Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMTX
Quote | Reply
Question, I. Know the event is still up in the air but if it does go, how will they do it with so little volunteers?

I was messing around yesterday looking at their signups needed. I have volunteered at that race every year and by now it is usually at least 80% full of volunteers. I added up the openings and they are still needing over 2000. I know it’s rare that they would get 100% especially with no shows etc. How can they run it well still needing over 2000?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX [dhpflyn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Profit margin might suffer with a bunch of donations to church groups, Boy Scout troops, etc. They’ll buy the labor that way
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve always assumed that is/was the main reason for the IM Foundation...throwing money at lions clubs/ Kiwanis/ scouts/ churches/ local fire dept fundraisers etc etc to get courses approved and to have a slush fund to grease the skids a bit in putting these races on.

If those donations come with a ‘volunteer’ commitment of shifts, all the better for them.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
I’ve always assumed that is/was the main reason for the IM Foundation...throwing money at lions clubs/ Kiwanis/ scouts/ churches/ local fire dept fundraisers etc etc to get courses approved and to have a slush fund to grease the skids a bit in putting these races on.

If those donations come with a ‘volunteer’ commitment of shifts, all the better for them.

I have no problem with what is effectively legal quid pro quo. But if you want to know:

2018 DONATIONS made by the Ironman Foundation:

$16,500 INTERFAITH OF THE WOODLANDS
$16,000 BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA - TROOP 491 - MONTGOMEY TEXAS
$11,500 ANGEL REACH - CONROE TEXAS
$8,000 MEALS ON WHEELS MONTOGOMERY COUNTY TEXAS
$35,000 REBUILDING TOGETHER HOUSTON

I bet it would take 5 minutes to find BoDs of these organizations who have direct ties to Montgomery County planning commissions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know, but I heard the same doom and gloom before IMFL 2020. After the race, I didn't read of any reports that it was hosed up by too few volunteers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have suggestions on the most convenient hotels for staying in the area? This will be my first time there.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
Anyone have suggestions on the most convenient hotels for staying in the area? This will be my first time there.

What's your definition of convenient? If it's being able to walk everywhere there are just a handful and they are on the higher end. If you don't mind driving there are countless of the main hotel brands within a few miles of the race location. Any of them will be fine.

If you've got a specific question about a particular hotel or the race in general, shoot me a note. I basically live across the street from the swim start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:

The Westin and Marriott Waterway are the two prime locations for most of the race site locations. They're a block away from the finish line and both are on the run course.

The swim start and transition are about 1.5 miles and 2/3 mile, respectively, from those two hotels. The Embassy Suites at Hughes Landing is the closest to swim and transition.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:

I stayed at the Westin when I did the race and it was very convenient and quite a nice hotel. The Marriott is also right on the course and I think where the meetings (if they have them still - Covid?) were held.

Fleming's Steakhouse was really good and only a 5 minute walk away.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any word on them changing the swim to an ice skate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.statesman.com/...-lubbock/6885317002/

Looks like statewide restrictions won't be coming into play on this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:

My guess is this actually makes the likelihood of IMTX happening less likely. While the race takes place in The Woodlands (Montgomery County) this whole race is going to hinge on Harris County approving the bike course since ~80% of the bike course is in Harris County and much actually within Houston's city limits. Both the Mayor of Houston and the Harris County Judge (she is the highest ranking person for the County) both blasted Abbott yesterday and said they won't ease up Harris County/Houston's restrictions. Harris Co. and Houston have not been allowing permits for running races and the like and supposedly won't until at least May. Sounds like they're going to be playing politics on this.

https://www.click2houston.com/...limits-mask-mandate/

Last edited by: The GMAN: Mar 3, 21 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Abbott has said the state rules override the county/city rules unless the hospitalization rate for COVID is above 15% for the county/city. I don't know if there's a separate rule on ICU bed usage. But the last I saw, overall hospitalization is below 15% but ICU compared to Phase 1 beds is above 20% (of course going to Phase 2 and Phase 3 almost doubles the icu capacity).

