Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM 70.3 Washington Maple Valley 2021
Quote | Reply
This is my 2nd 70.3 race. Any tips for someone who is doing this race for the 1st time?
- Swim: Lake water visibility, sun position, landmark and sighting, water temp, ease of entry/exit, etc.?
- Bike: I know it is hilly, but how bad, anything else?
- Run: I know it is packed gravel, but can you run using street running shoes, etc.?
- Any tips?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Washington Maple Valley 2021 [Shawn F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran the course yesterday and the road/trail shoes was one of the things I was trying to test for myself. I think you can choose and be happy with either of them.

It's about 80/20 gravel/paved, and the gravel is 95%+ very hard pack. Only a few short sections were really loose, chunkier gravel. I think the choice is going to depend on how comfortable your gravel shoes are. If you have very comfortable gravel shoes, I'd go those. I think the people who choose gravel shoes are going to spend the majority of time thinking "I don't need to be in these."

On the flip side, if you go road, you're gonna be fine for basically all of it and will probably be happy you're in road shoes, but every so often you're going to get that one rock that just jabs up in your foot.

I'm leaning to my road shoes because my road shoes are slightly more comfortable to me than my trail shoes, but you're gonna see both on course and I don't think either option is wrong.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Washington Maple Valley 2021 [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks! Is run course shaded?

Any info on the lake? I am stressing the swim, the most. How are the waves, sun position, water clarity, temp, etc.?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shawn F wrote:

Any info on the lake? I am stressing the swim, the most. How are the waves, sun position, water clarity, temp, etc.?

I didn't even touch the water, but it was very calm when I was there. Very pleasant looking.
Here's a photo from Sunday: https://imgur.com/a/YPdS7b3

The run course is not fully shaded. I ran it late afternoon and had some good shade coverage, but ~~noonish, you're gonna be getting sun at points for sure. I'd call it mixed. It's a pretty classic "MUP with trees on the sides" sort of path. Lots of stuff like this:

https://imgur.com/a/0w3RUz9

That's about as shaded as it gets, and some areas are more open.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Last edited by: justinhorne: Sep 7, 21 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden the whole bike course twice, and parts more than that. My bike computer recorded 2400 or so feet of total elevation gain. There is a longish ( > 0.5 miles in length) climb out of the Green River Gorge but it's not terribly steep ( no more than 6%), and a few short rollers; this is in the first 14 miles. The next 21 miles is an out and back that is almost completely flat; every now and then I'd briefly see 1%. Some of the road on the initial southbound portion was chip-sealed for a few miles. My memory of miles 35 to about 45 (continuing to head north) is that there aren't any real hills, but a series of flat sections plus some more gradual upwards inclines. At about mile 45 the northbound road comes to a T intersection and you make a left onto a road that is very slightly downhill or flat for a few miles. At about mile 48 you make a sharp right and there is another series of hills that are steeper, but some are close enough together that you can get enough speed on the downhill to really help on the immediately following uphill.

Most of the roads on the course are lightly traveled enough (or have wide enough shoulders) that I don't think car traffic is a concern. Right at the beginning of the ride (on Witte Road) there has been some roadwork that should (based on some posts in the Facebook group for this race) be done in the next few days. Someone in that FB group also posted the course ride file from their Garmin. Very near the end (about mile 53-54) of the original turn-by-turn route instruction posted on the ironman site, it had you crossing state route 169 at a traffic light, turning left, riding a few hundred yards, then making another left and recrossing it again. Route 169 isn't a small local road - it's 2 lanes each way, at 40+ mph. Maybe there just isn't a better way to get back to Lake Wilderness park, but that short section did give me some pause.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim: When I swam the Lake Wilderness Tri here in June the water temp was a non-issue. Water vis not great but also not an issue. Landmarks and sighting will be to the race buoys. For WA 70.3, expect water temp to be warmer than air temp.
Run: I do most of my longer training runs on the course and have always taken my normal running shoes. Never a need for gravel or trail running shoes. It's hard packed gravel. Tons of tree cover that provided excellent shade even in June when the sun was higher in the sky and warmer.
Bike: Already answered by another poster.

