Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM 70.3 North Carolina Swim
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anyone has experience with this swim. I'm expecting it to be wetsuit legal and it's in salt water with the incoming tide. Just how fast is this swim based on those variables?
Last edited by: mwanner13: Aug 28, 19 8:17
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 North Carolina Swim [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's fast. Yes it's going to be wetsuit legal.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 North Carolina Swim [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I'm really hoping to go sub 5 on this one.

B_Doughtie wrote:
It's fast. Yes it's going to be wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the time I did the race (2012), it was a 1.2 mile PR by 9 minutes. Now it is still my fastest 1.2 mile swim but only by 7 minutes.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has experience with this swim. I'm expecting it to be wetsuit legal and it's in salt water with the incoming tide. Just how fast is this swim based on those variables?

Unless you're comparing to something like Chatty or Augusta, I'd subtract about 20 percent of your typical time in fresh water with no current. At least for most years, including this year.

Going forward, you could end up in a slow year (my first B2B was a slow year, and I still haven't had a faster 1.2 mile swim split anywhere else) and it's just barely faster, or a REALLY fast year that cuts your time by 30 percent.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 North Carolina Swim [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my athletes still uses this race as his PR marker.....I cringe and give him shit for it cus it was of course the fastest swim + no wind 3 years ago. Like it was the craziest calmest conditions and people totally crushed their races.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
One of my athletes still uses this race as his PR marker.....I cringe and give him shit for it cus it was of course the fastest swim + no wind 3 years ago. Like it was the craziest calmest conditions and people totally crushed their races.

3 years ago was 2016 and there is not a single soul who did that race, either the full or the half, that will tell you there was no wind.........

Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 North Carolina Swim [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

3 years ago was 2016 and there is not a single soul who did that race, either the full or the half, that will tell you there was no wind.........

Oh wait that was the year that everyone's IM was a huge PR right with what a 50 mile bike leg because of the hurricane damage right?!?!

2017 then was the year that was "calm" and no wind then.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
56 mile bike for both the full & half

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do the tides look like this year?

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 North Carolina Swim [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmkizer wrote:
What do the tides look like this year?

Hey Janyne,

I've posted it other places but I'll share with the rest of the class here...

Low at 6:06 AM, high at 11:58 AM... rise is from 0.8 to 4.3 feet so that will work out to a moderate push, getting better for the last starters.

It'll probably be faster than you'll swim at any other venue, but it won't be like the "waterslide" years of B2B (2008/2009/2011)
Quote Reply