Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but...
Quote | Reply
HITS palms springs 70.3 / 140.6 still on, and one month earlier. (Same place). So these cancellations showing it's less of a covid19 issue, more of IronBrand debt issues .
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
little easier to spread out 50 participants compared to 2,500.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
little easier to spread out 50 participants compared to 2,500.

This. Also, getting enough volunteers to support 2,500 racers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s a numbers issue. California is only allowing a certain number of people at non-essential large gatherings (I think it’s 250, someone can correct me if I’m wrong). Ironman races are several multiples beyond that number. HITS doesn’t have that problem.

Where they might run into a problem is if a lot of the IM folks decide to do the HITS race. I hope HITS is paying attention to this because I think that 250 number (or whatever it is) counts everyone involved - athletes, employees, volunteers, spectators, etc. Once again, someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [aminthepm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. Also, getting enough volunteers to support 2,500 racers. //

Well if history tells us anything, HITS won't have problem with the volunteers. And yes, their races are always social distanced and probably fall under CA guidelines for numbers in a gathering..
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there something wrong with these HITS races (race direction, course, athlete treatment, etc.)? Feels like the subtext on a lot of posts I've read suggest some issues - I haven't raced one though so have no first hand experience.

As an LA guy I love the idea of racing somewhat local, so am curious....

-------
Anders
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [AMC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tons of threads of these races over the years. If the race is close to you and happens to fit with your schedule, then go for it. they are super cheap if you enter early, so a nice hard training day if you go in with low expectations...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70.3 Cozumel is really going to let it fly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right on, sounds like just what the dr ordered. Cheers

-------
Anders
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
Cozumel is a licensed event also, no idea if that makes a difference. Apparently it does give ironman the ability to screw over pros but that's another story...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [AMC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMC wrote:
Is there something wrong with these HITS races (race direction, course, athlete treatment, etc.)? Feels like the subtext on a lot of posts I've read suggest some issues - I haven't raced one though so have no first hand experience.

The subtext is a result of M-Dot snobbery.

They are low budget,poorly attended events without all the bells and whistles that people seem to need to make a "race" worthwhile.There is also no "You are an Ironman!" at the finishline so many think the effort isn't worth it.I love small events like these from time to time as they can be a lot more social and community connected.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And what is that other story...?

(signed, another pro who's apparently out of the loop and not sure what you're talking about)
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HITS can often not have enough volunteers, aid stations, poorly marked courses, and so on. So you often get what you pay for.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
HITS can often not have enough volunteers, aid stations, poorly marked courses, and so on. So you often get what you pay for.

Yep,sounds like most trail races that people love so much and rave about after they have finished .There is nothing wrong with not having an army of volunteers and all the trimmings as long as you know about it,are prepared for it and turn up with for the adventure.Not every event has to be "A show".
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I was lucky to do a race like that in 2014. It's called Norseman.

I got about 10,000 times more than I paid for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
vanchize wrote:

Cozumel is a licensed event also, no idea if that makes a difference. Apparently it does give ironman the ability to screw over pros but that's another story...

Interested in how they are screwing pros?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
vanchize wrote:

With the caveat that I'm signed up for Cozumel anyways, which may make me part of the problem, it just feels like pros' desperation to race is being taken advantage of.

All pros received an email from Andrew Messick and Ironman on June 30th. Part of it was this paragraph:
Quote:
We will flex prize money, slot allocation, and depth of payment to the size of the pro field. We intend to dynamically flex the total prize purse, depth of payment and qualifying slots to the number of pro athletes who start a race. This means that in some cases we will not know the total prize purse until race weekend. This will maximize the likelihood that athletes are able to earn a check and potential world championship slots. In the same manner, the basic minimum allocation of world championship slots will apply, with additional slots added proportionately for every X number of athletes that come to race.

There is a document Ironman is updating with prize money and distribution for races that are going, and sometime in the past 4 or 5 days, they added Cozumel 70.3 with a $15,000 purse in the traditional distribution (5 deep from $3000 to $500). Knowing there will be a number of Americans and Canadians traveling to this race, along with I would guess, some of the usual racers, I was pretty disappointed to see such a small purse. But more than that, setting the purse 3 weeks out before there is a final start list seemed to be in direct disagreement with the statement from Messick. I reached out to Ironman and after a little confusion, was told that as the race was licensed, and not run by Ironman, they had no control over the prize money and it would stay at $15,000.