Tips: It will be chilly on race morning. Remember that this is the first time the race is happening so no one can tell you how it's gone in the past. Expect air temp to be pleasantly cool and rain is always a possibility here that time of year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, that is a gorgeous looking course. Were it not that it's on the other side of the country.... Added to the bucket list.

OP, FWIW - that looks like the Eastern Trail, which is where I do the bulk of my outdoor long runs. I've never felt that I wanted anything more than my road shoes, particularly that they're worlds more comfortable than my off-road shoes.

Have a great race!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Washington Maple Valley 2021 [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisesposito wrote:
Very near the end (about mile 53-54) of the original turn-by-turn route instruction posted on the ironman site, it had you crossing state route 169 at a traffic light, turning left, riding a few hundred yards, then making another left and recrossing it again. Route 169 isn't a small local road - it's 2 lanes each way, at 40+ mph. Maybe there just isn't a better way to get back to Lake Wilderness park, but that short section did give me some pause.

My guess is they will just cone off the shoulder there, and have you travel the wrong way on the shoulder for that short stretch. It's more of an inconvenience for training.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Washington Maple Valley 2021 [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike_w wrote:
chrisesposito wrote:
Very near the end (about mile 53-54) of the original turn-by-turn route instruction posted on the ironman site, it had you crossing state route 169 at a traffic light, turning left, riding a few hundred yards, then making another left and recrossing it again. Route 169 isn't a small local road - it's 2 lanes each way, at 40+ mph. Maybe there just isn't a better way to get back to Lake Wilderness park, but that short section did give me some pause.

My guess is they will just cone off the shoulder there, and have you travel the wrong way on the shoulder for that short stretch. It's more of an inconvenience for training.

People are really over thinking this. The last portion of the bike course is the same route as a local Oly tri, but going the opposite way. Left turn onto shoulder of 169, and quick turn onto side street. Parallel 169, quick climb and right turn, and cross 169 at controlled intersection. Downhill to Witte Rd, and back to T2. Complete nothing burger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shawn F wrote:

Lake and run course not all that different from Victoria 70.3. Lakes out here are all fairly murky (it ain't CdA), but water quality is fine. Beach is on West side of Lake. Only sun issue may be finding the first turn buoy. After that, no issue.

Run is packed terrain. Enjoy it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to live out there, growing up, and still get out that way every so often.

The swim: I've done several swims in Lake Wilderness. Water temps with a sleeveless wetsuit have never been a problem. Visibility in the water is good -- this lake is clearer than average for the area. You'll see a lot of trees on the bottom of the lake on the second stretch, but they're all deep enough to just make it a bit eerie, but no issue of contact. 7:00 am start? Sun won't be above the horizon, and there are a lot of trees around (plus a good ridge on the east side of the lake), so sun shouldn't be a problem.

The ride: Nothing in the way of long climbs, but plenty of little up-and-down that can break up your rhythm. But also plenty of long relatively flat sections to just settle in for a while. Road surfaces will vary from chip seal to smooth tarmac.

The run: Jeez... Talk about a boring run course. All MUP. The only real interruption to flat will be getting in/out of the park at the start/finish. Surface will be plenty smooth for road shoes. You're along a river for good portions of the course, which provides some scenic diversion, if that helps you, but there won't be much room for spectators -- you're gonna feel very alone on a lot of that course.

Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for all the info and tips!

The course will not race itself, so I better gear up mentally and take in on!

Hope to see some of you out there.

Shawn

P.S. Looks like the water temp is dipping into wetsuit legal area, which is nice. I just hope that it doesn't rain that day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTC email this morning mentions mask mandate from King County and how they will comply. Nothing about the new state mandate for masks for outdoor events of more than 500 people. It is new. In effect starting TODAY (Monday 9/13). I wonder what WTC will do?

