Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMNZ... to disc wheel or not to disc wheel? that is the question.
Quote | Reply
I’m a FOP female and my bike is my strong point so I’m leaning towards the disc wheel for IMNZ, but wanted to ask the merits of this for 2019 given road surface, course profile etc. What say the masses? (Disc is a HED JET - Carbon case over spoked wheel).
Thanks in advance for info, advice, tips and input :)
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ... to disc wheel or not to disc wheel? that is the question. [noodlecat77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always disc. Depending on tire choice, you might elect to lower front and rear psi 5psi just from a comfort on the chip seal pavement point of view. You could argue bigger tires as well, but 23mm GP4000sii already measure close to 26 or so on the + rims.
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ... to disc wheel or not to disc wheel? that is the question. [noodlecat77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the race three times and IMO no reason why you wouldn't run a disc. On that note beware as many years ago the race had some wild weather and was even made a shorter triathlon the following day. The last time I did it was howling wind and if you are lighter you probably wouldn't want a disc. I imagine you could check the weather if you aren't arriving to early to get a judge but if normal conditions use a disc. There is a long climb leaving town you do twice but then relatively flat. I was told a lot of the road has been resurfaced but I am not sure so hope someone who knows can chip in. If still the rough surface it was run a wide tyre 25mm if you can as I always did and lower your tyre pressures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lower tire pressure in line with your weight

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it twice (2008/2009) on a HED3 disc, HED 3 front. 2008 was a little blowy but the only time I felt uneasy was after turning off the out and back section on the way back into town (near the race track) where a few gusts caught me by surprise. No issues on the out and back.

I ran Conti Comp 19's at around 125 psi at the time.

There were a tonne of discs on the course. It's not an issue for anything other than a gale.
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ... to disc wheel or not to disc wheel? that is the question. [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:

OMG

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ... to disc wheel or not to disc wheel? that is the question. [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that's a HED Jet Plus disc she should be running close to 65psi. For pure speed I would go with a low rolling resistance 23c tire in the back (Conti SS or TT) and an low crr & aero tire such as the Conti Attack or GP4000s in the front.Of course ... latex tubes :) A more conservative combination would be GP4000s front / back or the new GP5000s. Don't put 25c tires on HED Jet+ wheels unless you want them to balloon to 28-29mm.

ericMPro wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

OMG

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc.
Even in 2006 (no swim, shortened course), I wasn't wishing I'd taken something different, the lakefront road was a gusty but not really bad (I'm 62kg btw and had a 404 front on)

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ... to disc wheel or not to disc wheel? that is the question. [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

OMG

Lol I wasn’t armed with the most up to date knowledge. Probably got 200-300m more vertical than most others on the course.
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ... to disc wheel or not to disc wheel? that is the question. [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I can’t fit 25mm tyres on my frame but have the GP front tyre already 🙂
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ... to disc wheel or not to disc wheel? that is the question. [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, yes jet plus disc never more than 90psi but hadn’t gone as low as 65, and conti GP4000 is on the front (ENVE 6.7) both clinchers 👍
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a good discussion on tire pressure.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_pressure_P6590129/

90 seems a bit too much. I weight 158lbs and ran 90 PSI on FLO wheels with 23c tires and went down to 80 with 25c. I just got a pair of HED Jet+ and will probably start at 75 psi. HED recommends 65-80 for a 170lbs athlete.

https://www.hedcycling.com/...us-and-black-wheels/

Plenty of time to experiment before IMNZ. Good luck!

noodlecat77 wrote:
Thanks, yes jet plus disc never more than 90psi but hadn’t gone as low as 65, and conti GP4000 is on the front (ENVE 6.7) both clinchers 👍

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ... to disc wheel or not to disc wheel? that is the question. [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

OMG

Lol I wasn’t armed with the most up to date knowledge. Probably got 200-300m more vertical than most others on the course.

At IMNZ, I'm surprised you have any teeth left.
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ... to disc wheel or not to disc wheel? that is the question. [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome , thank you. All replies and information very much appreciated. Disc it is, and I’ll sort out the pressure properly first. And no, I don’t have enough dental cover to run 19s with 125psi! 😁
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you've already decided but figured I'd just say if you have any more questions about IMNZ in general or travel etc. let me know! I've done it 4 times as a professional and have fallen in love with NZ. I wrote a blog post on traveling to IMNZ. Let me know if you have any more questions about IMNZ!

-currently in NZ for the 70.3 :)
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ... to disc wheel or not to disc wheel? that is the question. [Jocelynmccauley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome Jocelyn! I did it back in 2014 but was injured and really not in shape to race well there, and inexperienced too, so keen for other perspectives. Can you send me the link to your blog?... I’d love to read it 🙂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a lame excuse because it is... my website is down currently but I'll post it when it's live again! Sorry! Hope to meet you here in March!
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ... to disc wheel or not to disc wheel? that is the question. [Jocelynmccauley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, no worries. I’ll fb & insta follow you and check out the webpage when it’s back online... not that that sounds weird or anything! 😳
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it up and running again let me know if you have any questions. Also going to post our favorite NZ things we've done.

Tips to traveling to NZ for a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome... have read it! Wish I could run like you do! Looking forward to NZ 2019 too, and a bit of a road trip to the South Island after the race 👍😁
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Tow Paw 70.3 at the weekend with a Zipp 808 plus cover, at 95psi. I weigh too much... Another guy in transition (way skinnier than me) was running a real disc and we pumped his up to 110.

The chip seal is rough, but having been in NZ since 2005 I guess I don't notice it so much these days. The wind on Saturday was kind, so no problems there, but having ridden the course lotsa times, it's rare for a cross wind on much of the course, it's usually a tail out to the turn, and a head wind back (not including the fiddly bits through town or along the lake front).

Oh, and Jocelyn was at our after party. And Syd. Which was incredibly nice of them both.
Quote Reply