Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMUSA Lake Placid may no longer be in LP
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Im not sure how many people know, but IMUSA had a five year contract with Lake Placid to hold the event here (just a few miles from my home). Well, the town of LP has decided that it wants to chase away another golden goose. If I understand it correctly, LP wants IMUSA to pay them more money to compensate for the lost income that occurs as a result of the race. Most business owners say that they are hurt on race day, and they dont need IM there to do as well. The rest say that they are neither helped or hurt. In the end, right now they seem to be saying that IM needs to take a hike, and dont let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out. This is not the first big event that they have chased away. They chased away the ESPN great outdoor games, among others. It seems to be the mentality up here that having your business be busy is a bad thing. I guess they also didnt think about all the folks that come up here every weekend, stay in town from when the snow melts to IM week. I dont know, Ill just be really sad to see it go if it moves on. Maybe they will move across the lake to VT or NH. Maybe they will get a better reception there.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
That would be ok with me as it is almost impossible to get to. At least one can fly into Burlington although probably not if everyone is trying to fly into there.

What it will do to IMNA, who are headquartered there? Wonder if they will move?

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: IMUSA Lake Placid may no longer be in LP [sjudice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steven, this is almost unimaginable to me. That town rocks during IM weekend more than it ever does any other week. I was up there a couple of weeks ago. At any given time there were up to 100 people on the bike course. They were all staying at hotels that would otherwise be empty during that week.

This is the same town that landed two Olympic games. This is the same town where Graham Frazier lives and has set up shop. This is a very successful race. It is the most successful race in North America with the exception of IM Canada.

Where do you get your information?

Tell me it ain't so.
Last edited by: ajfranke: Jul 2, 03 11:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when would the decision be made?? or is it a done deal?? this is a rookie question but if they move it will they move the date too? who would I ask? I haven't checked to see if next year CDA has filled, but this may make me want to sign up, on the fence now and it might be too late. I better check
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I was told this past weekend, by a local resident that works both Tupper and IMUSA, that a 2-year extension had just been signed.

If you want to know what does bring in a lot of $$$ to the area, eclipsing IMUSA by far - it's the 2-week hunter/jumper horse show, that's going on right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMUSA actually pays the city of Lake Placid? (well other than police overtime and such) Different set-up ffrom what I've heard of IMFL, where the PCB Tourist Development Council is paying at least $50,000 for every year on the contract to IMUSA for the priviledge of holding the event.

IMUSA reportedly wants to increase that amount for any future IMFL contracts, so what's going on could just be some sort of bargaining position for the start of any future contracts.
Quote Reply
Re: IMUSA Lake Placid may no longer be in LP [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Art,
Its a small town. Everybody knows exactly what everyone else does here. IMUSA has been grumbled about by the town board for some time. From everyone that I have contact with, the opinion is positive towards the IM; although several residents do make plans to be out of town on that weekend. I have not seen Graham yet this year at the mini-tris (which began two weeks ago), so I have not heard anything from the horses mouth so to speak.
Let me know next time you are up here training. I finally bought a beater bike to train on so that I can get out more often. Im ever so slightly starting to feel my cycling legs.

Take care.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
"IMUSA actually pays the city of Lake Placid?"

i have no idea how the contract is structured, by typically what happens is that a city will grant IMUSA or similar organization a "site fee" of, say, $25,000 or $75,000, whatever, and that grant is to be set against city expenses. so, the city gives $50k to an event out of its special event budget, but then the cops charge the event $20k, parks and rec charges $5k, public works $10k, etc. what you hope for as an RD is that the event is a wash, i.e., city services end up being essentially free.

sometimes a city will offer the grant, and then charge back each of the departments. in other words, it'll tell public works to come up with $10k out of its own budget. this is what causes the grumbling inside the body of city employees.

when a town council grumbles, it's often because:

1. residents can't get to church.
2. certain businesses are inconvenienced.

but this is ALWAYS the case with newer events, and it was the case in kona, and even in penticton. but after a few years everyone adapts, and there aren't any further big problems. especially because, yes, this town DOES have hotels, restaurants, etc., and while the local auto parts store is inconvenienced, the hotels certainly aren't (and there are a lot more hotels in kona, penticton, and LP than there are auto parts stores).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it _is_ their town, they should be able to decide if they want to keep the race or not. I'd be sad, as I've raced there twice and spectated a few other times. It has a million memories for me.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know where the rumours start? IMNA extended our contract with the LPCVB last year for 5 more years.