I plan to be there. I live in the area but have never been to Lake Wilderness and can't comment on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We haven't had any significant rain in months. This upcoming weekend Fri-Sun heavy rain, wind gusts, and thunderstorms are forecasted.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Washington Maple Valley 2021 [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am so worried about the weather being cold, wet and windy! Any tips anyone?

P.S. I am coming form the Texas warm and humid weather! :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Temps will be high 50s low 60s. A windproof jacket on the bike should be sufficient.

I'm more worried about debris falling on the bike course, and slippery roads. And of course swim being cancelled if there are thunderstorms.

Other than 4-5 100 degree days back in July this summer has been pretty awesome. Temps in the 80s and very very little rain. Not much forest fire smoke this year either. And of course weather turns to shit two days before the race.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Sep 15, 21 7:29
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Washington Maple Valley 2021 [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For locals that train / live here year round yes a rain / windproof jacket should be fine (I would also recommend gloves) but coming from Texas, it is gonna be miserable in my opinion. We have had pretty good weather all summer and no storms really to speak of so with the wind / rain that is forecast the roads are going to be covered in debris, from broken branches etc. As the rural roads here that this course is on have trees right up to the edge and often even hanging over the road, I expect A LOT of punctures along the bike course with a lot of miserable athletes with frozen fingers trying to change them. I don't remember if Mid September was when this race was originally scheduled and I was recovering for surgery anyway but would not have signed up for this race 15 miles from my house on this date for this very reason, it needs to be in July or August.

I hope everyone has a good safe race and my frozen fingers and flat tires prediction is wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
W got here yesterday and wanted to practice in the lake, but they had put some kind of chemical (Sodium Carbonate Proxyhydrate) in it and had sign not to swim for at least a day!

The IM village is almost ready. The lake looks gorgeous with a very clear water (with chemicals). ;) The water was not really that cold, so that calmed down my anxiety.

Hope to see some of you guys out there Sunday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at aviation forecasts. There will be some wind through Sunday. But the windstorm will pick up this afternoon and run its course overnight into Saturday morning. That gives the race the entire day of Saturday to sweep the bike course for debris. Sunday will probably be 10 knot winds and light drizzly rain. Temps high 50s early 60s. From experience riding in those conditions is good for 1-2 hours without any particular gear, just a tri kit, and then you get so cold you just want to get indoors.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Washington Maple Valley 2021 [jhouckwsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'd do a windblock / breathable jacket, gloves + handwarmers (the air activated kind) in the gloves, thin wool socks (wool still insulates even when wet), a thin beanie in the helmet, and tights over my bike shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Washington Maple Valley 2021 [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably too late to work on this, but I think the course could really reward bike handling skills. Pretty much everyone of my rides encompass some part of this course, and I think there is a lot of time to be made up if you can stay aero and carry speed around some of the turns.
There are a lot of downhills and turns that you will want to go to the base bar on or brake when you might not need to. One of the downhills probably took me a good 5 or 6 times to get the nerve to stay tucked the whole time, but once I did, I was amazed how much time I pulled on my friend who did not.
Of course in a race, in the rain is probably not the time to work on this.
Good luck to everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Washington Maple Valley 2021 [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh geez... rain... Effffff....

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is definitely going to be a solid type 2 fun sort of race. Swim might be the driest, warmest part.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Washington Maple Valley 2021 [jhouckwsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm local, not doing the race. However, I ran a half marathon this morning, and I was honestly hot the whole time. I would have appreciated a little rain. The temperatures tomorrow are supposed to be in the high 50s and low 60s. A stowable waterproof jacket for the bike and warm gloves definitely makes sense. For the run, I would wear a brimmed hat and just a tri suit or shorts and tank top. Honestly, I think the temperatures will be a little on the warm side if anything, and since it's so warm, I don't think rain will be too much of a problem. The wind is the only X factor.

Good luck to everyone competing! I'm thinking of coming out to cheer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next