Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM 70.3 Augusta neck-to-neck race
Quote | Reply
No live coverage as far as I'm aware, but it's a close race!
Frommold, Weiss and Sanders off the bike together.
Weiss and Sanders running side by side now after 8, 0.4sec difference. Frommold dropped between 3 and 5k, now a min behind.
Would have loved coverage of this!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Augusta neck-to-neck race [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
13k now, Sanders and Weiss still next to each other! Will they dig extra deep to win it? Would that affect Kona for them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
13k now, Sanders and Weiss still next to each other! Will they dig extra deep to win it? Would that affect Kona for them?

Damn what a race, would love some coverage of it! wonder if weiss is just hangin on or waitong to take off
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Augusta neck-to-neck race [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So close to KonašŸ§
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 15k 3,5 sec difference. But Weiss seems to have broken after that, at 19k 1:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I donā€™t get - the fixation on broadcasting 140.6 to the exclusion of 70.3. I canā€™t imagine fewer people would have tuned in to Augustaā€”or even Cozumel with Tyler Butterfield trying to run down Rudy Von Bergā€”than Chatt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Lionel sat in on the bike and went for a little jog. Proud of him for holding back and saving it for Kona! Lionel hurry up and get to the big island so we can make some sick videos.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Augusta neck-to-neck race [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Meh....looks like he held back on the bike.
A hard 13 miles is nothing for these guys to recover from in a few days.

Given he doesn't do anything ridiculous in the next 2 weeks he should be fine.

I know thats a big ask for LS though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why two weeks out do you do a race before your A race. Sanders is either an idiot or a genius and you know how thin that line is.
Last edited by: BMANX: Sep 29, 19 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Augusta neck-to-neck race [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone else pointed out to me that it could possibly be an obligation to a sponsor but I have no idea how any of that works..

But I agree with your statement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These guys recover pretty quickly from a 70.3 and it Sanders caught up on the bike, 2 min down initially, but then didn't pull away, so might have eased off.
Sanders was predominantly doing this race to avoid overtraining, last year he bike to Kona course several times, at race intensity in the weeks prior to the race, and did massive run workouts. And Sanders did it to confirm his progression. Last year(s) he was very focused on his form being at peak during workouts before races. I hope he's starting to realize he shouldn't be at peak form in workouts in the weeks prior to an A-race, he should be in peak form at the A-race. I would love to see a video of his run form in the last couple of miles. That will tell how deep he went on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Why two weeks out do you do a race before your A race. Sanders is either an idiot or a genius and you know how thin that line is.
You could probably ask Cam Wurf the same thing

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Augusta neck-to-neck race [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was asked and answered. Different backgrounds and history. Only time will tell if they made a mistake or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a LS obsession? Every time there is a LS thread you comment on it lol.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Augusta neck-to-neck race [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM Ed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Do you have a LS obsession? Every time there is a LS thread you comment on it lol.

You're laughing out loud because someone comments on threads?

So salty, be it here or on YouTube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 minutes down on the swim. Have to assume that means he's looking at at least 5 minutes down at Kona unless that front group at Augusta were a bunch of uberswimmers on par with Frodeno, Brownlee, Amberger. 2:03 + 1:12 certainly means his bike/run are nicely teed up.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Augusta neck-to-neck race [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The salt water swim at Kona should be easier for him then the no wetsuit, freshwater swim at Augusta for buoyancy alone.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BS on sitting in on the bike....
But I agree get to the island and get some good footage! (And donā€™t bury yourself!!) Haha
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Augusta neck-to-neck race [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
The salt water swim at Kona should be easier for him then the no wetsuit, freshwater swim at Augusta for buoyancy alone.

But isn't the Augusta swim downstream??? We really need to see the top swim times vs Lionel's time to evaluate. Also, at Kona he'll have more swells/waves to deal with vs the more quiescent downstream river swim. I'd go with kny's estimate of around 5 min down after the swim at Kona.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to hear what effort Lionel put in today. It does appear he kept it dialled back until late in the run.

He ran his last mile at 4:59/mile - wow. Essentially 30 seconds faster than the next quickest for the last mile which has me thinking he might have been holding back on the run even running 1:12. If so, he could very well be on peak form for kona.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Augusta neck-to-neck race [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim is downstream. Fastest pro was 21:07. It seems there wasn't really a pack. 3 leaders, within 6 sec, then most spaced out after it. Sanders at 2 min, in 10th position. I think he would have hoped to be in the first chase pack, but such a pack didn't really materialize. But to lose 2 min in a 20 min swim, is quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Augusta neck-to-neck race [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canuck1 wrote:
It will be interesting to hear what effort Lionel put in today. It does appear he kept it dialled back until late in the run.

He ran his last mile at 4:59/mile - wow. Essentially 30 seconds faster than the next quickest for the last mile which has me thinking he might have been holding back on the run even running 1:12. If so, he could very well be on peak form for kona.

That's how it seems. Run with weiss at his pace and then see what you have left in the last few miles. That's how it seems, anyhow. The after video should be fun.

My only concern is that he was 2 minutes down on the leaders in an easy swim. If he wants a shot at placing highly he can not be 5 minutes down on Frodeno and Brownlee and heaven forbid Wurf after the swim. He really needs to come out of the water with Wurf. I feel he can pace off him on the bike and outrun him (I feel that Sanders is now somehow an underrated runner...). I suppose he could potentially ride with Keinle, and maybe that would work, but even for two bikers as strong as that, catching Frodeno and Brownlee could be tough - especially considering Brownlee is going to want to gap Lange and not ride with a pack.

Either way, I'm pretty pumped.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Augusta neck-to-neck race [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
BS on sitting in on the bike....

!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
Swim is downstream. Fastest pro was 21:07. It seems there wasn't really a pack. 3 leaders, within 6 sec, then most spaced out after it. Sanders at 2 min, in 10th position. I think he would have hoped to be in the first chase pack, but such a pack didn't really materialize. But to lose 2 min in a 20 min swim, is quite a bit.

2 min in a 20 min swim is 5 min in a 50 min swim. But this was downstream, so it's likely more like 7 min in a 50 min swim, but the 50 min swim in 2 weeks is in salt water. So if the lead swimmer does 48 (of course the lead swimmer in Kona is probably faster than the lead swimmer today), a good swim for Lionel in Kona would be 55 min.

But I don't think that Lionel needs to worry about the lead swimmer or the lead swim pack. That's just a distraction. He needs to come out of the water in the vicinity of Bart Aernouts, Sebi and just behind Wurf. Then the game is on. If they can bridge up to Cody Beals early, then there is sufficient firepower at hand.

Brownlee will quickly have an ally with Starky up the road. It will be interesting to see what Jan does and if he tries to stick with that or wait for Sebi and crew to bridge.
Quote Reply

Prev Next