We also have a contract with the Village which is for two

years and automatically adds another year after each event. The people of LP have toaltally embraced the event and I hope I am there for the 50th anniversary.

Most businesses love it but as with every event there are some who complain. it happens in every race location.

Our contracts are different in each location and we hope to be in CDL,Wisc, Penticton, LP for a long time.

we will continue to have an LP office and a Florida office.This winter we will spend more time in Florida. Time to live warm and visit the snow.

Graham Fraser

Grah
Quote Reply
Re: IMUSA Lake Placid may no longer be in LP [gfraser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Graham, thanks for this information. I hope I am there for the 50th anniversary too. I will only be 92 by then. Maybe I can qualify for Kona in the 90+ category. I sure won't do it in the 45-49 age group.

You run a great race. I hope it never stops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...we hope to be in CDL,Wisc, Penticton, LP for a long time"

Does this mean we can assume there will be no Ironman Florida in Panama City next year?
Quote Reply
What about IM-FL? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Graham did not include Florida as eing there a long time. Anyone know how the race stands as far as staying in PCB?

I love any race with a real ocean (gulf - same as)! I don't care if it is PCB or some other gulf town. In fact, I think it would be wise to move the race farther south on the gulf side of the state on the same weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: IMUSA Lake Placid may no longer be in LP [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
speaking of rumors. Has anyone heard where the "other" east coast IM will be in 2004. i noticed that Graham Fraser did not include PCB in his list of keepers. I had heard talk of Williamsburg. VA.. I sure hate to see the loss of a swim in the big pond (loved the waves last year) and a single lap bike, which i think FLA was the only one other than HI. also having the all flat race added the variety if you did LP in the hills. we'll see. !! happy Birthday America !! ted
Quote Reply
Re: IMUSA Lake Placid may no longer be in LP [ted3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rumor 'round these parts points to the possibility of an IM in Pinehurst NC. just a rumor. Ol' Gord Fraser and Inside Out are pretty tight, from what the rumors say, of course.
Quote Reply
Re: IMUSA Lake Placid may no longer be in LP [lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my four years at IMLP the only people I ever heard bitch are the ones selling booze and smokes...hell, the hotel staff told me that they love IMLP as we are MUCH MUCH cleaner and less trouble than the "Drunken Outdoor Games Rednecks - who got chainsaw grease and dog shit all over the place" - LOL. (that is a quote from an employee at the Hilton)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez Graham you can't win can you?!!

I much appreciate the job you do but I'd hate to be in your shoes. Just omitting a race name causes as much consternation as a false rumor!

Thanks for clarifying the IMUSA status. Though, it has a downside for me - my wife called my bluff - "I'll only do another Ironman if you do it too", and I was kind of hoping to get a nice flat race. When I tell her LP is still going strong, she'll want to go there for sure. Looks like we might be an "Iron Couple" after all.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: What about IM-FL? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMFL's contract ends after this years race. The local TDC has not approved an extension. A private group has sent us an offer to keep the event there. We also have bids from Williamsburg and Myrtle Beach.

I personally love PCB and did the race in 2001. The volunteers are great and love the race. We do need support from the local politicians. They need to want the race like the people of CDL,LP,Canada,Wisc....its what makes it special. We will know probably in sept. It is PCB race to keep of they want it.

GF
Quote Reply
How refreshing ... [gfraser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to get the real word as to what is going on or not.

BTW, I thought the "addition" of the champaigne celebration for the winners was a nice addition to the CDA race. I vote for keeping that as it should make for some nice visuals and brings us in line with cycling awards. Now, how about some podium girls :-)

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: How refreshing ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Graham for being so willing to share the status of the various IMNA races with the forum. Is there a possibility of the return of a full event in the southwest? The California Half is a great event, but I miss the opportunity that we had in 2000 and 2001 to race the full distance.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: What about IM-FL? [gfraser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope it does stay in PCB, (I've got plans for 2004) and that the politicians do come on board. (though I've been less than impressed with the Bay County Commission's ability to get things done over the years)

Am now pondering the private donor in negotiations, and two big companies are coming to mind. One of them's got the big checkbook open and a lot of fingers in Panhandle pies these days.....
Quote Reply