Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [thurstysports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
November 28/29th- I have a feeling this is going to kill the participants from the USA considering it is right after Thanksgiving.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same as North American races kill it for us in the Southern hemisphere, when the champs are right in the middle of our winter. Swings and Roundabouts !!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious about the $19 million dollar economic impact.

Seems like a big influx for 5,000 athletes (and their families) over the course of a week.

If itā€™s close to true, then IM has every right to negotiate for free accommodations, road closures, zoning accommodations, etc.... their take is only a fraction of the local economyā€™s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
November 28/29th- I have a feeling this is going to kill the participants from the USA considering it is right after Thanksgiving.

Good! Then I don't have to work too hard to get my spot there!

I'm so hyped about this!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is awesome news. Taupo is a great spot and New Zealand rocks!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yanks will be in from a shock when they ride on the rough roads.

But agree NZ is beautiful.

Long way to travel for a half ironman.

Iā€™d suggest an Aussie 70.3. About 3 weeks out from the Taupo race would be a nice link.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't confirm but I was told a lot of the road was resurfaced. Maybe not as bad over a half but it sucks over 180km so someone may be able to chime in as I certainly hope so...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a long way to travel if you live in Australia or New Zealand!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:

It is going to be held the last weekend of November, 2020.

We have a rather famous (in NZ) bike race which is usually held that weekend, Cycle Challenge has agreed to move their dates 1 week, to the beginning of December. So 1 week apart which would make it worthwhile staying in Taupō an extra week. The race does 1 full lap around Lake Taupō.

There will not be a 70.3 in December.

The course has not been announced, however, it will not be the usual 70.3 'Broadlands' course. I'm not at liberty to say where it'll be but it is more 'sporting' than the usual course (on the bike).

It is very exciting for Taupō.

SB.

Out and back on first part of round Taupo ride? Thatā€™s pretty ā€˜sportingā€™
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:

Not me! Always wanted to go to New Zealand! This actually gets me excited to try and qualify for it!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just a thought is WA ironman usually the start of december

"kill 2 birds with 1 stone"

always wanted to visit NZ and have relatives in Perth ?

thats assumimng qualification !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Once-a-miler wrote:

Not me! Always wanted to go to New Zealand! This actually gets me excited to try and qualify for it!

Likewise. Unfortunately Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll be able to pull it off around the holiday. Looks beautiful down there. Oh well looks like Iā€™ll shoot for ITU worlds.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

This! New Zealand is probably my #1 destination for places I've never been.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Yanks will be in from a shock when they ride on the rough roads.

But agree NZ is beautiful.

Long way to travel for a half ironman.

Iā€™d suggest an Aussie 70.3. About 3 weeks out from the Taupo race would be a nice link.

When you visit the US, try doing IM Wisconsin, or ride any road in Indiana. We have our share of neglected tarmac!

But! thanks for the tip, I will be sure to run 25mm

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:

It is going to be held the last weekend of November, 2020.

We have a rather famous (in NZ) bike race which is usually held that weekend, Cycle Challenge has agreed to move their dates 1 week, to the beginning of December. So 1 week apart which would make it worthwhile staying in Taupō an extra week. The race does 1 full lap around Lake Taupō.

There will not be a 70.3 in December.

The course has not been announced, however, it will not be the usual 70.3 'Broadlands' course. I'm not at liberty to say where it'll be but it is more 'sporting' than the usual course (on the bike).

It is very exciting for Taupō.

SB.

That will be Thanksgiving weekend in the USA in 2020 as Thanksgiving is November 26th in 2020.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
US athlete here who did IMNZ this year and had heard and expected to be riding some pretty rough roads. I remember maybe one short stretch where I thought the road was in bad shape, and most of the rest seemed fine to me. Not totally smooth, but definitely not the terrible ride I was expecting. Absolutely loved the race and New Zealand in general.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also a US athlete, and IMNZ was my first Ironman in 2007. I was a total Tri novice, and this was back in the day of pump your tires up to the max allowed. Needless to say I had quite a rough day on the chip seal on the bike course ;)

I also had an aluminum bike

Emzee wrote:
US athlete here who did IMNZ this year and had heard and expected to be riding some pretty rough roads. I remember maybe one short stretch where I thought the road was in bad shape, and most of the rest seemed fine to me. Not totally smooth, but definitely not the terrible ride I was expecting. Absolutely loved the race and New Zealand in general.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:

Lame. That's the usual ST negativism for every 70.3 WC outside of the US. Meanwhile, I'm very interested and the FB buzz has already started in Tampa Bay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Do you know if the qualifying window will be extended two months to account for the later WC date? If they hold to 6 wks lead time then qualifying would extend into early Oct 2020.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similarly to the Comm Games this past April?

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then maybe race ITU worlds in 2020... back in šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Once-a-miler wrote:

Lame. That's the usual ST negativism for every 70.3 WC outside of the US. Meanwhile, I'm very interested and the FB buzz has already started in Tampa Bay.

Not being negative. Objectively, the date will impact US athletes and who chooses to take a slot. No one is complaining about Nice either. It has the highest slot take rate for any 70.3 WC slot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is Thansgiving week bad? I spent two Thanksgivings at IM Cozumel. It makes it easier for US athletes to travel at a time when many people are off work anyway. From my perspective it is fantastic timing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
also a US athlete, and IMNZ was my first Ironman in 2007. I was a total Tri novice, and this was back in the day of pump your tires up to the max allowed. Needless to say I had quite a rough day on the chip seal on the bike course ;)

Hah! This was exactly me in 2005. I have a distinct memory of really wanting to get off the bike after the first 56 mile lap.

Fat tires and low pressure FTW now.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Why is Thansgiving week bad? I spent two Thanksgivings at IM Cozumel. It makes it easier for US athletes to travel at a time when many people are off work anyway. From my perspective it is fantastic timing.

Agreed. Although it would bleed over into the next week so that would be a concern for people with families since kids would be back to school the day after the race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next