Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PUTU wrote:
I am sure Matt will answer this more in detail but EFS Pro is dang good, so far I have played with a lot stronger concentrations of it and had zero problems compared to their regular stuff. I used to have small vurps with most other things I have tried but have had zero problems with EFS Pro. Their mixture digest easier and quicker.

Yes, agree. The first prototype that they came out with and sent me to test didn't dissolve quite as well in water so you couldn't make a "sludge" bottle. Still tasted great and had the same blends of cal/carb/electrolytes. They fixed the small issue, made a few additional changes (a bit less Mg to ensure no GI issues), and came out with an amazing product once all of the testing was done. It was a fun process to be a part of.

---
http://www.matthansontri.com
http://www.matthansonracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Any thoughts of taking a sabbatical of sorts in the fall to completely focus on Kona?

Honestly, I am not letting myself think of that just yet for a number of reasons. The last weekend and few days has been a whirlwind as I have traveled home and got ready to give some finals. The emotion of the weekend has not wore off. We have one week left of the semester so I am going to get through finals then sit down with all of the important people in my life and have serious conversations.

---
http://www.matthansontri.com
http://www.matthansonracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered putting your other day job on hold for a while and fully concentrating on Triathlon?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
Here is my race report from IMTX. Posting a bit later than I wanted, had a long drive back and needed to proctor a few exams this morning. I apologize in advance for the length of the read, it was an emotional weekend.

Race Report Link


Thanks for reading and thank you for the support from so many of you, the last few days have been a blur. Happy to answer any questions you have from the race, so fire away.

Great job. Can we pencil you, Potts and Hoffman in for the Podium with T.O. as the Wild Card in October?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much!

-Chris


Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
matthansontri wrote:
Here is my race report from IMTX. Posting a bit later than I wanted, had a long drive back and needed to proctor a few exams this morning. I apologize in advance for the length of the read, it was an emotional weekend.

Race Report Link


Thanks for reading and thank you for the support from so many of you, the last few days have been a blur. Happy to answer any questions you have from the race, so fire away.


Great job. Can we pencil you, Potts and Hoffman in for the Podium with T.O. as the Wild Card in October?

That's a wonderful thought, however it is fair to say there's 50 or so other guys from the rest of the world who would want to disagree with that outcome.

---
http://www.matthansontri.com
http://www.matthansonracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Have you considered putting your other day job on hold for a while and fully concentrating on Triathlon?

See the response just above your post :). Tough decisions ahead, just not today!!

---
http://www.matthansontri.com
http://www.matthansonracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fe_dad wrote:
matthansontri wrote:
some_devil wrote:


I have a question about those 360 calorie bottles. Did you dial in the calorie:water ratio that you needed? I think I even read on EFS' website that they recommend 100 cals for 12 ounces of water. At 360 calories, either those bottles were super big, or you determined that the optimal ratio is different for different people or that it's different for bike vs run.

Which was it? Do you feel that you can handle a higher calorie to water ratio when biking?

Thanks for coming on here to answer questions!

Thought I would chime in on this so athletes get this right since its so critical. Our recommendations are based on the best research available. A 6-8% solution, which is approximately 100 calories to 12oz of water is what the majority of the research shows to be optimal for absorption. The EFS-PRO however was designed to have a much lower osmolality which allows it to be absorbed well at higher concentrations. Based on the osmolality we recommend 120 calories to each 12 ounces of fluid when using the EFS-PRO. Athletes must realize that this is a general recommendation and that this should be adjusted for individual differences and for environmental changes. In very HOT conditions athletes should push the fluids further than in cooler conditions.

Robert Kunz / Founder and VP of Science for First Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doh!
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race! I had a good time watching you guys on the live stream while on the trainer. The footage was surprisingly good.

I have a few questions about what you wore on the day. Functionality questions, not fashion. You raced in Kiwami's LD suit but opted to toss a Huub swimskin over it for the swim. I know the Kiwami has a few pockets but they seem well shielded/tight so they wouldn't catch too much water. What do you think the rough time savings is between swimming in the Kiwami LD versus a dedicated swimskin? I realize saving just 1s/100m is valuable for a pro but for an AG on a budget, I can afford to lose 30 seconds to save $200.

