA you're out of luck for Louisville this year if you want one of the bonus slots.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lifetime platinum? After you race 1,000,000 miles with Ironman?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How full was Louisville last year? I know that the swim was shortened and the weather was crappy. Do people think this will add a lot of extra competitors? As was mentioned earlier, the people on the bubble might come for the chance to qualify but there can't be a huge number of them.

I did IM Lou back in 2009 and it had a pretty big field and I enjoyed the race. Now that it is October is it wetsuit legal?
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was wetsuit legal in Oct 2015 when I did it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AWA Challenge - Louisville [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last 4 years it has been wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by DBF [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they’re trying this AWA thing at Louisville bc Louisville has had lots of history that has made it more traditionally an unpopular race. First, this was bc it was in August, and the heat was usually unbearable (two of the three races I did there, 2008-10, T2 temps were 94 degrees), and bc the water was warm, ppl couldn’t swim in wetsuits. Then, when it was moved to October, the weather has been cold and miserable. Participation is down, or at least not near capacity. They’re trying to attract racers again.

Bc Louisville may have lower numbers and not a traditional base of racers, AWA might as well try it here to test the concepts and refine. They’ll want the racer who already has events planned this year to add one more race (for $750!!) by dangling possible KQ’s and the usual trinkets and SWAG. As a late-season race, it’s not sold out, so this may give it a push. For a racer just outside KQ for 2019, this race could be the one to take a chance on, since the qualifiers will already be in Kona, and a few additional slots may open, based on the results of 2018 AWA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
If they want to reward them, give them something. Some stupid hat or shirt.

I just got my AWA keychain and a sticker in the mail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
The first in the water thing.... If you want to start first in the swim at Louisville or really anywhere that does the self-seeded start, just walk all the way up to the front of the line and start first. You do not need a special lane to do it. Just be prepared to be swum over if you do not belong there.

If you want to be one of the first in the swim line at IMLOU you have to get there around 4AM and claim your spot. The line get's very long as the morning gets later. So yeah, it's a big perk!
Quote Reply

Prev Next