Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021
Quote | Reply
Anyone else registered for 70.3 Gulf Coast? Join in on the thread if you are registered. Fingers crossed it can happen May 15th. Seems like there is some chance it can, right? I'm optimistic.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in, after not believing the 2020 race would go off.

I don't care at this point. If it happens, sweet. But I truly don't see why it wouldn't (if the race went off in November).

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m registered. Rollover from 2020. I will be ready, if it happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, but I'm not too worried if it goes off or not. My A race is IMFL, but I was getting antsy not training for a nearer goal, so I signed up for GC 70.3.

First triathlon in over 5 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in. I’ll be drinking a bunch of beer all afternoon over in Rosemary Beach whether the race goes off or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any sense of strength of the field? Obviously, 2020 was the anomaly, but can we expect a similar sized field as usual or will IM reduce the amount of racers due to COVID?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few questions for anyone who has followed 70.3 Gulf Coast in the past:

* In the past several years where 70.3 GC has been normally scheduled (in May), which years were wetsuit legal and which were not?

* Were there years where the swim was shortened or canceled? 2017?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2018 legal, 2019 not legal

2017 swim cancelled due to rip tides on race morning. I’m a pretty good swimmer and went out later that day with my dogs and immediately came back to the beach. I think strong swimmers likely would have been ok, but canceling was a good move - although it took me a while to be ok with it.

Edit: pretty sure 17 is the only year the swim has been altered since they began putting the race on in the 80s
Last edited by: Vols: Feb 17, 21 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Any sense of strength of the field? Obviously, 2020 was the anomaly, but can we expect a similar sized field as usual or will IM reduce the amount of racers due to COVID?

Probably a normal race given the local government but we’ll see. It’s usually a strong field based on my experience

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced Challenge Daytona in December, Challenge Miami is happening in a few weeks. This race will go on as scheduled unless there is some type of significant federal government intervention. Just my $0.02. I am hoping to race in May!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To add a little to the above. The 2018 swim was glorious with smooth, crystal clear water. The 2019 swim was a beast. Huge swells and many people got DNF on the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last time I did this race was 2012, they almost cancelled the swim due to big waves but went ahead with it. I believe I was one of a handful of racers without a wetsuit (former swimmer, have never owned one). Swimming through kelp/seaweed was a bit freaky, had to lift head high to breath or would swallow water, otherwise great race and venue (MOP here).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm keeping an eye on it and hoping to be there. Plan is to drive in morning before (6 hours away), find a cheap place to crash & then leave right after the race. Solo, no family along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
2018 legal, 2019 not legal

2017 swim cancelled due to rip tides on race morning. I’m a pretty good swimmer and went out later that day with my dogs and immediately came back to the beach. I think strong swimmers likely would have been ok, but canceling was a good move - although it took me a while to be ok with it.

Edit: pretty sure 17 is the only year the swim has been altered since they began putting the race on in the 80s

First time that they altered the swim at Gulf Coast was 2014 when the swim was cancelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From those who have done 70.3 Gulf Coast before, what pro tips would a first timer for this course wish s/he knew? Anything that lingers with you, either about the race course/event or off the race course (lodging, logistics)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[upated 3/13/21]
So far from this forum it looks like we've got 15 folks registered for 70.3 Gulf Coast (updated 3/10/21):
-tedtri
-cloy (and fiance)
-exxxviii
-Brandon_W
-Vols
-pacco
-Trizebbie
-Erockk
-Celerius

-Callin'
-BTZ93
-DashLash
-IM5timer

-TJP_SBR

Solid crew!! Anyone else here registered?
Last edited by: tedtri: Mar 13, 21 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in for this one too. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • The swim can be anything between blissful crystal clear water to crazy ocean swells. It is a legit ocean swim, and one of the features of the race.
  • The bike is incredibly fast. It is flat and most of the pavement is perfect. You will probably bike your fastest split ever there. When you get back on Front Beach Road, you may encounter some pretty sharp direct crosswind gusts. Don't let this scare you-- ride your disc wheel anyway.
  • The run can be hotter than Satan's anus. So, plan to hydrate a lot on the bike and keep it up on the run.
  • They do awards and roll-downs on Edgewater pool deck. That is one of the best post-race scenes anywhere.

Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s course nutrition? Want to practice a couple times just in case I have a problem with my stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [Erockk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Course nutrition is excellent. Every 15 miles on the bike and every mile on the run. I don’t remember what they offer, but there are plenty of opportunities. In normal times, they are all very well (wo)manned. Who knows what will happen in Covid times. I am doing a half marathon in a week that is self-serve refil (you have to carry bottles). Not sure how Ironman is adapting with Covid. I’m like whatever— if I have to pump a water wellhead to refill my bottles, I’m happy.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [Erockk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erockk - are you also registered for 70.3 Gulf Coast this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we confirm what swims at 70.3 Gulf Coast were wetsuit legal in the past 10 years when the race occurred in the month of May? For reference, here are the Ironman wetsuit rules. Anything at or below 76.1 is wetsuit legal. I have done some research and included links to race reports I could find, but hit a wall. I'd appreciate help from anyone filling in the blanks below. Thanks.

[updated]

2010- May 15th was 75.6 dF - legal
2011- May 15th was 76.3 dF
2012- May 15th was 77.5 dF
2013 - May 15th was 72.3 dF - legal
2014- May 15th was 75 dF - legal
2015 - wetsuit legal, (and here) ? May 15th was 77.9 dF
2016 - May 15th was 76.6 dF
2017 - swim canceled (and this) May 15th was 75.9 dF - legal
2018 - wetsuit legal (and this)? May 15th was 77.7 dF
2019 - wetsuit "optional"? May 15th was 77.2 dF
2020 XX - no May race. May 15th was 73.9 dF - legal

May 15th was a wetsuit legal temp 5 in the last 11 years... or 45% of the time.

This page below indicates the minimum water temp recorded is 72.3F, Avg is 75.4F, and high recorded 78.5F, so the average of 75.5 is just 0.7 degrees below the wetsuit cutoff for competition.

https://www.seatemperature.org/...a-city-beach-may.htm
Last edited by: tedtri: Feb 28, 21 11:17
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
  • The bike is incredibly fast. It is flat and most of the pavement is perfect. You will probably bike your fastest split ever there. When you get back on Front Beach Road, you may encounter some pretty sharp direct crosswind gusts. Don't let this scare you-- ride your disc wheel anyway

This. GC '18 was my first 70.3. I've been chasing that bike split ever since. It truly felt downwind both ways.

Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also note it's a 6:00 AM start (early!) on a Saturday, which I really love about it.

I've also always encountered jellyfish on the swim

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Feb 22, 21 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, what's with the jellies? They didn't sting, but they were startling. My fiance is racing and she is terrified of the jellies that she remembers me encountering in 2018.

Quote Reply

Prev Next