Additionally, why not wear a sleeved top for the bike? Was heat a deciding factor?

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:
Congrats on a great race! I had a good time watching you guys on the live stream while on the trainer. The footage was surprisingly good.

I have a few questions about what you wore on the day. Functionality questions, not fashion. You raced in Kiwami's LD suit but opted to toss a Huub swimskin over it for the swim. I know the Kiwami has a few pockets but they seem well shielded/tight so they wouldn't catch too much water. What do you think the rough time savings is between swimming in the Kiwami LD versus a dedicated swimskin? I realize saving just 1s/100m is valuable for a pro but for an AG on a budget, I can afford to lose 30 seconds to save $200.

Additionally, why not wear a sleeved top for the bike? Was heat a deciding factor?

Yes, I raced in Kiwami's Spider WS1 1 pc tri suit. It is extremely comfortable, and does have a few pockets on the sides and one on the back. I did swim in the Huub Swimskin as well. I honestly don't know how much faster per 100 the swimskin is than the Kiwami suit, but it is faster. The Kiwami suit is great and would be fine to swim with. But as you said, even 1 second per 100 can make a huge difference in a race. I don't think of it necessarily in terms of saving time though. I think of it in terms of saving energy. On Saturday, I missed the front pack, but was sitting comfortably in the second pack. I could have swam harder, but if I did I would have been swimming alone or pulling the entire group. Either is inefficient. When swimming in the pack, efficiency becomes the key. Wearing the Huub swimskin, I am able to work just a little less at the same speed so I can save just a bit more for the bike/run.

Clothing fit is really individual. When I tested the Spider verses the Kona Wings (long sleeve) in the Velodrome, the spider was a hair faster. So that is what I will use. My years as a wrestler left me with forward shoulders, so there were a lot of wrinkles in the Kona wings while in aero. The wrinkles mean more drag. The long sleeve and quarter sleeve are much faster on many (most) individuals, the Kona wings just weren't on me.

---
http://www.matthansontri.com
http://www.matthansonracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [ridehard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I generally try to stick to 100 cals per 12 ounces of water, + or - a little here or there, especially on the bike when I'm not jostling as much as when I'm running.

I would love to take in 400 cals per hour....but sucking down 48 ounces of water an hour over 5-6 hours is a lot.


Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many calories did you drink per bottle. I know you did 2x strength. How many bottles of EFS pro did you have plus water. And what else did you drink. What did you take in during run?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [Leb11103] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leb11103 wrote:
How many calories did you drink per bottle. I know you did 2x strength. How many bottles of EFS pro did you have plus water. And what else did you drink. What did you take in during run?

I had 5 bottles of EFS - PRO with around 360 calories in each on the bike. The goal was about 420 calories per hour. It is impossible for me to guess how much water I drank throughout the bike course. I grabbed a bottle at most stations and drank some, poured some on me to cool down, and grabbed another bottle to throw in an empty cage if possible. I still poured a lot of water on me as I rode to the next aid station. No clue how much water I took down. I drank nothing other than water and EFS - PRO.

Run nutrition is always a bit difficult to recall correctly. I had a flask of EFS Liquid Shot for the first two laps, and another flask of the Liquid Shot with a scoop of EFS Pre Race in it for the third lap. I didn't take too much of the second flask at all, maybe 1/4th. I drank cola through maybe half of the aid stations and water at many of the others.

---
http://www.matthansontri.com
http://www.matthansonracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome job!
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you had no solids at all? Also what was your recover either meal or drink right after? Ultragen?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [Leb11103] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leb11103 wrote:
So you had no solids at all? Also what was your recover either meal or drink right after? Ultragen?

I had no solid food from 8:00 p.m the evening before until about 2 hours post race. I didn't plan ahead far enough to have Ultragen with me at the race for the finish line. I think I had 4 cans of coke and whatever champagne found its way in my mouth on the podium :). I didn't leave race site since my sister was racing, and my stomach just wasn't ready for the burrito they had in athlete recovery. I grabbed something quick after my sister ran past on the second lap, then we went out to a nice family dinner after she recovered. Then I ate at midnight when I got home from the last hour celebration...again at 6:00 a.m., then again at 10....and again at the awards....and again......

