Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George
Quote | Reply
Any updates on this race happening on May 1?

Getting closer to that 45 day window or does that matter anymore.

St George has Worlds 70.3 in Sep also and a 6 race comittment from IM through 2025.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When it gets closer to 20d or more likely 15d away from the race is when I'd expect a decision.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow short notice.

Interesting, Wondering if the time frame for Worlds
will have to be sooner.

Hopefully Challenge Miami goes smooth for all the International competitors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll put money on it happening. My insight is based on the hyper local election results map that NYT put out a few weeks ago.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like there’s some optimism for it happening, which likely means if they do cancel it’ll be a last minute call.

Really curious how they plan to handle the bus situation on race morning though. I did a small race in September that you had to bus to the start...one per seat, every other row, all windows open and masks required...hard to imagine them getting enough busses to try to spread people out like that, but also don’t know if they capped the number of people signed up.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [cp10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if they handled the bus situation by saying, two to a seat, every seat, wear a mask if you want or perhaps requiring masks? Would that bother you? Do you think a majority of the racers would be bothered? Nobody is required to ride the buses to the beginning, but it sure is a lot easier. Perhaps they can figure out a way to make drop offs easier.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Would it bother people??" That would depend on if people believe that it's the 6 feet that is important or if it's the mask that is important. Is it one or the other or both?
I did a local 70.3 in Indiana last year (~600 people). Everyone wore masks to the swim start and then in transition after the race. Everyone seemed comfortable with the precautions.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a perfect comparison, but as a datapoint, I was in Utah last week skiing at multiple resorts. There were predictable protocols, but I would characterize the general approach to covid as less restrictive to what I have seen on the East Coast. If they are going to let hundreds of skiers line up for the Collins Lift to open at Alta an hour ahead of time, I don’t see why you couldn’t have a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The triathlon community needs to start making access to information requests to the various local, state/provincial governments or agencies that need to sigh off to make Ironman events happen. If they were told its not happening 120 days out and not to ask again, but wait until 14-21 days to tell racers ....

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
What if they handled the bus situation by saying, two to a seat, every seat, wear a mask if you want or perhaps requiring masks? Would that bother you? Do you think a majority of the racers would be bothered? Nobody is required to ride the buses to the beginning, but it sure is a lot easier. Perhaps they can figure out a way to make drop offs easier.

It really doesn't matter if it would bother any of us. We don't get to make the rules here. IM has to follow state and local requirements for safety protocol. Restrictions on the race course/venue are probably a LOT different than what will be for loading up on a bus for distancing/masking. For the May race I can see that there will need to be a modified plan for buses and drop-off traffic. Even if there are less restrictions, some athletes will still be weary of riding a full bus to the start. After racing Tempe 70.3 last October, I'm confident IM will make it as safe as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying partially to you, partially in general.

For Tempe last year, logistics seemed way easier to manage covid protocols - everything centrally located, no buses, etc. Was there anything that stood out to you that IM did / didn't do an especially good job with?

And more generally, what is the general feeling around the race? I hate looking to Facebook groups for opinions, and it seems like folks there are thrilled that the Utah mask mandate may be lifted start of April (4/10). That said, this article says that masks will still be required for schools and large gatherings. I'm relieved by that but not sure what this means for Ironman. Seeing as we're less than 2 months out, I'm realizing I need to book accommodations and plan for travel if this is happening!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swim13 wrote:
Replying partially to you, partially in general.

For Tempe last year, logistics seemed way easier to manage covid protocols - everything centrally located, no buses, etc. Was there anything that stood out to you that IM did / didn't do an especially good job with?

They were vigilant and holding everyone at the venue accountable-from what I saw. Constant reminders about masks, a flow to PRE-race processes that maintained distancing.

Yes, that venue was easier to manage, but I am confident that they will do the same for multiple venues and bussing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, not going to do St. George in May. Vaccines aren’t going to be available for my age group until April or May in California. I am willing to wait until 2022 if it means my risk for getting COVID drops. They just allowed football in California. Multiple teams cancelled games due to COVID outbreaks. I hope that Ironman allows people like me who are in high risk groups and don’t have vaccine the opportunity to defer to 2022. Be safe!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m racing and have been receiving their e-mail updates. Being in AZ where we are pretty much back open and knowing Utah, I think it’s almost a certainty the race happens.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [riverdaledad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riverdalead, how did you get Ironman to push your event out? I haven't got my vaccine, and most likely won't have until the summer. Are you just gonna take the loss of the registration fees?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Utah is probably going to have removed all restrictions by may 1st. This race is probably happening. What will be interesting is if there will be any covid protocol at all, and if so do people follow it?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the update email they sent two days ago they outlined that masks will be required at all race venues up to the start, scheduled check in and bike drop times, virtual briefings. I would think they’ll implement their safe return to racing protocols regardless of what the state is doing for at least these Spring races...I thought individual businesses could still enforce mask wearing, but that’s just an assumption.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [cp10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thought is that they are going to do whatever it takes to have the Half Ironman in May. That way they will have a trial run of the some of the logistics that they will have to use for the 70.3WC.

...or maybe that is a hope because I am registered for the Half Ironman in May at St George. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Utah is probably going to have removed all restrictions by may 1st. This race is probably happening. What will be interesting is if there will be any covid protocol at all, and if so do people follow it?

They have a protocol they used here at Tempe 70.3 and at IMFL. It worked great.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 N America Championship-St. George [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All accommodations booked and optimism is high.. mostly from people posting in this thread. Throwing this in here for a bump hoping someone here confirms the fate before I see it in an email 1 week out :D. Anyone email the county directly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. George just erected a huge ironman statue in the roundabout downtown. The race is going to happen unless ironman pulls out.
Quote Reply