Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMNZ swim cancelled
Quote | Reply
CRAP!!!

That's not good... I hope they don't turn it into one of those bike-run with a TT start.
Last edited by: Paulo: Mar 3, 06 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ swim canceled [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would you rather they do a run-bike? :)
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ swim canceled [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, a run-bike-run. Just to warm-up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harder to do because people's running shoes are probably in their transition bags...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what? Why? What happened? did I miss something? Is this serious?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ swim canceled [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is serious, and there are idiots on other thread that sitting confortably in their chairs are accusing the RD of "wussing out"...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty inclement weather in the Taupo area. Some gale force winds in action, and big waves on the lake.

The issue now will be whether they think the winds are too high to make biking safe.

Jeez that is a rough break for those athletes....

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ swim canceled [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
man..that would really set monty off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't even imagine being an RD right now. That would be an awful decision to have to make. But you REALLY have to feel for the athletes. BUt you really can't put a price on your life. Well, I could. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25 mins till next announcment, 60 kph winds here in montreal too. would be a nice day to go sailing if it didnt feel like it was -25

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks unreal - very dangerous. Take a look at the pictures on IM LIVE. Very smart decision on the part of the RD.

- Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. Baloney. Cancel it. The race director should have no compunctions about excercising good judgement and playing it safe.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ swim canceled [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got to be kidding me, thats it?? Unless those trees are a 100ft tall, then this is a really lame choice to cancel the swim. Granted, that a majority of the people are such bad swimmers in Ironmans these days, but don't penalize those that are not, and came prepared for this race....Those are the ones really surrering now, the ones that have to be dummed down by those that have no business in attempting a swim that they are ill prepared for....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be fun to do a run-bike-run for the race instead of the TT style start. the two transitions in NZ would make things a bit more difficult, but i'm sure they could figure it out!! how hard would it be... just add a nice 6 to 8k run to the start and let it fly....
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ swim canceled [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those white caps are pretty lame if you ask me. if anybody's ever windsurfed those conditions are absolutely amazing, not dangerous at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll bet Bjorn is pretty stoked right now he didn't try to do this race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno about that...that pole on the left of the picture is all bent funny! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you guys realize how ridiculous you sound, sitting in your chairs, half a world away, passing judgment like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. It is one thing to make the call from ground level as opposed to hovering over the battle at 30,000 ft.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about you, but I would be swimming in the lake, and not worring about a skinny plastic pole on the land. Those white caps are no more than we get every afternoon in the pacific here. The buoys seem all set, and they are clearly visable from the shore vantage. This a a very lame call, but I understand the reasons for it. I just don't agree with them.....It is a cop out for the race director, and they don't want to deal with a very marginal situation, involving a large % of incompetent individuals...Path of least resistance as they say, just glad I didn't plunk down 5 grand for a pasta party....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep-swimming in whitecaps is a big no-no. Can it be done, sure. A mass start with these conditions = trouble. I say good call on cancelling the swim - E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Paulo, I've been in this same situation many, many times in my career, and have always embraced tough conditions. I realize that you are new to the sport, and have only had the new wussifyied versions of triathlons, and I can see how this photo scares the hell out of you. But it does not scare a lot of the rest of us, and we would welcome a little extra challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the decision it seems like they made is for the better of all athletes, not just the elites. Yes probably the best swimmers would have no problem with the wind and white caps, but not all swimmers are like that - and triathlon isn't just about the sharp end of the race.

Seems like this happened somewhere else a few years ago and they let the pros swim and everyone else just did the race duathlon style...
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ swim canceled [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being a marginal swimmer, I thoink it was a good call

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply

Prev Next