---
http://www.matthansontri.com
http://www.matthansonracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's one that's sort of open ended- to what would you most contribute your success at going from an age group athlete to a very top-tier pro?

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [Timbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timbikerun wrote:
Here's one that's sort of open ended- to what would you most contribute your success at going from an age group athlete to a very top-tier pro?

Very tough question. I have had a lot of great people in my life that have supported me tremendously. This is an individual sport, but in order to do well, you need a lot of support. I could not be where I am now without my wife and family behind me every step of the way. My coaches are also hugely important to every improvement I've seen.

---
http://www.matthansontri.com
http://www.matthansonracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
I didn't leave race site since my sister was racing,.

Nice! Way to go, bro.

And yeah, I find the burritos not a good post-IM food choice. At least for me.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Matt - IIRC, you were part of the pro swim camp Tim put on this past Jan at The Woodlands, correct??? How did that camp work out for you and how much did you improve in the 30 days or so??? Bet you liked having John Kenney and Balazs there to push you in the workouts!!! From what I've read/heard, John K. is just a motor in the water:)

And of course, congrats on your great race!!!


Had to urban dictionary IIRC....

Matt,

WTYM.

Your interwebbing knowledge is very poor, but you seem to have the skillz to edumacate yourself. Do you think that this interwebbing skill will provide you the critical edge that you need to win Kona?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
I am still working full time, so my schedule is very similar to that of an elite AG athlete. I do very few endurance paced workouts during a build. Every workout has a specific purpose and it is a lot easier to ensure that you are meeting that purpose when you don't have to worry about cars, stoplights, weather, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love training outdoors. But I find indoor work to be very efficient and useful for prepping for hot races as well.

Matt,

Thanks for sharing!
Whats your schedule like? Workouts early mornings, quick run at lunch and workout after work?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt,
Sorry if I missed this, how did you carry or get 5 bottles of calories during the event? 3 to start, 2 at special needs?
Thx
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
matthansontri wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Matt - IIRC, you were part of the pro swim camp Tim put on this past Jan at The Woodlands, correct??? How did that camp work out for you and how much did you improve in the 30 days or so??? Bet you liked having John Kenney and Balazs there to push you in the workouts!!! From what I've read/heard, John K. is just a motor in the water:)

And of course, congrats on your great race!!!


Had to urban dictionary IIRC....


Matt,

WTYM.

Your interwebbing knowledge is very poor, but you seem to have the skillz to edumacate yourself. Do you think that this interwebbing skill will provide you the critical edge that you need to win Kona?

Haha...um...is this even in English? Speechless....just speechless.

---
http://www.matthansontri.com
http://www.matthansonracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:
matthansontri wrote:
I am still working full time, so my schedule is very similar to that of an elite AG athlete. I do very few endurance paced workouts during a build. Every workout has a specific purpose and it is a lot easier to ensure that you are meeting that purpose when you don't have to worry about cars, stoplights, weather, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love training outdoors. But I find indoor work to be very efficient and useful for prepping for hot races as well.


Matt,

Thanks for sharing!
Whats your schedule like? Workouts early mornings, quick run at lunch and workout after work?

I typically come into the office and prep for class/grade papers around 6:00 a.m. It is quiet and I can be really efficient with my time. I teach most mornings from 8 though 11:50 a.m. then sprint to the pool (conveniently just down the hall from my classroom). I swim noon to 1 monday through friday. Monday evening, I typically have a run and a strength session, tuesday and thrusday are bike and strength sessions, and Wednesday is a track day and strength session. Friday, I usually just do a short swim. I typically stay in my office until 3:30 or so, and am working out by 4. I am able to get dinner with my wife 95% of the evenings by 6:30-7:00 which is very important to me. I'll grade/prep for class most evenings as well. Weekend typically has a long ride one day and a long run and longer swim the other. In bed by 10:00 every night.

---
http://www.matthansontri.com
http://www.matthansonracing.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next