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll toss this in just for reference. I worry you are correct though that this will become more a matter of politics then any sound medical/health evaluation.

Last edited by: Traket92x: Mar 3, 21 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

My guess is this actually makes the likelihood of IMTX happening less likely.

I agree. Statewide restrictions were never going to be the main obstacle to holding the race so their removal does not matter. Opening all businesses and eliminating the mask mandate does, however, increase the odds that the cases will increase, especially since TX is close to last in its vaccination rate. If cases increase, local permits will be harder to come by. I'm really disappointed.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I agree. Statewide restrictions were never going to be the main obstacle to holding the race so their removal does not matter. Opening all businesses and eliminating the mask mandate does, however, increase the odds that the cases will increase, especially since TX is close to last in its vaccination rate. If cases increase, local permits will be harder to come by. I'm really disappointed.

This is my view as well. Remover mask mandate --> increased cases ---> less likelihood of event moving forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

...especially since TX is close to last in its vaccination rate...

I'll be curious to see if we move up the list. Distribution and administration was totally shut down for a solid week.

Maybe compliance is really high in Harris County. In most of the areas I've been through in West Texas, masking rates were/are falling fast.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is the parking on race day if I'm not staying at a hotel in walking distance to the start line?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
How is the parking on race day if I'm not staying at a hotel in walking distance to the start line?

To be honest I've got no first hand experience with the parking as I'm close enough to walk from my house and my previous house was a short bike ride away.

There's a grocery store/shopping center across from the main transition area with a large parking lot. I've always heard that it hasn't been a big deal to park there but again no first hand experience. There is street parking near the swim start but it backs up pretty far - well past my house - and there's a large corporate complex across the main road that's empty on the weekends. Not sure if folks park there or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is parking at an HEB grocery store that is at the end of a shopping complex. That is within walking distance of transition. I have raced IMTX three times and felt the earlier you get there, the better. From transition, athletes walk the one mile or so to the swim start. There is parking at the swim start across the street at a Whole Foods. But I am not sure how full that gets race morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Less than six weeks to go before IMTX. I haven't received an Athlete Guide, which the IM website indicates will be posted 6-8 weeks before the race. Should I be worried that this is a sign the race isn't happening? Does anybody know when the guide went out before the 2020 IMFL?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
Less than six weeks to go before IMTX. I haven't received an Athlete Guide, which the IM website indicates will be posted 6-8 weeks before the race. Should I be worried that this is a sign the race isn't happening? Does anybody know when the guide went out before the 2020 IMFL?

no. they never have it ready on time. And they have more to cover.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No parking in The HEB parking lot or The Mall parking lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Traket92x wrote:

My guess is this actually makes the likelihood of IMTX happening less likely. While the race takes place in The Woodlands (Montgomery County) this whole race is going to hinge on Harris County approving the bike course since ~80% of the bike course is in Harris County and much actually within Houston's city limits. Both the Mayor of Houston and the Harris County Judge (she is the highest ranking person for the County) both blasted Abbott yesterday and said they won't ease up Harris County/Houston's restrictions. Harris Co. and Houston have not been allowing permits for running races and the like and supposedly won't until at least May. Sounds like they're going to be playing politics on this.

https://www.click2houston.com/...limits-mask-mandate/

Saw this coming. Sorry to everyone registered. Seems to have been political at this point and we’re shrapnel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wish we had been wrong, but looks like we both nailed this one. Glad I hadn’t booked my hotel yet.

On the bright side, I needed a few more items before race day and now I have more time to acquire them.

Trisuit - Short supply of anything on sale, more time for this.
Watch - April 30 makes for two years on the Garmin 945. Next long race is IM 70.3 Lubbock. Chance for an update before I race.
Last edited by: Traket92x: Mar 16, 21 20:01
Quote Reply