I won't get into the discussion of the financial troubles race direction is or will be encountering or the feasibility of professional triathlon in the first place here. It just feels insulting to receive that email and then be told 'sorry not this time'. This is the first real chance for any western hemisphere pros to race and a packed field will be fighting over a few checks just big enough to cover travel fees.

Now the last thing I've received from them is:
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. I have passed it along and if anything were to change regarding the prize purse, it would be found on the website.

So maybe there is a chance they put up some of their own money in addition to the set purse, but I won't be holding my breath. And here I am going anyways.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Sep 10, 20 20:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Tons of threads of these races over the years. If the race is close to you and happens to fit with your schedule, then go for it. they are super cheap if you enter early, so a nice hard training day if you go in with low expectations...

Have t say I’m a bit shocked that HITS PS still exists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
AMC wrote:

The subtext is a result of M-Dot snobbery.

They are low budget,poorly attended events without all the bells and whistles that people seem to need to make a "race" worthwhile.There is also no "You are an Ironman!" at the finishline so many think the effort isn't worth it.I love small events like these from time to time as they can be a lot more social and community connected.

There’s quite a lot more than that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Yep,sounds like most trail races that people love so much and rave about after they have finished .There is nothing wrong with not having an army of volunteers and all the trimmings as long as you know about it,are prepared for it and turn up with for the adventure.Not every event has to be "A show".

Or rules enforcement. #draftfest. #coursecutters
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Or rules enforcement. #draftfest.

Thought #draftfest was an IM slogan. Never seen that level of blatant cheating in any local race. Every 70.3 and IM event is just packs of riders sitting on the hoods of their $7k bike sucking wheel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Hahahaha..You act like HIIT's events are the only ones where that happens..Ironman races around the world are famous for drafters and cheaters..Hell the Marathon Investigations guy has made a career out of finding cheaters at some of the worlds most prestigious races.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 La Quinta just canceled, but... [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Or rules enforcement. #draftfest.

Thought #draftfest was an IM slogan. Never seen that level of blatant cheating in any local race. Every 70.3 and IM event is just packs of riders sitting on the hoods of their $7k bike sucking wheel

The one time I did HITs PS it was worse than any of the 5 IMs or 10 plus Halfs I’ve done. RD at the time couldn’t give a shit that people in the podium had cut the run course, which I reported. Of my halfs about 1/2 have been independents

And it’s not exactly cheap at $250. But hey give it a shot. You May like it
Last edited by: ChrisM: Sep 11, 20 9:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Or being chased by stray dogs while running their loopy course. Good times.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
vanchize wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
vanchize wrote:

With the caveat that I'm signed up for Cozumel anyways, which may make me part of the problem, it just feels like pros' desperation to race is being taken advantage of.

All pros received an email from Andrew Messick and Ironman on June 30th. Part of it was this paragraph:
Quote:
We will flex prize money, slot allocation, and depth of payment to the size of the pro field. We intend to dynamically flex the total prize purse, depth of payment and qualifying slots to the number of pro athletes who start a race. This means that in some cases we will not know the total prize purse until race weekend. This will maximize the likelihood that athletes are able to earn a check and potential world championship slots. In the same manner, the basic minimum allocation of world championship slots will apply, with additional slots added proportionately for every X number of athletes that come to race.

There is a document Ironman is updating with prize money and distribution for races that are going, and sometime in the past 4 or 5 days, they added Cozumel 70.3 with a $15,000 purse in the traditional distribution (5 deep from $3000 to $500). Knowing there will be a number of Americans and Canadians traveling to this race, along with I would guess, some of the usual racers, I was pretty disappointed to see such a small purse. But more than that, setting the purse 3 weeks out before there is a final start list seemed to be in direct disagreement with the statement from Messick. I reached out to Ironman and after a little confusion, was told that as the race was licensed, and not run by Ironman, they had no control over the prize money and it would stay at $15,000.

I won't get into the discussion of the financial troubles race direction is or will be encountering or the feasibility of professional triathlon in the first place here. It just feels insulting to receive that email and then be told 'sorry not this time'. This is the first real chance for any western hemisphere pros to race and a packed field will be fighting over a few checks just big enough to cover travel fees.

Now the last thing I've received from them is:
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. I have passed it along and if anything were to change regarding the prize purse, it would be found on the website.

So maybe there is a chance they put up some of their own money in addition to the set purse, but I won't be holding my breath. And here I am going anyways.

Interesting. Tough to travel down for peanuts especially when you need to quarantine when home. As an age grouper i'll make a vacation of it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next